Why does our club hate halfbacks?

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
I know, I saw the sarcasm but your point made me think about actual names.

All winners were champions, and all had great 5/8s too.

The weakest half on that list - Hornby- had Soward inside him.

Maloney, Munster, etc pop up too.
Sure - it's a good point you made in your original post.

I don't especially like him as a person, but I wondered why we didn't go after Adam Reynolds when Souths didn't want him. Top player and high percentage goal kicked but no apparent interest from us.

We supposedly tried for Shaun Johnson. Inconsistent but better than what we got.

And yeah you were right about Kimmorley. Top player and his experience showed. Took the right options and was always where he was meant to be.

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure - it's a good point you made in your original post.

I don't especially like him as a person, but I wondered why we didn't go after Adam Reynolds when Souths didn't want him. Top player and high percentage goal kicked but no apparent interest from us.

We supposedly tried for Shaun Johnson. Inconsistent but better than what we got.

And yeah you were right about Kimmorley. Top player and his experience showed. Took the right options and was always where he was meant to be.
Great points.
The proof really is in the results.
2008- spoon
2009- Joint minor premiers.

The only difference between the two years was Kimmorley and a few squeezed out broncos forwards in beastwood and Hannant.

We nab Hunt, and obtain Sele, whilst keeping Thommo on a new, more humble contract, I have no doubt we can replicate 2009.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Off top of my head, the last 15 premiership winning halfbacks are:
Cleary
Cleary
J Hughes
Cronk
Cronk
Cronk
Townsend
Thurston
Reynolds
Pearce/Maloney
Cronk
DCE
Cronk
Hornby
Cronk
Every team in the last 100 plus years have had a premiership winning halfback lol.
it’s an important position.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So you get that I was joking right?

Clearly, as a general rule a team needs a top shelf halfback to win a competition - as your list above indicates
Not rocket science.. other clubs focus on the spine.. while we havent had a good fullback since that crazy year Barba had and our last great halfback was prob Sherwin..

Meanwhile at other clubs..

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not rocket science.. other clubs focus on the spine.. while we havent had a good fullback since that crazy year Barba had and our last great halfback was prob Sherwin..

Meanwhile at other clubs..
…like Melbourne.
Who ONLY focus on the spinal tap.
Right now they are
Pap-Munster-Hughes-Grant
Ten years ago they were
Slater-Widdop-Cronk-Smith.

They focus solely on the halves and usually one marquee forward. The rest are workhorses and value players.

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m thinking the plan included Foran helping these rookies along and turning them in to premiership winners but with injuries it never got traction. Foran, in my opinion, was a great choice. But it can’t work if you only play three games in four years or whatever it was…

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ever since I was a baby I dont ever see any emphasis on the club focusing on this position, why?
It is the most important position.
We bought Flanagan, a roosters reject.
Before him we had Lewis. Just a rookie that tries and tackles.
Before that Mbye. A rookie.
Before him Hokko, who played well, but was another reject.
Before that Keating, a loser like Alamoti.
Before him we had Kimmorley, who I think we picked him up cheap as people thought he was stone washed like jeans, but, he fooled everyone and was A STAR! And look what happened? Took us from spoon to joint minor premiers one year.

Before him we had Rubbish after Sherwin.

My point is why have we disregarded this position for so long?
Even when we got it right, Hokko and Kimmorley, we basically took gambles on reject/washup that came good.

Why have we overlooked Marshall, Townsend, Moses, Reynolds when they were available the last 2 years?

Why have we not gone psycho for a player like Ben Hunt.

I just dont understand it. You cant win a comp without a 7. If we had a better player than keating in 2012 we win that grand final by 2-14 points.
So your solution is to bring in a has-been who has publicly stated he doesn't want to play in the NRL anymore.

That will fix everything.

You should apply for Gus' job.

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So your solution is to bring in a has-been who has publicly stated he doesn't want to play in the NRL anymore.

That will fix everything.

You should apply for Gus' job.
While Pearce is an upgrade that isn’t my solution.
Also he has actually come out and publically said he ands to return to the NRL. So you are wrong on that.

My solution is to open the wallet and bring in Hunt, if he is open to switch we need to do whatever it takes. I’d happily pay him 1.2 mil for next two years.
My back up would be SJ for around 850k two years.

we blew the chance to get Reynolds for 750/800. I think the club was worried about another Foran with injuries which is understandable, but the wrong decision in hindsight.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We havnt had a really good one since Sherwin and before him Stuart and then back to Turvey the GOAT..

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I’m thinking the plan included Foran helping these rookies along and turning them in to premiership winners but with injuries it never got traction. Foran, in my opinion, was a great choice. But it can’t work if you only play three games in four years or whatever it was…
Yes he was a good choice, but not on his own. Unfortunately everything channeled through him and nothing happened unless he was involved. Hence the opposition targeted him and his body just could not cope. There was no other creative player to share the load. Otherwise I believe he would have worked.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
While Pearce is an upgrade that isn’t my solution.
Also he has actually come out and publically said he ands to return to the NRL. So you are wrong on that.

My solution is to open the wallet and bring in Hunt, if he is open to switch we need to do whatever it takes. I’d happily pay him 1.2 mil for next two years.
My back up would be SJ for around 850k two years.

we blew the chance to get Reynolds for 750/800. I think the club was worried about another Foran with injuries which is understandable, but the wrong decision in hindsight.
Pearce dosen't want to be here.

How is that an upgrade?

Neither does SJ. He only wants to play for the Warriors.

So neither your 1st or 2nd choice want us but they are your solution.

You will shit it in to Gus' job.

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pearce dosen't want to be here.
Does so!
https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/i-still-feel-like-ive-got-some-footy-in-me-mitchell-pearce-open-to-nrl-return-after-surviving-rampaging-bull-in-france/news-story/f36aa9c7384f28947ffb18f0bedd4202#:~:text=Veteran%20halfback%20Mitchell%20Pearce%20says,in%20the%20English%20Super%20League.

How is that an upgrade?
Bro we have Flanagan, a publicity stunt and an 18 yr old kid who hasn't done anything. Nasheed is an upgrade on that let alone a 300 game veteran.
You disagree?

Neither does SJ. He only wants to play for the Warriors.
Proof or even strong evidence he 'only' wants to play for the warriors?

Why is he meeting Tigers management then? Just to tell them how much he loves Andrew Webster?

So neither your 1st or 2nd choice want us but they are your solution.
Well I just proved both points wrong so do not blame me if you cannot read good.

This is completely going over the fact I wrote this, you also ignored like a slut:
1684562446591.png

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We stuck around for too long with players like Lewis and Reynolds instead of being ruthless and dumping them

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We stuck around for too long with players like Lewis and Reynolds instead of being ruthless and dumping them
Yes and we are still fiddling around with Reynolds. His comeback was a nice feel good story. He had some good moments on the field, but is just not a sustainable option who could ever play 40min at a high level, let alone 80min. Really a wasted top 30 spot.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Does so!
https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/i-still-feel-like-ive-got-some-footy-in-me-mitchell-pearce-open-to-nrl-return-after-surviving-rampaging-bull-in-france/news-story/f36aa9c7384f28947ffb18f0bedd4202#:~:text=Veteran%20halfback%20Mitchell%20Pearce%20says,in%20the%20English%20Super%20League.

Bro we have Flanagan, a publicity stunt and an 18 yr old kid who hasn't done anything. Nasheed is an upgrade on that let alone a 300 game veteran.
You disagree?

Proof or even strong evidence he 'only' wants to play for the warriors?

Why is he meeting Tigers management then? Just to tell them how much he loves Andrew Webster?

Well I just proved both points wrong so do not blame me if you cannot read good.

This is completely going over the fact I wrote this, you also ignored like a slut:
View attachment 71954
Link: NRL 2023: Transfer Whispers, Ethan Quai-Blake to BulldogsShaun Johnson rejects Tigers, Warriors or retirement, player movement, contract, latest, updates (foxsports.com.au)

JOHNSON’S TIGERS SNUB REVEALED AS VETERAN WEIGHS UP HUGE FUTURE CALL

Veteran halfback Shaun Johnson has shunned an approach form the Tigers and will either retire or extend his deal with the Warriors for another season.

The Daily Telegraph reported Johnson has turned down a $1.3 million two-year deal from the Wests Tigers because he does not want to relocate his young family back to Australia.

Johnson spent three seasons with the Sharks from 2019 to 2021 before returning to the Warriors last season on a two-year deal that expires in November.

For someone so wrong you come across as so obsessed.

Raff

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Watch any game with teams that have a skilled playmaker and notice how smooth, slick and organised they play.

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Link: NRL 2023: Transfer Whispers, Ethan Quai-Blake to BulldogsShaun Johnson rejects Tigers, Warriors or retirement, player movement, contract, latest, updates (foxsports.com.au)

JOHNSON’S TIGERS SNUB REVEALED AS VETERAN WEIGHS UP HUGE FUTURE CALL

Veteran halfback Shaun Johnson has shunned an approach form the Tigers and will either retire or extend his deal with the Warriors for another season.

The Daily Telegraph reported Johnson has turned down a $1.3 million two-year deal from the Wests Tigers because he does not want to relocate his young family back to Australia.

Johnson spent three seasons with the Sharks from 2019 to 2021 before returning to the Warriors last season on a two-year deal that expires in November.

For someone so wrong you come across as so obsessed.
Ok I was wrong about SJ.
But right about the rest.

See how easy it is to admit when youre wrong?