Why does our club hate halfbacks?

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ever since I was a baby I dont ever see any emphasis on the club focusing on this position, why?
It is the most important position.
We bought Flanagan, a roosters reject.
Before him we had Lewis. Just a rookie that tries and tackles.
Before that Mbye. A rookie.
Before him Hokko, who played well, but was another reject.
Before that Keating, a loser like Alamoti.
Before him we had Kimmorley, who I think we picked him up cheap as people thought he was stone washed like jeans, but, he fooled everyone and was A STAR! And look what happened? Took us from spoon to joint minor premiers one year.

Before him we had Rubbish after Sherwin.

My point is why have we disregarded this position for so long?
Even when we got it right, Hokko and Kimmorley, we basically took gambles on reject/washup that came good.

Why have we overlooked Marshall, Townsend, Moses, Reynolds when they were available the last 2 years?

Why have we not gone psycho for a player like Ben Hunt.

I just dont understand it. You cant win a comp without a 7. If we had a better player than keating in 2012 we win that grand final by 2-14 points.

Australian Sensation

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Ever since I was a baby I dont ever see any emphasis on the club focusing on this position, why?
Before him we had Kimmorley, who I think we picked him up cheap as people thought he was stone washed like jeans, but, he fooled everyone and was A STAR! And look what happened? Took us from spoon to joint minor premiers one year.

Even when we got it right, Hokko and Kimmorley, we basically took gambles on reject/washup that came good.

Why have we overlooked Marshall, Townsend, Moses, Reynolds when they were available the last 2 years?

I just dont understand it. You cant win a comp without a 7. If we had a better player than keating in 2012 we win that grand final by 2-14 points.
So are you saying we should bring in Mitchell Pearce?

XPICATE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We bought two 5/8, are playing a right centre on the left,a reserve grader at fullback and a 35 year old spanner on the bench.If you can work out why we haven’t developed or bought a 7 please let me know.Your quest is honourable

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We bought two 5/8, are playing a right centre on the left,a reserve grader at fullback and a 35 year old spanner on the bench.If you can work out why we haven’t developed or bought a 7 please let me know.Your quest is honourable
I will take a small guess, because I see other users say 'we are a team of mongrel forwards' and maybe we are chasing that and negleecting the real issue. Spine.
I will even be happy to trade JAC for a good spine player.

XPICATE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will take a small guess, because I see other users say 'we are a team of mongrel forwards' and maybe we are chasing that and negleecting the real issue. Spine.
I will even be happy to trade JAC for a good spine player.
If we are chasing that,we’re in a three legged race against bolt at full flight. Mongrel haha

XPICATE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont think Burton has right to dictate anymore. He is a good player but isn't kicking on as the star we hoped. He sits back too much.
Burton plays like he smokes half an ounce just to sleep.Some of the tackles he misses are putrid.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
When was the last time we had a prodigy halfback? Mbye? Thurston? It's been decades.....

XPICATE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When was the last time we had a prodigy halfback? Mbye? Thurston? It's been decades.....
to not have invested in the position we must be looking to BBO as our future half

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score

Halfback is not that important to winning a competition.

Recent examples are Cronk at Melbourne and Roosters, Reynolds at Souths and Cleary at Penrith. They aren't that good and the best they could do was play State of Origin and at international representative level.

By contrast we got Flanagan.

Years like 2004 we had Sherwin, 1995 we CPM and back in the 80s we had Turvey. They weren't that good either and we luckily fluked about 5 premierships with them as #7.

Last edited:

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Halfback is not that important to winning a competition.

Recent examples are Cronk at Melbourne and Roosters, Reynolds at Souths and Clearly at Penrith. They aren't that good and the best they could do was play State of Origin and at international representative level.

By contrast we got Flanagan.

Years like 2004 we had Sherwin, 1995 we CPM and back in the 80s we had Turvey. They weren't that good either and we luckily fluked about 5 premierships with them as #7.
Off top of my head, the last 15 premiership winning halfbacks are:
Cleary
Cleary
J Hughes
Cronk
Cronk
Cronk
Townsend
Thurston
Reynolds
Pearce/Maloney
Cronk
DCE
Cronk
Hornby
Cronk

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
Off top of my head, the last 15 premiership winning halfbacks are:
Cleary
Cleary
J Hughes
Cronk
Cronk
Cronk
Townsend
Thurston
Reynolds
Pearce/Maloney
Cronk
DCE
Cronk
Hornby
Cronk
So you get that I was joking right?

Clearly, as a general rule a team needs a top shelf halfback to win a competition - as your list above indicates

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you get that I was joking right?

Clearly, as a general rule a team needs a top shelf halfback to win a competition - as your list above indicates
I know, I saw the sarcasm but your point made me think about actual names.

All winners were champions, and all had great 5/8s too.

The weakest half on that list - Hornby- had Soward inside him.

Maloney, Munster, etc pop up too.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes for a hb it has been decades. Should have gone all out for AR, Been too long since we’ve had a genuine FB too.