Why Bulldogs WILL NOT make the Top 8 in 2022 | NRL | Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs

Mike Z

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Barrett was the one who recruited Flanagan Allen and Waddell.
He had no one else available to recruit. He had no choice. Or other names that would have been equally worse or way worse.

He inherited a bad team. That has been bad for 5 years.

This is the year we can make accurate judgement on HIS COACHING Ability.

If we don't see major improvements with this team, then yes we can Blame his coaching.

Major improvements does not guarantee top 8.

We can win more games than last year.
Lose games that are way closer and not cricket scores. Be competitive and just lose a game in the last 5 minutes.

Many scenarios and outcomes await us. So let's just wait until kick off. Then everyone can analyse our game.

If your negative about Barrett NOW then what's the point of buying players and expecting to get better.

Show some confidence and loyalty...

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not what I believe I think we will kick ass after a slowish start and finish between 6th to 8th position, but the clip below does put up a compelling argument....

Hardly a compelling argument. It says we signed a million players, but most of them are not spine players. We have replaced 2 of the 4, so what more do people want.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And every year we hear how the team is training the house down, then face more disappointment when we watch them play.

I'm not raising my hopes too high for 2022, and will be happy with just getting more than three wins for the season.
Until this team learns to play what is in front of them and can adjust to the game day influences better than the opposition (weather, ref interpretations, gameday injuries, gameday discipline, etc), i think we will be in the 7th-14th position.

We now have players that can convert a spilt ball into a length of field try or boot us out of trouble. This alone should keep us off the bottom. But we need to play smart to snatch a top 8 spot.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
1. Storm, 2. Roosters, 3. Panthers
4. Manly, 5. Rabbitohs,
6. Sharks, 7. Eels
8. Raiders, 9. Titans, 10. Broncos, 11. Knights, 12. Bulldogs, 13. Dragons, 14. Warriors, 15. Tigers
16. Cowboys

We can finish anywhere in that 8th-15th bracket, but I wouldn't be expecting to finish 8th, something like 12th is a lot more reasonable. 23 when we get Mahoney and Kikau is when we'll push for the 8 imo.

When I look through a lot of the rosters of the teams in the 8th-15th bracket they've strengthened a lot. It's not just us. The Dragons, Warriors and Tigers will still be hard to beat.
You have us 12th???

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
1. Storm, 2. Roosters, 3. Panthers
4. Manly, 5. Rabbitohs,
6. Sharks, 7. Eels
8. Raiders, 9. Titans, 10. Broncos, 11. Knights, 12. Bulldogs, 13. Dragons, 14. Warriors, 15. Tigers
16. Cowboys

We can finish anywhere in that 8th-15th bracket, but I wouldn't be expecting to finish 8th, something like 12th is a lot more reasonable. 23 when we get Mahoney and Kikau is when we'll push for the 8 imo.

When I look through a lot of the rosters of the teams in the 8th-15th bracket they've strengthened a lot. It's not just us. The Dragons, Warriors and Tigers will still be hard to beat.
We beat the dragons and tigers with last years pathetic roster.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
You have us 12th???
Yes and so does betting sites. Expecting to finish any higher is dangerous, but possible. I can't put us any higher and I'm already giving us the benefit of the doubt on the 50/50 games.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We beat the dragons and tigers with last years pathetic roster.
The Dragons roster on same level as ours. Tigers not too far behind too. So hard to beat. They're 50/50 games in my eyes.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Hardly a compelling argument. It says we signed a million players, but most of them are not spine players. We have replaced 2 of the 4, so what more do people want.
Dufty is one of the worst fullbacks in the NRL when comparing him to other fullbacks so I'm not fussed with people only implying Burton is all we've signed for the spine as that's a significant upgrade.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
He had no one else available to recruit. He had no choice. Or other names that would have been equally worse or way worse.

He inherited a bad team. That has been bad for 5 years.

This is the year we can make accurate judgement on HIS COACHING Ability.

If we don't see major improvements with this team, then yes we can Blame his coaching.

Major improvements does not guarantee top 8.

We can win more games than last year.
Lose games that are way closer and not cricket scores. Be competitive and just lose a game in the last 5 minutes.

Many scenarios and outcomes await us. So let's just wait until kick off. Then everyone can analyse our game.

If your negative about Barrett NOW then what's the point of buying players and expecting to get better.

Show some confidence and loyalty...
He had a choice to keep Foran instead of signing Flanagan. I would of signed both personally but Barrett put all his eggs in Burton coming over early and Flanagan turned out to be the worst half in existence (at the time I also thought he was a good signing). Allan and Waddell were both bad signings at the time and now/hindsight imo.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He had a choice to keep Foran instead of signing Flanagan. I would of signed both personally but Barrett put all his eggs in Burton coming over early and Flanagan turned out to be the worst half in existence (at the time I also thought he was a good signing). Allan and Waddell were both bad signings at the time and now/hindsight imo.
Foran would have been handy obviously but the way we performed i doubt we win many(any?)more games with him trying to lift us almost on his own.
It was shown at Manly he is best as a bit player these days, think we actually did him a favour..

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Dufty is one of the worst fullbacks in the NRL when comparing him to other fullbacks so I'm not fussed with people only implying Burton is all we've signed for the spine as that's a significant upgrade.
He's a good fullback, plus he's the type of player we need if our hooker isn't doing much with offloads. Dragons coach Griffin didn't agree with Dufty wanting to play around the ruck for 2nd phase play. People have instilled in their heads the SMH article that was trying to work out why Dufty left but that was a null article since Dufty recently came out and said why he left dragons (it was regarding attack not his defence). The proof is in the pudding, analyse every game he played and you'd realise what Dufty is talking about. We definitely need Duftys style of play. He's defence wasn't the issue, plenty of fullbacks miss what Dufty missed in defence, plus he's a communicator, not many kids keep at this in our tiring game. Think of him as a Rod Silva

PaulS

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The dogs will finish a credible 9th in 2022. 2023 and 2024 is when they should and must be challenging around top 4

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve got us pegged 11-14th. Still a long way to go after the last few years of dribble. I would be happy to see a few young guys develop and then bring in the troops in 23 and give the competition a real shake.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
He's a good fullback, plus he's the type of player we need if our hooker isn't doing much with offloads. Dragons coach Griffin didn't agree with Dufty wanting to play around the ruck for 2nd phase play. People have instilled in their heads the SMH article that was trying to work out why Dufty left but that was a null article since Dufty recently came out and said why he left dragons (it was regarding attack not his defence). The proof is in the pudding, analyse every game he played and you'd realise what Dufty is talking about. We definitely need Duftys style of play. He's defence wasn't the issue, plenty of fullbacks miss what Dufty missed in defence, plus he's a communicator, not many kids keep at this in our tiring game. Think of him as a Rod Silva
If I was to order all of the starting fullbacks in the NRL by best to worst Dufty is at the bottom. I don't think someone in that boat is a good fullback personally. You can't say everyone is a good. There are bad players. Those are the expectations anyways, anything else is hope.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If I was to order all of the starting fullbacks in the NRL by best to worst Dufty is at the bottom. I don't think someone in that boat is a good fullback personally. You can't say everyone is a good. There are bad players. Those are the expectations anyways, anything else is hope.
First of all, think of what we need as a team in attack. He's the last line of defence, our dline needs to be better, laterally especially. If the fullback is meant to trysave all the time what's that mean about our defence?
He offers what we need, sort of promotes off the cuff footy, allows us to have a standard halfback to do their general duties and let Burton play simple, do a fittler step or release the backs.
Once realised on the above qualities we need in a fullback (we lacked points and were too predictable), then list all the starting fullbacks available (or just list the other 15), probably only several can do what Dufty offers. He's different to a latrell Mitchell for example. If our forwards dominate and promote the ball, Dufty is expected to be there based on the way he says he wants to and has played. With a dominant pack and Dufty, we should see a lot of action, shut the gates.
List the fullbacks u mention and see if they can provide the spark in attack off our forwards, basically his play focuses on being a support runner at the very least, that in itself helps a lot.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
First of all, think of what we need as a team in attack. He's the last line of defence, our dline needs to be better, laterally especially. If the fullback is meant to trysave all the time what's that mean about our defence?
He offers what we need, sort of promotes off the cuff footy, allows us to have a standard halfback to do their general duties and let Burton play simple, do a fittler step or release the backs.
Once realised on the above qualities we need in a fullback (we lacked points and were too predictable), then list all the starting fullbacks available (or just list the other 15), probably only several can do what Dufty offers. He's different to a latrell Mitchell for example. If our forwards dominate and promote the ball, Dufty is expected to be there based on the way he says he wants to and has played. With a dominant pack and Dufty, we should see a lot of action, shut the gates.
List the fullbacks u mention and see if they can provide the spark in attack off our forwards, basically his play focuses on being a support runner at the very least, that in itself helps a lot.
Trbo, Kennedy, Latrell, Tedesco, Ponga, Walsh, Laurie, Papenhuyzen, Gutherson, Campbell, Hammer.

I would even take a Tesi Niu over Dufty if we're talking in general (I would of even taken Meaney over Dufty, both our club and the Storm thought the same). CNK and Edwards are much better players than Dufty too. I could literally argue Dufty's the worst fullback in the NRL.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We don't have to do as many drilled plays, like running blocks all the time with Dufty there, definitely an improvement in that position (and area of the field) for us. He's not ben Barba but we'll see many more plays to cheer about when Dufty plays.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Trbo, Kennedy, Latrell, Tedesco, Ponga, Walsh, Laurie, Papenhuyzen, Gutherson, Campbell, Hammer.

I would even take a Tesi Niu over Dufty if we're talking in general (I would of even taken Meaney over Dufty, both our club and the Storm thought the same). CNK and Edwards are much better players than Dufty too. I could literally argue Dufty's the worst fullback in the NRL.
Worst fullback in the NRL, hahahahaha

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Worst fullback in the NRL, hahahahaha
I would take every other starting NRL fullback over Dufty, the only exception is the Dragons because I don't know who their fullback will be. Even if you'd take Dufty over Niu (I wouldn't) it's clutching at straws. Would you like to list the fullbacks you think Dufty is better then so I can laugh at you?