News Why blank cheque from Bulldogs couldn't cure Bateman's homesick blues

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Would have been great to get him, but he hasn't been at his best in the later half of the season. Thought he played a whole lot better last season.
Think it was a combo of injury recovery and he’d partly checked out after deciding to go home. Now the Raiders are gone he’s probably started packing...

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don’t see him as a good option. He’s carrying a few injuries, only played 8-9 games for Wigan this season, of a possible 20. His form hasn’t been great from the games I’ve seen him play. And he would want near double what we would have from releasing Elliott.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Hate the blank cheque reference..

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don’t see him as a good option. He’s carrying a few injuries, only played 8-9 games for Wigan this season, of a possible 20. His form hasn’t been great from the games I’ve seen him play. And he would want near double what we would have from releasing Elliott.
^^
This.. carried injuries all year and has been average. Will not warrant his asking price. He is a competitor and a leader so wouldn’t close the door at the right price but it’s a no from me…I’m with Gus, money is desperately needed in the spine.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Glad we were in the running but once again an open cheque for a forward??? I thought Des left? This should be our approach for the right spine players only.
Previous admin not only released then paid players to play for other clubs they also overpaid the current duds in the roster, became desperate to sign anyone so they signed Cotric 650k and Thompson 850k a season and offered Bateman a blank cheque...
All for the purpose of covering up their failures

Last edited:

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This definitely puts doubt in my mind.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I don't know how Bateman has gone overseas but he's going to be 28/29 next year and if all the injuries are true he'll be a lot cheaper than the 800k it was reported we were throwing around before. Bateman's one of the best winners/competitors I've seen in the NRL. Also he had some strike to him even tho it was unorthodox. If he's genuine and wants to come back to Australia I think a two year deal for what he's now worth is a no brainer.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bateman just wants cash
No. We have enough back rowers at the club
We need to look at a half and dummy half before another back rower that will want big money

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bateman just wants a good pay day, a good injury rehab program and some warm weather to enjoy while on the sidelines. Pass this time around