News Why blank cheque from Bulldogs couldn't cure Bateman's homesick blues

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canberra's John Bateman says he is ready to go home to England. He misses his family.

There have even been nights when he has discovered old letters from his mother and burst into tears.

Not even interest from six rival NRL clubs was going to keep him in Australia and stop him re-signing with Super League heavyweights Wigan.

Canterbury basically handed him a blank cheque and told him to name his price but he still wasn't interested.

"I'm ready to go back,'' the Raiders back-rower told the Herald.
"When I was about to head to Australia in January, if someone had said, 'you won't be seeing your family for another 10 months', I wouldn't have got on the plane.

"I've lost three grand finals with Wigan in England and I've never kept a medallion,'' he says.

"I never kept my medal after the World Cup loss. I've given them all to my grandmother [Pat] and she loves them. She came over for the grand final last year and I gave her my medal after the game. She said, 'keep it', but I said, 'I don't want it'.

"Nobody remembers second.

"My grandmother now has more losing medals than I do winning medals, which doesn't sit too well for me. I play to win. Everyone does. We need to go one better this year. That's when I want to play my last game here.

"What we went through last year, it killed a few of us. We've got the team to win it this year. We're a team who wants to win it.''
Club bosses of all colours watching the action at the Sydney Cricket Ground will need little reminding of why Bateman could have been such a gun for another few years in the NRL.

The Bulldogs, who were the front-runners for his signature a few months ago, signed fellow Raider Nick Cotric and had fellow Brit Luke Thompson on the books.

"I was pretty close to signing with Canterbury,'' Bateman said.

"We kept going back and forth with money and it got to the point where they basically said, 'tell us what you want'.
"I take my hat off to [chief executive] Andrew Hill, he's a great bloke and was clear on what the club wanted to do moving forward.

"You look at where they are now and people were saying, 'why would you want to sign there?'. Before I arrived in Canberra they had finished down the ladder [and missed their share of finals].

"I spoke with St George Illawarra and [recruitment boss] Ian Millward via Zoom. A few clubs came in late, just with inquiries, including the Broncos, Manly, Parramatta and Cronulla.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Glad we were in the running but once again an open cheque for a forward??? I thought Des left? This should be our approach for the right spine players only.
Who knows what we've got left to spend though. Every good player we bring in might help entice others on more reasonable money. And it sounds pretty much like the money we were offering him was pretty close to getting him here. It might have just been enough to let him ask for $50k more and secure a consistent second rower that would vastly improve our edges. But it seems like money wasn't ever going to win the day with him. Perhaps if we're looking at a homesick foreigner next time, we should be asking which family members do you want to bring out to Aus instead.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Anyone anti Hill isn't going to like what Bateman says.

It is encouraging that he was seriously thinking of joining us though. But given especially what has happened this year with the pandemic and all, there was always going to be a change in direction for a significant number of players. Some are going to fight harder for their playing careers, others are going to lose interest and turn to their other options rather than risk serious injury, and others are going to miss family a lot more.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had we paid anymore than 600k for this guy I would of been ropable . You would think the club would of learned there lesson in regards to overpaying back rowers and props.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Had we paid anymore than 600k for this guy I would of been ropable . You would think the club would of learned there lesson in regards to overpaying back rowers and props.
That's what a club in our position has to play unfortunately (800k for Bateman would of been very good for us, the Roosters even paid that, if not more, for Chrichton). Last year he was the best second rower in the league imo. The Raiders win % without Bateman isn't pretty. He's also a player that will make everyone around him better, and yes he can do that from the second row position. He competes on everything and is unorthodox, don't underestimate his talent either. Very sad to see a player as good as him leave the NRL after this year.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's also a player that will make everyone around him better, and yes he can do that from the second row position. He competes on everything and is unorthodox, don't underestimate his talent either.
This is how I think a player like kotoni staggs and a firing Cotric can do to the rest of our team from the centres. Potentially could be our version of Mitchell and Manu.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
This is one of those hindsight fairytale articles Steeped in myth.

The fact is,
We pissed off his manager and as a result the guy was steered away from us.
That's the thing with drawn out negotiations. Every hour that goes past is another opportunity for a playa to have second thoughts. Exactly what happened.
I am not new to the recruitment world. Nasheed knows recruitment. There's a big Element of snapping up talent quickly and quietly before they can really look at other options.
A good truckie like @Caveman for instance. This wigga can have an MC licence, Road ranger experience, 18 gears even. Over 2 years experience so no insurance issue. But the longer you wait, the more he can figure out that your competition may offer a dollar an hour less, but more double pay overtime, so the dollars roll in (truckies love their OT). The medical and police checks and all that is drawn out enough, some cowboy operators don't even bother with medical and police checks.
So you gots to act fast. Before these guys do the Maths and look at all the other perks of rejecting you.
Just like Bateman.
And imma fear the same might occur with Jack Hetherington if we not careful

Last edited:

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I also do t understand why Bateman couldn't just import Millie to Australia

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they have the blank cheque and prepare to offer it, there are good players they could get

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
What a sob story, harden up and win in a gutsy rebuild.