Why are we playing a "home" game against NZ in NZ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with it at least our brothers and sisters from NZ get to watch the dogs live once a year.
Hope the dogs put on a good show and win.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Meh. Every team does it.

It's not like Belmore/ANZ is giving us any advantage.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Am i the only one that is finding this a bit strange?

I know there was a lot going on in Sydney this week but surely ensuring we get a win (rather than a chunk of money from nz) should have been priority especially for members by playing in Sydney.

Can someone who is a member tell me how you guys are being reimbursed for this "home" game which most of you won't be able to attend?

This reeks of Raelene trying to milk the bottom line over prioritising on field results. Last I looked the club wasn't that broke.
Simple answer
Money

Doggies2035

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think the reason why is because for some strange reason dogs get equal or a little bit short of supporters then warriors. in a way bulldogs are smart they take it nz knowing a lot of kiwis support us and by that they buy our merchandise and stuff so in return dogs take a home game there to say thank you and more money means better facilities for our club and besides warriors bulldogs have the biggest fan support in nz

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We always have had a large Kiwi or islander playing group since the early 2000s

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
'cos its Brad Abbey's debut and he's a New Zealander?

Endeavour

Kennel Participant
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not sure if the Bulldog's would take another home game to Dunedin. I think they only went there due to stadium availability anyway. The crowd was just over 10 000 which is small but if you consider a few things doesn't work out too bad.

Thats 10 000 out of a city that has a popualation of 120 000 and has no affiliation to the Bulldogs at all. Not only that it isn't even really a true Warriors town as League is far, far behind Union in popularity down here. This is the Highlanders home city.

Dunedin is at the other end of the country than Auckland so people from Auckland who might travel to Hamilton or Wellington to watch the Dogs might not travel to Dunedin.

I think the Warriors in Auckland where their membership base can draw up to 16 000 on a really good day but that is out of a population of 1.5 million.

Whats a good Sydney crowd for a regular Bulldogs game? Taking into account somewhere like ANZ is a home ground for many Sydney based teams even if it isn't a home ground for a particular game.

Michael Lichaa said after the game that it felt like a Warriors home game. That actually distorted the fact that there were way more Bulldogs supporters there than I thought there would be. We actually made a pretty good showing.

I have just flicked off an email to Dunedin venues to inquire about one of the main stands not being open. We were all packed into the Speights stand like sardines and probably made a good showing on tv but I was so mad to see the other stand empty. Not only did this cut down on what seats I could choose from.....it meant in the end I didn't take my son because if we did we would have to buy rubbish seats. Not sure if this is a Dunedin venues idea or ticketmaster, NRL or CBB but it sucked majorly.

Also completely over the ridiculous spam from Steve Turner and Daryl Halligan reading off their clipboards over and over and over and over about memberships and merchandise.

But all in all a good night. Could have had more people but the students were out on the town getting drunk for St Patricks day rather than attending the footy. Crowd behaviour was really good and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. It was fun being surrounded by Warriors supporters (including my partner) and then winning the game

Unfortunately the team didn't stay out on the field very long after the game so the fans who weren't down the front couldn't get down to take photos or meet anyone. My seat was up by the warriors coaching box.

Still pinching myself that I got to see them and I reckon I must be a pretty awesome good luck charm!

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We would have lost last night if the fa was at our 'fortress ' Belmore

Status
Not open for further replies.