Why are we playing a "home" game against NZ in NZ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Am i the only one that is finding this a bit strange?

I know there was a lot going on in Sydney this week but surely ensuring we get a win (rather than a chunk of money from nz) should have been priority especially for members by playing in Sydney.

Can someone who is a member tell me how you guys are being reimbursed for this "home" game which most of you won't be able to attend?

This reeks of Raelene trying to milk the bottom line over prioritising on field results. Last I looked the club wasn't that broke.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
They don't charge for this game in the season ticket price, the only reason we play it over there is because we get a kick back from either the Dunedin stadium or government it's all about the money.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah we give up a home games once or twice a year lately. Funnily enough we usually win them... and then lose at home/Belmore

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Like others have said it's all about the money.

We have I think 10 games a year at anz (as part of the contract), we have 1-2 at belmore. Then we get a few of the away games at anz too. So instead of having season tickets for 15-16 games we end up taking a few to nz or Brisbane or elsewhere.

Main reason for all this is to expand our growth and of course because we will make some money (compared to belmore which apparently loses money every time we play there according to the boss lady).

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't we start doing this under Noad? Fuck me you guys look at any excuse to mock Raelene. This has been a pretty successful tactic by the Dogs in the past to reward NZ supporters (of which we have many) and is an attempt to help secure young Kiwi fans. Financially we don't get a crowd against the Warriors anyway so there are financial benefits over there as well.

Endeavour

Kennel Participant
Gilded
Reaction score
Didn't we start doing this under Noad? Fuck me you guys look at any excuse to mock Raelene. This has been a pretty successful tactic by the Dogs in the past to reward NZ supporters (of which we have many) and is an attempt to help secure young Kiwi fans. Financially we don't get a crowd against the Warriors anyway so there are financial benefits over there as well.
Have my tickets :grinning:. Everyone I know who is going (apart from me of course) is a Warriors supporter. Donny Singe is giving a talk at my workplace on Thursday and might bring some players with him! I never thought I would ever get to see the Bulldogs play so this is pretty exciting for me.

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

I know there was a lot going on in Sydney this week but surely ensuring we get a win (rather than a chunk of money from nz) should have been priority especially for members by playing in Sydney.

Can someone who is a member tell me how you guys are being reimbursed for this "home" game which most of you won't be able to attend?

This reeks of Raelene trying to milk the bottom line over prioritising on field results. Last I looked the club wasn't that broke.
Another Aunty's, great idea

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This question gets asked every season.
Apparently we're that good, that we don't need a home ground advantage ?

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I laugh every year when they announce us as the home team and all you hear is the crowd booing.

I know we have supporters in NZ and it gives them an opportunity to see a game but there are probably more sensible places and teams we could do this against.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Two games to watch live in NZ as a member I'm stoked

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Its happened for years and we usually win that match, so hasnt had too much impact for me or the team, but i guess if i moved back to Sydney at some point and could get to a lot of games, i would do so, so missing one that i would have been able to get to if played at ANZ, it would suck in that case.

MitchNewton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

We've been doing this for around 10 years way before Castle came along. Every team takes a home game away during the season.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its like the home game they play in Brisbane sometimes, they try and be the NRL Bulldogs and milk away memberships, you can even get Hunter Valley Bulldog memberships.
The club sells more merchandise than any other club.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
Purely for money tbh, can't even remember the last time the dogs played the warriors in Sydney.

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
They brought that in for the membership money if I recall correctly, not sure its the best plan, but it seems there is nowhere we have a home field advantage so not sure it matters a whole lot. If the NZ based fans enjoy it, or the local fans enjoy the holiday in NZ, then why not.

It's also pretty possible a few of the players with family there would enjoy the couple extra trips there per season.

This time round, kinda excited to see Abbey running out as our fb there. Somewhat a poetic debut for him, first time out with us against the team he came from, has the makings of a very good rugby league story.

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We could play on the surface of the moon for all i care as long as we win!!!...haha

(tough i an expecting the worst sadly)

Status
Not open for further replies.