why are we paying $2.22 for Fuel

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I just had to pay 2.45. My car only takes premium fuel and brisbane fuel prices always higher than Sydney for some reason :/
Slightly higher.

again it comes down to logistics as Sydney and Melbourne are the main ports where the majority of crude oil tankers are parked.

It costs more to ship it to the only refinery in QLD than to the ones in NSW and VIC.

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
STRONG ADVICE FOR EVERYONE

If you fill up your tank full when prices are this high, you are not doing yourself any favors. BUDGET your refill. So for me for example, I'll only put in $20 worth of fuel, and that will get me around until the prices start to go down. Do don't fill up based on your tanks status, fill up to a budget. Then when prices go down, top-up to the top.

Secondly, download the fuel app and buy petrol at the cheaper servos.

You should only fill up your car right to the top while prices are this high if you're travelling long distance, not just to go a few suburbs away.
I do the same, unfortunately some people can't budget their finances and is better for them to fill up to next pay day.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I do the same, unfortunately some people can't budget their finances and is better for them to fill up to next pay day.
Well it's not really better... they're just stupid.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Im not
Use the 711 app and fuel watch
use the helicopter on ozbargain too if u can be bothered
There’s a handy fuel app called ‘Petty’ that’s good.
Also for general cost of living there’s apps called ‘Half Price’ (literally what it says, lists all groceries currently half price at major chains) and ‘Frugal’ which shows discounts at different shops near you - PITA in some ways but if you put the time in can save around $50/week which goes a fair way to a tank of petrol.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
There’s a handy fuel app called ‘Petty’ that’s good.
Also for general cost of living there’s apps called ‘Half Price’ (literally what it says, lists all groceries currently half price at major chains) and ‘Frugal’ which shows discounts at different shops near you - PITA in some ways but if you put the time in can save around $50/week which goes a fair way to a tank of petrol.
Good advice bro, thank you.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I have an 04 Corolla, 98 gets me about 550kms, 95 gets about 500kms, that putrid 91 only gets me about 420kms.

Don't know about that E10 piss as I have never used it in my life.
Holden Commodore (VF). 91 gets me 700kms. 98 gets me 700kms plus a feeling that I'm better than everyone else.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I have an 04 Corolla, 98 gets me about 550kms, 95 gets about 500kms, that putrid 91 only gets me about 420kms.

Don't know about that E10 piss as I have never used it in my life.
Chopping and changing from E10 to 98 is not going to get you any where.

98 is cost effective in the LONG RUN for both the fuel efficiency and your engine, fuel injectors , fuel pump etc .

If you love your car and you intend it to keep for more than 4 years and you want to see long term benefits for your pocket and your vehicle use 98 .

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

98 is cost effective in the LONG RUN for both the fuel efficiency and your engine, fuel injectors , fuel pump etc .

If you love your car and you intend it to keep for more than 4 years and you want to see long term benefits for your pocket and your vehicle use 98 .
Depends on the engine and the build. Most engines benefit from 98 occasionally. Some need it all the time. Many engines run fine on 91 their whole lives. But no engine. And I mean no engine ever. No engine should ever use E10. It's pure rubbish.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Disclaimer: Not a mechanic. This is just what I have been told by every mechanic I have ever dealt with.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Depends on the engine and the build. Most engines benefit from 98 occasionally. Some need it all the time. Many engines run fine on 91 their whole lives. But no engine. And I mean no engine ever. No engine should ever use E10. It's pure rubbish.
Yes and no .

I will only put E10 in rental cars . Too many negatives to list here .

Engines will run fine on 91 sure but you get more life out if your engine , fuel pump , fuel lines if you use 98 .

It’s like comparing a guy eating fast food every day with a person who eats healthy food .

Both may live up to average age but quality of life would definitely be different if you go by the likelihood and probability.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes and no .

I will only put E10 in rental cars . Too many negatives to list here .

Engines will run fine on 91 sure but you get more life out if your engine , fuel pump , fuel lines if you use 98 .

It’s like comparing a guy eating fast food every day with a person who eats healthy food .

Both may live up to average age but quality of life would definitely be different if you go by the likelihood and probability.
Not all cars. Most modern cars have protection against damage against poor fuels. The knocking or pinging effect that cheaper fuels have is countered by a red line system. The only exception being old cars, or certain European models that aren't designed for that. But that's why you always follow what it says in the manual

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Not all cars. Most modern cars have protection against damage against poor fuels. The knocking or pinging effect that cheaper fuels have is countered by a red line system. The only exception being old cars, or certain European models that aren't designed for that. But that's why you always follow what it says in the manual

Yup definitely not for old cars that have spent most of their lives running on lower spec fuel . Agree always stick to oem specs for fuel .

Oem specs for lubrication , different story

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yup definitely not for old cars that have spent most of their lives running on lower spec fuel . Agree always stick to oem specs for fuel .

Oem specs for lubrication , different story

But oems also sometimes recommend E10 as a cheaper option

I will never put that shit

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score

I have the missus fill her shitbox up with 98 ron once every few weeks for just that reason. Me - no choice. 98 only for the wrexy.

Another cool little tip if you want to get a few free litres - fill up when its cold. Say you need 50L, if you fill up when its 5-10C as opposed to 20-25C, probably up to 2L for free with the density difference. And pump meters calculate on what goes past the pump - so if you fill up when its warm, that up to 2L you're paying for is air.

So only fuel up early in the mornings noting that the storage tanks are underground and it takes most of the day for them to warm up (and they stay warm for most of the night).

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I have the missus fill her shitbox up with 98 ron once every few weeks for just that reason. Me - no choice. 98 only for the wrexy.

Another cool little tip if you want to get a few free litres - fill up when its cold. Say you need 50L, if you fill up when its 5-10C as opposed to 20-25C, probably up to 2L for free with the density difference. And pump meters calculate on what goes past the pump - so if you fill up when its warm, that up to 2L you're paying for is air.

So only fuel up early in the mornings noting that the storage tanks are underground and it takes most of the day for them to warm up (and they stay warm for most of the night).

I am sure the pumps deliver exactly what the meter is saying .

The pumps are checked regularly and calibrated .

If a pump is found to be not putting the volume out what it is saying on the meter then heavy fines are issued.

I heavily doubt there would be a difference of 2L.

Last edited: