Who will be our 2015 Fullback?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBDog

In the Zone
Reaction score
If this thompson kid is training hard and hasler has faith in him im all for it. As for templeman training in halves atleast that creates competition and will have hodko on his toes. Looking forward to a postive year. And btw the players cousin said the boys are all extremely happy the rat has gone to brisbane
Could be right about the 'rat'.
From the start of last year you could sense something was wrong.
'12 they put in and fought like they were beside each other in the trenches.
Even though we look like we are in need of a established experienced top class fullback and a half I feel that
with the old team harmony we will put it all together and surprise many.
Cant wait for 2014

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lol if u think tempo is small then thompson is even smaller. Hed be 75kilos dripping wet. He may be killing it at pre season but nothing compares to game time experience and size really does matter.
He's heavier than me, so I'm impressed. Penrith once had a fullback - Bailey was it? who was only around the 60kg mark, so size isn't everything. I played junior league, and at the age of 19, weighed in at 56kg and survived.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Id just love to have a big strong fullback for once in a while. One that can bring the ball back and get us on the front foot to open our set from a kick chase. I didnt mea to offend thompson at all, i just prioritise a bigger stronger fb.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Id just love to have a big strong fullback for once in a while. One that can bring the ball back and get us on the front foot to open our set from a kick chase. I didnt mea to offend thompson at all, i just prioritise a bigger stronger fb.
Just wondering, when did a team last win a comp with a big fb?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Lol if u think tempo is small then thompson is even smaller. Hed be 75kilos dripping wet. He may be killing it at pre season but nothing compares to game time experience and size really does matter.
Erm sorry to correct you but that's wrong.

Thompson is about 180cm tall, and 92 kgs. Has a similar height and build to Sam Perrett. Very lean and athletic. I'd say when he returns in the new year he'll be closer to 95kgs.

Templeman is supposidely 184cm and 82kgs. He's all skin and bones. Sure he has ability, but he's rather lanky. Even in NYC I was always afraid he'd snap in half with a big hit.

With those stats that would make Thompson:
Heavier and taller than Billy Slater
Around the same height/weight as Brett Stewart and Josh Hoffman.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Must be following a different corey thompson on insta then. Sorry my bad.
Heading into season 2014 big strong outside backs is the way to go imo. Thats why we chased folau so heavily and jarryd hayne. Goodluck to corey if he is the fb an i will support him 100%.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It states on his east tigers profile that he is 172cm tall and 90kg and on the "anybody know anything about corey thompson" thread. But once more, i hope he kills it in fb and solves our fb dilemma

Doggy Styles

Waterboy
Reaction score
I agree.. Unless the new fullback can defend..

Des knows what he is doing.. We will be sweet..

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lots of chatter on here about Patrick Templeman being to small.. Perhaps the best fullback ever, Les Johns, who happened to play for the Berries, was 5' 7" and weighed 70 kgs. He was as tough as any and his size didnt stop him. He played many state games and also tests for Aus. Done be fooled about size.

N

Natboy

My autographed Clive Churchill memorabilia just fell off the wall when you said that haha but yeah Les Johns was awesome & tiny like Clive
We are over-emphasising the fullback size thing a bit top much

adamski007

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Lots of chatter on here about Patrick Templeman being to small.. Perhaps the best fullback ever, Les Johns, who happened to play for the Berries, was 5' 7" and weighed 70 kgs. He was as tough as any and his size didnt stop him. He played many state games and also tests for Aus. Done be fooled about size.
In modern day NRL you cant have a 70kg fullback regardless, all of the players were at least 15-20kg lighter back then...........I mean have a look at them!

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't think you can play NRL successfully at 70kgs in this era.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Must be following a different corey thompson on insta then. Sorry my bad.
Heading into season 2014 big strong outside backs is the way to go imo. Thats why we chased folau so heavily and jarryd hayne. Goodluck to corey if he is the fb an i will support him 100%.
http://thetigers.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=416&Itemid
172cm and 92kgs according to Feb 2013 edit on that page.

He's a pretty stocky sort of bloke though.
http://staticnrl.sportalhosting.com/site/_content/LeadImage/00107065-leadimage.jpg

Has a very "AFL Player" like build to him.

FWIW he is with us for 2 years.

Anyone who is 5'7" and 70 kgs would get destroyed in NRL today. Just look at how many massive islanders there are. Have a bloke that size get towelled up by Trex/Frankie P/Dogzilla and they'll be scraping him off the field for the next 6 months.

If you look at player heights from Zerotackle: http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/rugby-league/players/tallest-shortest/see-all-height/
There aren't many decent players until 5'8".

Likewise if you look at player weights: http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/rugby-league/players/heaviest-lightest/see-all-weight/
The lightest is 75kgs, and most lightweights (with the exception of Sam Tomkins whose weight I'm sure is wrong), aren't that good.

Ultimate case in point: Chris Sandow .. short, lightweight (but has a potbelly), and absolutely terrible.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Im not so against templeman playing FG because of his size. Barba was no giant, and Patten was pretty lanky. I think the main problem with Templeman will be he cant tackle yet. None of the holden cup team can tackle. They need time in NSW Cup which has FG players in it, to learn defence. Many juniors have great attack and speed, but very few can tackle to save themselves. Look at Barba the first year or so in FG. They took him straight from juniors to FG. He had attack but was a massive liability in defence.

Id like to see Patrick go through the grades and not skip any. He needs to learn his lessons. Des might blood him though if we have some bad injury luck or to rest players in easier matches. He should play most of his footy in NSW Cup though in 2014 imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Im not so against templeman playing FG because of his size. Barba was no giant, and Patten was pretty lanky. I think the main problem with Templeman will be he cant tackle yet. None of the holden cup team can tackle. They need time in NSW Cup which has FG players in it, to learn defence. Many juniors have great attack and speed, but very few can tackle to save themselves. Look at Barba the first year or so in FG. They took him straight from juniors to FG. He had attack but was a massive liability in defence.

Id like to see Patrick go through the grades and not skip any. He needs to learn his lessons. Des might blood him though if we have some bad injury luck or to rest players in easier matches. He should play most of his footy in NSW Cup though in 2014 imo.
Although I agree 100% with you unfortunately these days the young blokes aren't prepared to wait and pay their dues. Normally you say tough shite but as we are starting to see, if they think they are bigger than the team they take 200k and run off to another club that's desperate for an early chance. I'm not hinting at all that Templeman is like this but the risk for a club is doing all the work then losing our next generation player 1 or 2 season before we would have given there shot. I don't know if its a great example but I was waiting for Sezer to come through but he got away. I know there was some negative things hinted about him but he's got talent.

Pa-28

Bring back the BIFF!!!
Reaction score
Having watched Barba and Templeman come through 20's it's like comparing chalk and cheese. Templeman has a long way to go before he is a first grade fullback.

Status
Not open for further replies.