Who should be in the 13 RFM or Martin?

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No it's quite a far fetched idea. Elliot can play lock because he's not fixed to the middle of the field but no way in hell is he a prop. He gets dominated in hitups and tackles. Look at his average metres ffs, even when his form was "good" he was averaging stuff all metres, instead it was other aspects that he contributed to

If we put him in prop look forward to no field position
Not saying i disagree with you but havent we been in this situation, i.e. no field position, for years with tolman playing prop. Lol

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Not saying i disagree with you but havent we been in this situation, i.e. no field position, for years with tolman playing prop. Lol
Do a search on the forum for tolman threads and I guarantee theres at least 2 or 3 posts from me in each thread bagging out tolman

However this season I'll give him credit he's been good for us.

In any case elliot is less effective than what tolman is

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do a search on the forum for tolman threads and I guarantee theres at least 2 or 3 posts from me in each thread bagging out tolman

However this season I'll give him credit he's been good for us.

In any case elliot is less effective than what tolman is
they are both effective players IMO. Both get through a mountain of work.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I would put Martin on the bench and play a more aggressive back rower in the run on side. Holland can kick very well.

Jeez we ain’t making the top 4 with holland in our starting side

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Until we find a good centre it looks like hes there.
Holland played well this year apart from about 2 games. I can handle Holland but the other centre needs to be a gun centre at least to balance it out a bit

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeez we ain’t making the top 4 with holland in our starting side
He's better than you think. Great in attack. Defence needs work. Gets caught out of position because he's not an experienced centre. He was a fullback and halfback as a Jnr and coming through the grades. A bit more video and longevity in his combination with Smith and their flank will be ok. I am confident there will be plenty of improvement from this season.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Holland played well this year apart from about 2 games. I can handle Holland but the other centre needs to be a gun centre at least to balance it out a bit
I think more discussion time should be given to CHN playing centre. He is a good runner of the ball with some pace, he has good defence, and
the other centre options arnt real flash.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He's better than you think. Great in attack. Defence needs work. Gets caught out of position because he's not an experienced centre. He was a fullback and halfback as a Jnr and coming through the grades. A bit more video and longevity in his combination with Smith and their flank will be ok. I am confident there will be plenty of improvement from this season.

I’m happy for players to go back to reserve grade and Improve on there weaknesses BUT first grade is not the place to do that

Roosters won a Comp with players ready for representative honours not a training squad.

I’m also okay with holland being a depth player but please find another centre

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think more discussion time should be given to CHN playing centre. He is a good runner of the ball with some pace, he has good defence, and
the other centre options arnt real flash.
My thoughts exactly, just hope Pay gives him a go at centre, I'd bet my house he would make a better centre than anything else we've got, we have plenty backrowers anyway.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Martins goal kicking ability places him higher in the list in my opinion..

If not for his goal kicking he would be at the bottom of the list for me and a fringe first grader..

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No it's quite a far fetched idea. Elliot can play lock because he's not fixed to the middle of the field but no way in hell is he a prop. He gets dominated in hitups and tackles. Look at his average metres ffs, even when his form was "good" he was averaging stuff all metres, instead it was other aspects that he contributed to

If we put him in prop look forward to no field position
And I guess you are saying Tolman is so dominating.?...?

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its obviously Pay and the rest of the coaching staff dont rate Martin that highy. Hence why he played in the nsw cup finals while r.smith and lewis didnt even though they were eligible to play.

Rfm and chn are both signed to longer-term deals then martin for a reason. Its because they will be our edge backrowers for the next 6-7 years hopefully. And both will play 80 mins each week. Theres no room for martin unfortunately. He will only be a back up for these two. Jackson will play lock.

Both chn and rfm both are bigger stronger then martin. They both have great footwork at the line. Both are very hard to handle while also breaking alot more tackles then martin. There latrell movement in def is also far superior. How there is even a debate about who our egde forwards will be is beyond me. The only thing martin has on these two is goal kicking. Someone else in the team will have to goal kick.
Goal kicking is pretty a pretty major part of the game you saw the results when Moombye was our kicker.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really? What games are you watching?

Elliot races up to put on a hit. More often than not he misses but when he connects yes he does stop the opposition in their tracks but as I said more often than not the opposition step him.

In normal play tackles, the oppo forwards make plenty of post contact metres with Elliot hanging on.

He's just not suitable for prop in any degree
Put him in at hooker, better than what we got now

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly, all this debate shows just how strong the pack will be next season. There will be some unlucky boys having to play ISP. Pretty exciting.

However, the backs are a very different story in my opinion. We will really struggle for points again, in my opinion. Just hope Foran and Lewis can fire as a combination.
They will, but centres one wing and fb are a real problem slower than a nudist climbing a barbed wire fence

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly, just hope Pay gives him a go at centre, I'd bet my house he would make a better centre than anything else we've got, we have plenty backrowers anyway.
Agree

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Martins goal kicking ability places him higher in the list in my opinion..

If not for his goal kicking he would be at the bottom of the list for me and a fringe first grader..
Not often we get to see a forward that can score 3 tries in a game like he did vs raiders.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What about Chris Smith at centre? How does he move? Only seen a little bit of him, but he has pace in a straight line, just haven’t seen enough of how his overall movement. He would be smaller than CHN wouldn’t he?

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not often we get to see a forward that can score 3 tries in a game like he did vs raiders.
One game doesn't make a player..

Also from memory, he only really earned one of those tries.. the other 2 were opportunistic.

Malla

Reaction score
One game doesn't make a player..

Also from memory, he only really earned one of those tries.. the other 2 were opportunistic.
And? Probably 80% of tries scored are opportunistic. It's about having the ability to put yourself in the right position to get the opportunity to score and clearly Martin knows how to do that.

Martin needs to be in the starting team and play max minutes, the bloke's kicking is already probably the best in the comp, it's so important for us particularly given we have been going the last few years before this season with Mbye who is probably the worst kicker the league has ever seen.

At the start of the season we lost about 6 games from memory by less than 6 points - I guarantee if Martin was there we probably win 3 or 4 of them.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
And? Probably 80% of tries scored are opportunistic. It's about having the ability to put yourself in the right position to get the opportunity to score and clearly Martin knows how to do that.

Martin needs to be in the starting team and play max minutes, the bloke's kicking is already probably the best in the comp, it's so important for us particularly given we have been going the last few years before this season with Mbye who is probably the worst kicker the league has ever seen.

At the start of the season we lost about 6 games from memory by less than 6 points - I guarantee if Martin was there we probably win 3 or 4 of them.
if you read my early post I did say his goal kicking puts him higher up the list ..

But purely on Backrower ability I don't think he is as good as others at our club..

and there is a difference in a player sticking to their position and being Johnny on the spot, and a player like lamb that put himself in those positions time after time and had amazing positional play.. like I said one game doesn't make an NRL career.

I like Martin and he a descent NRL player .. But Jacko, RFM, CHN and Elliott are better quality backrowers then Martin.. But fortunately for Martin he is an outstanding goal kicker, which increases his value considerably ..