Who should be in the 13 RFM or Martin?

Malla

Reaction score
if you read my early post I did say his goal kicking puts him higher up the list ..

But purely on Backrower ability I don't think he is as good as others at our club..

and there is a difference in a player sticking to their position and being Johnny on the spot, and a player like lamb that put himself in those positions time after time and had amazing positional play.. like I said one game doesn't make an NRL career.

I like Martin and he a descent NRL player .. But Jacko, RFM, CHN and Elliott are better quality backrowers then Martin.. But fortunately for Martin he is an outstanding goal kicker, which increases his value considerably ..
Sorry I did not see your earlier post. I do agree with you that his ability as a backrower is probably lower on the list than others - hence why it's probably taken him this long to crack first grade. In saying that, he isn't bad at all, he is probably closer to an average backrower, But his ability to kick will mean that he needs to be starting. The competition is extremely close these days - he could be the differentiating factor in winning a premiership.

And as for positional play, if it was easy scoring a hat trick it would be done more often. The bloke just has a nack of popping up in the right place at the right time, you need those guys in your team.

Reactions: GDR

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Not often we get to see a forward that can score 3 tries in a game like he did vs raiders.
He must watch Baa's old tapes and is nearly always following the ball.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
if you read my early post I did say his goal kicking puts him higher up the list ..

But purely on Backrower ability I don't think he is as good as others at our club..

and there is a difference in a player sticking to their position and being Johnny on the spot, and a player like lamb that put himself in those positions time after time and had amazing positional play.. like I said one game doesn't make an NRL career.

I like Martin and he a descent NRL player .. But Jacko, RFM, CHN and Elliott are better quality backrowers then Martin.. But fortunately for Martin he is an outstanding goal kicker, which increases his value considerably ..
Martin (at least on par with Elliott in the 2ndrower stakes surely) and its still to be determined whether below CHN and RFM on 2019 form...we'll see then....and as you say with added value from extra 2 points on the scoreboard. Amongst first 5 picked for me.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Martin (at least on par with Elliott in the 2ndrower stakes surely) and its still to be determined whether below CHN and RFM on 2019 form...we'll see then....and as you say with added value from extra 2 points on the scoreboard. Amongst first 5 picked for me.
Yes on par with Elliott, but Elliott has age on his side and seems to be starting to develop.. on his kicking ability alone, I think Martin needs at least to be in the 17 if not, the starting side... we did carry Halligan for so many years and he wasn't the greatest winger in the world..

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont think theres much btwn martin, rfm and chn as edge forward. They all have their positives. Btwn them + jackson we should have the 2nd row positions sorted.
Anyway, the topic i guess is about who should play lock. I dont know but i hope not someone small cos we already have tolman in the middle.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If we dont buy an established centre, Kerrod Holland will be in the run on side. He is an established kicker.
Martin is not an aggressive forward and needs to start on the bench. It would be better to start with one of the tacklers like RFM or Sue.
Bring Martin on after 20 odd minutes.