• Burns

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • Kiraz and bring Skeleton in on the wing

Votes: 42 39.6%

• Total voters

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's sackcloth and ashes time because we lost a trial game in our first real hit-out against a top four team that has been together for a year. We were actually on top until we lost Kikau.

We also had to contend with one of the worst and most one sided refereeing performances I can remember. Instead of simply copping it on the chin, we should be making a formal complaint to the NRL, with video footage to support our complaint.
Don't mention facts mate. No one likes facts on here.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Arazern

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I don’t see a Crita being much better he sucked in the trial at full back for penny’s we are in trouble spine still needs a good adjustment. I’d say maybe 1 out of 4, 2 if Burton pulls his finger out. Mediocre and not having a go needs to be weeded out.

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I thought he looked good in the all stars game with just a couple of errors but went bad in the sharks game. I reckon he will get a few weeks to start

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
exactly and kennedy was on the angle and also not carrying the ball.
It was a great desperation tackle by Kennedy, but, if Averillo didn't ground the ball (I don't think he did), it should have been a goal line drop-out, or held up in goal and Jake to play the ball at the ten metre line. Instead it was a tap from the twenty and a seven tackle set, which finished with a Cronulla try. To add insult to injury, the try scorer was offside.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It was a great desperation tackle by Kennedy, but, if Averillo didn't ground the ball (I don't think he did), it should have been a goal line drop-out, or held up in goal and Jake to play the ball at the ten metre line. Instead it was a tap from the twenty and a seven tackle set, which finished with a Cronulla try. To add insult to injury, the try scorer was offside.
Looked off side in front of Moylan. Went early. If it was us. Ruled no try by ref and bunker confirming offside. We can't take a trick with stuff that happens with refs and bounce of the ball.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No if you watch it again Kennedy has a head start on Averillo he had no where to go but straight.
It was just a really good tackle by Kennedy.View attachment 65496
It doesn't prove that Averilo is slow. Their trajectories were different. We've seen many times in league were the cover player (sometimes a forward taking a breather at the back) only has to meet the run away player at a certain point in the route that the ball carrier is traveling. If they were running Parallel, Averillo would've got to the try line first.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don’t see a Crita being much better he sucked in the trial at full back for penny’s we are in trouble spine still needs a good adjustment. I’d say maybe 1 out of 4, 2 if Burton pulls his finger out. Mediocre and not having a go needs to be weeded out.
Critta is a centre, a good one at that, but ffs, massive risk to shell out Spine money for an untested player (its typical Bulldogs - surprised Gould went down this path)

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It doesn't prove that Averilo is slow. Their trajectories were different. We've seen many times in league were the cover player (sometimes a forward taking a breather at the back) only has to meet the run away player at a certain point in the route that the ball carrier is traveling. If they were running Parallel, Averillo would've got to the try line first.
Mate im on the Averillo hasnt lost his speed side! :tearsofjoy:

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Averillo looks like Billy Slater compared to Perham I’m afraid.
He went well last year before he got Covid.

Then Burns or Kiraz.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
A good example of the Flanagan problem was the bad pass from Mahoney on the Sharks line late in 2nd half.
Mahoney passed in front of Waddell without realising he was standing still next to Flanagan. Brown had made a decoy run.
Flanagan and Waddell were less than 2 metres apart.
Waddell let the ball bounce in front of him & Flanagan picked it up on the bounce. Ran around in a circle.
It was a complete mess which made Mahoney look bad.
FMD, your are really stretching here, how the fark does Flanagan positioning himself 2 metres form Waddell make Mahoney pass the ball at Waddell's feet? It was shit pass and Mahoney knew it, the expression on his face after he threw it gave it away.

Flanagan did not take control of Waddell or Brown. This was not a one-off situation in yesterday's game. Just waving your hand around in the direction of the outside backs is not organising.
Brown was the dummy half when he was on, he is the one in control from the play the ball. All 1/2's point out to the players where they should be, can't talk to them, standard practise due to crowd noise and the opposition can hear you.

A proper 7 takes control of each and every play. Which also means organising 2, 3 or 4 plays ahead.
The reason the whole structure collapsed just 2 trial games into the season is because the current 7 cannot organise the side.
Bullshit, for a start the 5/8 and 1/2 in most teams on most plays are on opposite sides of the field. So it is ultimately the dummy half with his vision that determines the next play with his decision on who to pass it to. Plus the first pass of the ruck is not always the 1/2 or the 5/8. The reality is that less than half of the on field play by play decisions are the responsibility of the 1/2.

Players like Waddell think they can come on and lift the side with a big hit up or tackle. It's what Tolman used to do. It looks desperate and spreads like a virus to all the other players. It's more than Flanagan is terrible at just about every aspect of half back play. The real problem is there is an on-field leadership vacuum and he makes it worse.
Mahony and Burton are the Captains and as 5/8 and dummy half they take far more responsibility than Flanagan.

If Flanagan can't take control and if Rajab or BBO or Oloapu are not ready, then we might as well go for the next best thing to handle pressure, which is to confuse the opposition. That means Captain Chaos Reynolds.
Always a possibility, he is the most experienced player in the squad.

Always a Bulldog

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Someone who can perform the main function of a fullback. Catch a bomb on a regular basis. A fullback who can’t do this is useless as it puts a team under defensive pressure in their own red zone, which inevitably leads to repeat sets and tries.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back to fullback, I’m very concerned with Perham. He was a fifth string winger at the Eels six months ago. Now he’s the starting first grade fullback for The Bulldogs?
Was trash in All stars and trial.
Doesn’t look good, hope I’m wrong.

Last edited: