Who is our number 1 for next year? (Now for 2024)

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should’ve retained Nick Meaney so we wouldn’t have this issue.
I have to disagree there.

Again, another who looks like a star at Storm now, but he was a member of the team that gave us the spoon so he had no impact on helping us. Just not brilliant enough when we needed guys to stand up. Decent player, but not spine worthy at full strength.

Seems like a nice kid though, I do wish him well. He appears to be at the right club for him now. Doesn’t have to be a gun there, just fit in and do a job.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Jac is not fit enough at the moment, or carrying an injury and also not fit enough at the moment
I thought he was not quite 100% earlier in the season, but, when he scored the long range try last week against St George, he was moving like a gazelle and he left the chasing defenders for dead.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Bellamy never played JAC at full back for two reasons, neither of which apply to us.

1. From the day JAC made his debut, Bellamy has had absolute top drawer fullbacks available to him. First there was Slater, then Munster had the job when Slater was injured, then Papenhuissen.
2. They were getting excellent value out of JAC on the wing because his Storm teammates were able to keep him well supplied with quality ball. He is great when he handles the ball for us but he doesn't get to do it often enough. He would see more of the ball at full back.

BTW - Creedence is an outstanding prospect but I don't want to see him stuffed up by being pushed too hard too soon.
Lol no, he just didn't have the required skillset and Bellamy didn't see any value in investing time into it, he didn't even cover at fullback when there were injuries midgame. The star fullbacks weren't always there and we're developed time and time again and JAC was never one of these players. You're also leaving out players like Hughes who had played something like 3 games in 3 years before moving to the Storm and Drinkwater who moved from the halves and was ahead of Paps before going down injured.

JAC has obviously just never showed enough and moving him to fullback is exactly the type of move you see from desperate clubs that overpay wingers. Leave Jake there for about 6 weeks and if he doesn't show enough to be worth investing a preseason into then give Toia the final month.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I find it funny when some people prefer Toia to JAC. The two are poles apart at this stage.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Lol no, he just didn't have the required skillset and Bellamy didn't see any value in investing time into it, he didn't even cover at fullback when there were injuries midgame. The star fullbacks weren't always there and we're developed time and time again and JAC was never one of these players. You're also leaving out players like Hughes who had played something like 3 games in 3 years before moving to the Storm and Drinkwater who moved from the halves and was ahead of Paps before going down injured.

JAC has obviously just never showed enough and moving him to fullback is exactly the type of move you see from desperate clubs that overpay wingers. Leave Jake there for about 6 weeks and if he doesn't show enough to be worth investing a preseason into then give Toia the final month.
Let me see if I have got this right. There were numerous occasions at the Storm when he wasn't given a go at full back, and, when he wasn't being given a go, he didn't do anything to indicate he would be any good if he was given a go. Got it.

Big Vibe

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Again, another who looks like a star at Storm now, but he was a member of the team that gave us the spoon so he had no impact on helping us. Just not brilliant enough when we needed guys to stand up. Decent player, but not spine worthy at full strength.

Seems like a nice kid though, I do wish him well. He appears to be at the right club for him now. Doesn’t have to be a gun there, just fit in and do a job.
Respectfully disagree.

Chasing brilliance in all positions of the spine is not feasible and is never gonna happen. Meaney is a very solid first grader and is more than good enough quality to be retained. Let’s not pretend that bringing at Dufty at his expense was not a monumental error of judgment.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Respectfully disagree.

Chasing brilliance in all positions of the spine is not feasible and is never gonna happen. Meaney is a very solid first grader and is more than good enough quality to be retained. Let’s not pretend that bringing at Dufty at his expense was not a monumental error of judgment.
Meaney was offered more than what Melbourne offered, he made his choice.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Leave Jake at fullback for now and see how he copes with consistency.
Moving JAC there from wing would deny our only points we have off the kicking of Burton. They're developing a good combo. We don't have the speed in our other wing options to execute those plays.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's a good player, especially on wing, but we need better, much better. We need someone who can be a long term marquee for us.
It will depend on what’s available. Latrell would be ideal by you won’t get him cheap as for others, hard to get anyone at the moment - available. Garrick shines when turbo is not playing at fullback and when he is back, he goes back to wing. Might get him cheaper than some of the other Fullbacks. For all the critics on this threads, look at how many tries he’s scored this year.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Leave Jake at fullback for now and see how he copes with consistency.
Moving JAC there from wing would deny our only points we have off the kicking of Burton. They're developing a good combo. We don't have the speed in our other wing options to execute those plays.
Yep agreed. He went ok last week and has the skill set to be a really good fullback.

People saying Drinkwater are clueless. Why would the cowboys let him go ffs ???? They are in the top 4 and he is playing great

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Respectfully disagree.

i see your point, but I must let you know, I was one of the few on here crying when we were linked to Dufty and said all along it was a mistake. I remember watching him a few times with Saints mates when he played for them and they (and me) all agreed he was way overrated. Dogged 1 on 1 tackles. Dropped bombs and especially under pressure, went missing against quality opposition and looked like Churchill against minnows. I never wanted him near our club and when he started ok I still knew what he had in him….

re Meaney, I do see your point re we can’t have 4 superstars in the spine (although Panthers and Storm have quality) , but I just think he was very … average the last few years when we really needed some guys to stand up and lead us out of the rubbish. No one did - and that included Meaney. I personally am happy he’s not here anymore.

respect your view though mate, and based on how he is going now, you do have a good point.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
i see your point, but I must let you know, I was one of the few on here crying when we were linked to Dufty and said all along it was a mistake. I remember watching him a few times with Saints mates when he played for them and they (and me) all agreed he was way overrated. Dogged 1 on 1 tackles. Dropped bombs and especially under pressure, went missing against quality opposition and looked like Churchill against minnows. I never wanted him near our club and when he started ok I still knew what he had in him….
Dufty potentially offered us something in attack but his goal line defense is so bad we should never have played him at full back. If the other members of the back line are solid defenders, you might be able to hide him on a wing when you are defending and rotate him into full back when you are attacking, but our other backs are far from solid. In fact, early in the season we were already trying to hide Okunbur, and two defensive liabilities is at least one too many.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score

He doesn’t even look like a star at storm. Looks competent, but so did brenko lee. Reimis smith the same. Put them in our team = vomit.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
......He doesn’t even look like a star at storm. Looks competent.......
We used to dream of having players in the team who looked competent, they would have been superstars to us (apologies to the Four Yorkshiremen).

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once again the question is again - who will be our number 1 in 2024. Surely it will be Crichton. Perham has tried hard but he isn’t a risk taker and very effective in attack. What do you guys think, should we stick with Perham or go for it and give Crichton what he wants. I would choose Crichton, don’t where Perham would slot into team for next year though.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Once again the question is again - who will be our number 1 in 2024. Surely it will be Crichton. Perham has tried hard but he isn’t a risk taker and very effective in attack. What do you guys think, should we stick with Perham or go for it and give Crichton what he wants. I would choose Crichton, don’t where Perham would slot into team for next year though.
Drop Perham and put Crichton in.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Crichton has been signed on fullback money. He’ll play fullback.

Hayze has been ok, still learning the position and has no experience. May make a good utility in a few years.