Opinion Who do you think we'll chase / sign this November for 2023 (if anybody) ?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Off contract after 2022: John Asiata, Matt Doorey, Matthew Dufty, Raymond Faitala-Mariner, Tui Katoa, Max King, Joe Stimson, Jackson Topine, Paul Vaughan, Brandon Wakeham

All NRL players off contract after 2022

Are we still interested in Cheese or Pearce I wonder. The thing is we need to decide and chase now before a ball has even been kicked off for 2022.

Doesn't seem like we would have a lot of money to spend either unless we shed or medically retire RFM.

DWZ's last 400K will end in 2022 so will be off our books for 2023.

We also need to potentially upgrade Burton, and Dufty and Vaughan if we want to keep them after next year. We could free up a little if Stimson moves on but Asiata, Doorey, Katoa, King, Topine and Wakeham are close to minimum so they wouldn't free up much if we shed them.

Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if we don't sign anyone new for 2023 come this November. Thompson and Cotric are staying according to Gould / management. Do we make a call on moving on Flanagan now ? Do we move on Allan ? (we're short on fullback cover)

If we sign someone like Cheese without having to move on Cotric, Thompson, Dufty or Vaughan it will be a bonus and well managed by our management

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I think that's it.

Malla

Reaction score
The only roster movement I see is moving on Cotric and Flanno early. Other then that, I don't think we do much else other then letting the current group gel together over the course of the year.

Also think more focus on juniors and players coming through.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Pearce is done, he will be 34 in 2023.

We've got players on one year deals we might need to keep/upgrade.

There's not that much off contract who are decent + very likely another team coming into the comp who will be cashed up/might get some type of cap advantage - who knows with V'landys.

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think we have really good halves at the club although some would disagree. Personally I’d go BBO 7 and Burton 6 next year but an option for 2023 is Rajab at 6 and Burton 7. He can be like our Luai on the right side and Burton can play a roaming role like Cleary in 2023. Burton is so versatile we could do that.

Avo our 14 next year but no reason why he couldn’t play fullback in 2023 if Dufty doesn’t perform. Josh Cook at 9 going forward.

May pick up a bigger name forward but there isn’t too much available in terms of young up and coming 7 and 9s so may as well develop in house.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
The only roster movement I see is moving on Cotric and Flanno early. Other then that, I don't think we do much else other then letting the current group gel together over the course of the year.

Didn’t we sign Allan on a good wage? I reckon he is an option to offload.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A big intimidating front rower is essential. We have enough backs ATM.
I believe BBO is likely to be the half and Cook will be the hooker.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A big intimidating front rower is essential. We have enough backs ATM.
I believe BBO is likely to be the half and Cook will be the hooker.
BBO of the bench for next year then our 7 for 2023 has a good kicking game and will only get better. Hope cook gets a run but Barret will persist will JMK unless his injured.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm sure Flanagan and Allan will be moved on at some stage. RFM is unlikely to be re-signed. Whether Vaughan or Dufty are re-signed depends on how they go next season. A few of our juniors will be ready for FG by then also.

A lot can change between now and then in terms of player movement at other clubs so it's too early to discuss who to sign..

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Cheese and Grant. The one that isn't promised a starting 9 position will go imo (assuming the $ is right). Manu at fullback would be fun too.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
There's not that much off contract who are decent + very likely another team coming into the comp who will be cashed up/might get some type of cap advantage - who knows with V'landys.
New teams have a big Cap advantage, just by being new they have no carry over crap, no baggage to dispose of from previous bad decisions.

Always a Bulldog

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sounds right, and there’s close to $1m.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just relax we have been looking a year ahead for the last 4 seasons!

We have made enough purchases for next season that should see a big improvement just enjoy it instead of freaking out about 2023 signings already......

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Just relax we have been looking a year ahead for that last 4 seasons!

We have made enough purchases for next season that should see a big improvement just enjoy it instead of freaking out about 2023 signings already......
It does my head in.. I don't know why people can't just look forward to next season and see how things unfold instead of trying to plan for the next two seasons. So much can change between now and then.. We need to see how next year's team performs first. We've made over a dozen signings for next year and people still want more signings.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It does my head in.. I don't know why people can't just look forward to next season and see how things unfold instead of trying to plan for the next two seasons. So much can change between now and then.. We need to see how next year's team performs first. We've made over a dozen signings for next year and people still want more signings.
I understand what you mean but if we want to buy ANY prominent player for 2023 we need to act this November or we would likely miss out. How many years have we been crying out for a decent hooker ? Most of the decent hookers are finally available this November for 2023. If Cook doesn't work out we could miss a rare big opportunity to finally nail down that position. I hope we have the cap to chase Cheese, Mahoney or a Brailey.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I understand what you mean but if we want to buy ANY prominent player for 2023 we need to act this November or we would likely miss out. How many years have we been crying out for a decent hooker ? Most of the decent hookers are finally available this November for 2023. If Cook doesn't work out we could miss a rare big opportunity to finally nail down that position. I hope we have the cap to chase Cheese, Mahoney or a Brailey.
I'm sure Gus is already planning ahead but there's no point speculating on who to target when we don't even know who will be available or who will re-sign.

A lot of players won't sign a new deal til halfway through next season. Other rep players will break their contracts early. So it doesn't all hinge on November 1. We know clubs don't follow those rules anyway.

MitchNewton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we have really good halves at the club although some would disagree. Personally I’d go BBO 7 and Burton 6 next year but an option for 2023 is Rajab at 6 and Burton 7. He can be like our Luai on the right side and Burton can play a roaming role like Cleary in 2023. Burton is so versatile we could do that.

Avo our 14 next year but no reason why he couldn’t play fullback in 2023 if Dufty doesn’t perform. Josh Cook at 9 going forward.

May pick up a bigger name forward but there isn’t too much available in terms of young up and coming 7 and 9s so may as well develop in house.
BBO is less ready than Averillo to play half. He needs time in reserves to develop his game. Rajab is at least 3 years away from first grade if he makes it at all. Averillo will be better next having a season under his belt and having a strong half.

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I feel like when the time comes, with a full season of NSW Cup, you'll find a lot of our own internal pathways will be due for an upgrade. SG Ball/ HM/ Mounties players will be pushing for a top 30 spot, and will actually be worth giving a top 30/ minimum deal to. This is the number 1 thing we have been lacking since the Des era - not working with enough local juniors or poaching young guns and developing them within our system. I'm looking forward to keeping an eye on our lower grades/ Youth teams now comps will restart that Vax rates are 80%+ for 2022.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Just relax we have been looking a year ahead for the last 4 seasons!

Absolutely. Couldn’t of said it better myself .!!!