WHO CONTROLS CORRUPT REFS ?

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
My god. Sebastion Kris knocks the ball back, ref says it went back and motions with his hands, within a second calls knock on. What a fucking disgrace.

Last edited:

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The betting agencies . . .Hence the fact we get regularly fisted. Anyone watching the Faders broncos game ? Reynolds gets a shoulder to the head, no penalty, in the next set Faders have the ball, shoulder to the head . . .thats a penalty now

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
The betting agencies . . .Hence the fact we get regularly fisted. Anyone watching the Faders broncos game ? Reynolds gets a shoulder to the head, no penalty, in the next set Faders have the ball, shoulder to the head . . .thats a penalty now
Josh Papalii has to leave the field for 15 minutes for a HIA but the bloke whose shoulder hit him directly to the face stays on? Normally that's a sin bin. Wasn't even a penalty given for it for some reason. Raiders won despite the ref, not because of him, there was some dodgy decisions out there going the Broncos way. Huge deal made by Ginnane over the Taupau penalty, but the fact that Capewell was offside on that kick got completely glossed over. It should've been a penalty to Canberra regardless.
Great win by the Raiders, magnificent defensive effort.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Josh Papalii has to leave the field for 15 minutes for a HIA but the bloke whose shoulder hit him directly to the face stays on? Normally that's a sin bin. Wasn't even a penalty given for it for some reason. Raiders won despite the ref, not because of him, there was some dodgy decisions out there going the Broncos way. Huge deal made by Ginnane over the Taupau penalty, but the fact that Capewell was offside on that kick got completely glossed over. It should've been a penalty to Canberra regardless.
The raiders were massive underdogs, free interchange

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
The raiders were massive underdogs, free interchange
Huh?
Free interchange yes, but it should've been free interchange and Broncos playing with 12 for 10 minutes.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Well that broncos raiders game only confirms my thoughts on why I dont think there is corruption with officiating.
There were so many garbage calls last night against both teams, I dont see how the NRL is smart enough to swing a game.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’m not sure about any of that, but I do appreciate the debate / conversation.

One question though: of all the sport you watch, how many are as fast as the NRL has become?
The speeding up of the game was and still is done to suit the TV industries Murdoch's News Corp ( Foxtel ) & Packer's PBL ( Nine Networks ) , controlling the game after the supper league war by employing their puppets in control of both leagues ultimately controlling the newly formed NRL.
Speed kills, in the Rugby League case is speeding up the game killing it ?
Are the horrendous injuries caused by speeding the game despite the players are much fitter/stronger now ?
Most importantly the game has become one dimensional as coaches and big fast players take advantage of the rules changes while the smart creative players slowly continue to vanish, Lack of quality and creative halfbacks is a clear indication.
There are better solutions sadly the National Rorts League has it's own :rage:

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Capewell being offside - went back and had a look and it was very close and marginal at best (actually think he was on with both feet behind Reynolds). And I thought overall, the Bronks copped the rough end of the reffing dick more than Raiders. But otherwise agree with you bro.

But probably goes to show that the rules aren't clear or are not enforced consistently for the average Joe to work out what the fck is going on.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
The speeding up of the game was and still is done to suit the TV industries Murdoch's News Corp ( Foxtel ) & Packer's PBL ( Nine Networks ) , controlling the game after the supper league war by employing their puppets in control of both leagues ultimately controlling the newly formed NRL.
Speed kills, in the Rugby League case is speeding up the game killing it ?
Are the horrendous injuries caused by speeding the game despite the players are much fitter/stronger now ?
Most importantly the game has become one dimensional as coaches and big fast players take advantage of the rules changes while the smart creative players slowly continue to vanish, Lack of quality and creative halfbacks is a clear indication.
There are better solutions sadly the National Rorts League has it's own :rage:
I think you need to let go of the obsession with Uncle Rupert as does the retiree in the recliner - ad nauseam.

News have not had an ownership stake in the game or a club for ~10 years. And of COURSE the ARL commission strongly consider what the broadcasters want - they fund the game! With no broadcast deal there’s no club grants, no player payments and, well, you can join the dots. Why would you bite the hand that feeds you outside the naming rights sponsor?

That all said, I agree the set restart rule should be revised. Sometimes it’s hard to even see why it was applied and it is having other negative effects on injury etc. I don’t necessarily want to go back to ruck infringement penalties and shots at goal only, there’s got to be something in between.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
News have not had an ownership stake in the game or a club for ~10 years.
News own 68.87% of Brisbane Broncos.

They recently got rid of their 100% stake in the Melbourne Storm. You might wonder why they got rid of one and not the other? It was seen as bad for business for a media company to own an NRL club in an AFL city. Not a problem in Brisbane. Their ownership of the Broncos goes a long way to explain the royal treatment the club gets from referees, judiciary, magic round, etc.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

They recently got rid of their 100% stake in the Melbourne Storm. You might wonder why they got rid of one and not the other? It was seen as bad for business for a media company to own an NRL club in an AFL city. Not a problem in Brisbane. Their ownership of the Broncos goes a long way to explain the royal treatment the club gets from referees, judiciary, magic round, etc.
I stand corrected. I didn’t realise they still had a stake in the Ponies. If the Dolphins become consistently competitive any perceived ‘advantage’ might start to evaporate. They sold the Storm in 2013, so not that ‘recent’ and their stake in running the game stopped in 2012 when the ARL Commission was formed - but that came out of the Super League peace accord when News got a 15 year interest in the NRL. Whether anyone likes it or not, they are a powerful entity who fund a good chunk of the game. It’s either media companies or betting agencies with the money yet this still upsets people. How likely is the Bunnings NRL or Avis NRL? We know the answer…

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
As others have said, there's a big difference between corruption and negligence and being incompetent.

I do think refs favour certain teams though, but don't think corruption or betting are issues. Just favouritism and most refs in most sports unfortunately favour the stronger teams and big name players etc..

All of that being said, the NRL have fucked up massively since V'landys took over with haphazard, last minute mid season crackdowns and rule changes that have completely changed the sport. The overuse of the sin bin is absurd. I blame the people in charge for telling the refs and bunker to go looking for things to bin people for that aren't issues at all.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'm not a big gambler but it would seem to me that moving the result away from what the bookmakers have taken the most bets on would be the most favoured outcome for them. For example, the Rabbits were the overwhelming favourites at a large margin with the majority of money on them, hence us winning would be the most favourable result for the bookmakers. Of course a rogue wager of huge value could change that but the NSW Liquor & Gaming Authority would be all over that.

Maybe someone with more gambling experience can explain how Souths winning by the expected margin would benefit the bookmakers enough to bother influencing the result?

Always a Bulldog
You are correct, as indicated by the odds, worst result was souths 13 plus plus Mitchell scoring.
Best result was a dogs win

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
No one, Gerad is the NRL and reasonably senior and if he don't like you, you are fucked.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Stands to reason a media organisation who has a financial interest in both the ownership of the NRL, and the Broncos , is going to heavily influence the outcomes for their team via refs and NRL HQ.

Dolphins tied up with Kayo (stadium) so they get a dream run with positive publicity as well.