1. Be cool and Register to set your username and display picture get the full features of the site. Talk Bulldogs NRL News, match reviews, live score, ladder, injuries, player signings and team performance.

Official Who are our brightest prospects and why?

Discussion in 'Junior Bulldogs Discussion' started by habs, Apr 30, 2019.

1. btrainben

btrainben Kennel Immortal

Shane or Ben? I've spent time with both and they're great guys despite what people may think.

With how well the Walkers have done as coaches and the style they play, I'd like to see them get a shot. Or Holbrook. We need a breath of fresh air and a coach who can relate to and get the best out of the new generation.

2. The Dominator

The Dominator Kennel Regular

Check out the highlights of 15 year old Paul Alamoti on the official site. Very impressive.

3. brucey

brucey Kennel Participant

Okunbor and Lewis

4. btrainben

He looks very good. He seems like a bigger half and has a bit of Cherry-Evans about him.

5. dekepefc

dekepefc Kennel Regular

Given he is 15 and is a half he only has what ... 10 more years before he starts to play his best footy.. that's a long time away, club cant just rely on developing youngsters..

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. jasonsmith11

jasonsmith11 Kennel Regular

zion williamson

• Like Like x 1
  7. Straight18

Straight18 Kennel Enthusiast

He has very good vision that kid. More than just about anyone at our club.

8. dogwhisperer

dogwhisperer Kennel Enthusiast

Melbourne is protected IMO. I'm sure they get the best pick of lower grade talent in their feeder clubs directing them towards Melbourne.

NRL needs Melbourne to remain strong, imagine Melbourne become a mid table team or laguish down the ladder, Rugby League would die in Melbourne.., and thats not good for the NRL's aim to be a true National competition.

This is just my opinion

9. dogwhisperer

dogwhisperer Kennel Enthusiast

Does this kid play for Ipswitch?

I was told about 1 month ago that Mark Hughes(Bulldogs head of recruitment) was up in queensland watching this gun from Ipswitch.

It must be this Sam Walker kid. I wasn't given any names. Must be this kid.

10. speedy2460

speedy2460 Kennel Enthusiast

Young guy Turoa Williams. Son of Jason Williams former good Bulldogs winger.
    Good reports about him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. finchie

finchie Kennel Immortal

I’m involved with the junior league and junior bulldogs;
    Ones to look out for incl;
    Danny ghantos: 16 year old hooker playing in the under 18s
    Khaled rajab: 16year old whizz half
    Joe O’Neil: five eight tough as nails and plays direct and quick at the line
    Paul alimotti: centre with power and skill

12. Mr Invisible

Mr Invisible Banned

The talent pool thins as you get closer to NRL. It's been said that from something like 100 superstars in the lower grades, only 5 will end up playing NRL. For every 5 that end up playing NRL, only 1 or 2 will truly be superstars.

There are pretty big step ups in grades. Qld system is almost always behind NSW equivalents throughout the grades.

NSW vs QLD
    Under 16s: Harold Matthews Cup vs Cyril Connell Cup (replaced with Qld Junior Championships which runs for bugger all time).
    Under 18s: SG Ball Cup vs Mal Meninga Cup
    Under 20s: Jersey Flegg vs Hastings Deering Colts (Broncos affiliated with 6 of 14 teams, Titans 3, Cowboys 3, Storm 1).
    Reserve Grade for Under 20s: Sydney Shield vs Unsure if there is an equivalent.
    Reserve Grade: Canterbury Cup vs Intrust Super Cup
    Reserve Grade for Reserve Grade: Ron Massey Cup vs Unsure if there is an equivalent.

Storm also tap from Victorian Thunderbolts in NSWRL comp.

13. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Kennel Immortal

Recruitment, isn’t the problem. Image and reputation are.
    Apart from the very few “bolt from the blue” players from nowhere, every single club is looking at the same “future superstars”. Our problem is, our club isn’t an appealing proposition.

14. habs

habs xdf Staff Member Gilded

I don’t think there is a single player in our system that could be considered a superstar but that’s just me. Since about the early 2000s the only superstars I have seen come through were:

Anasta
    SBW
    Thurston
    Barba

Everyone knew SBW was very special. Thurston and Barba had their detractors and not everyone thought they would make it. Anasta was always streets ahead of his peers in the lower grades.

In fairness though in that time we produced rep quality footballers (Sorry for whomever I missed):

Elmasri
    Utai
    Sherwin
    Mason
    Asotasi
    Maitua

To a lesser extent:

Reynolds (he did play for nsw)
    Idris (played for australia)
    Jackson
    Klemmer

15. Moey

Moey Kennel Enthusiast

That's why i asked the question originally. Its been so long since there has been any excitement whatsover. Usually there has been quite a few players coming through the grades that you thought, hey this player can be something special.

I think it was same time as Barba, when we had Kasiano, finucane, jackson, Idris, Taupau and i thought Wow our future is looking so bright and it was for a bit till Des came and fucked everyone off pretty much.

Besides that as u said last one was SBW, we all knew he was a freak and boy did he deliver.

These days we have absolutely no one to get excited about. It's sad when fans got excited about Okenbur when he has been this useless since i first layed eyes on him years ago.

Unless we do a Newcastle and buy players i honestly can't see us getting back to top anytime soon unless we put all our eggs in 1 basket and develop some champion youngsters to come through the ranks like we did back in the day with Nate Myles, Asotasi, Sbw, Thurston who all came through same time.

And sherwin mason anasta maitua as well.

• Like Like x 1
  16. maroondog72

maroondog72 Kennel Addict Gilded

Hey finchie are any of our scouts looking north of the boarder??

17. finchie

finchie Kennel Immortal

Yes they have people that way and they send tapes etc

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mr Invisible

Mr Invisible Banned

I'd have posted Joseph O'Neills highlight video, but the clowns who run the Dogs website have linked the Williams/Alatomi video to the link instead LOL

19. btrainben

Just saw a whole article on FoxSports linking your boy with the Roosters. So that's the end of that.

20. Mitch Connor

Mitch Connor Super Moderator Staff Member

Ah I was trying to find these posts