Who’s more genuine? An used AMG driver or a brand new Hyundai driver?

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
As a mechanic myself and after working on and owning a bunch of different Euro and Jap cars from the 70s, through to modern day stuff, I have this conclusion.

If you plan on working on your own car, whether it be now or in the future, Japanese or Korean is the way to go.

If you have no intention to work on it, and want a vehicle that feels better built, quieter, more luxurious fittings etc, then European is the way to go. Especially if you do a lot of driving, a more quiet and comfortable vehicle can make you feel way more refreshed at the end of the week.

I actually prefer Hyundai and Kias over the Japanese counterparts purely based off a value for money. Mazda have come out and said they are focusing on luxury vehicles now so expect the next generation Mazda to start at 6 figures.

To answer your original question, any AMG, BMW M Sport, Audi S Line etc , no matter the mileage, will give the impression, true or false, that the owner is more successful than someone who drives a Hyundai.

About 15yrs ago, my old man was given $50k from his work to purchase a new work vehicle. Instead of buying a new Ford or Holden or Toyota, he spent less and bought a Maserati and fuck me what a car. No issues what so ever and the ride was unbelievable and the sound of that Ferrari derived V8 was a thing of beauty.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As a mechanic myself and after working on and owning a bunch of different Euro and Jap cars from the 70s, through to modern day stuff, I have this conclusion.

If you plan on working on your own car, whether it be now or in the future, Japanese or Korean is the way to go.

If you have no intention to work on it, and want a vehicle that feels better built, quieter, more luxurious fittings etc, then European is the way to go. Especially if you do a lot of driving, a more quiet and comfortable vehicle can make you feel way more refreshed at the end of the week.

I actually prefer Hyundai and Kias over the Japanese counterparts purely based off a value for money. Mazda have come out and said they are focusing on luxury vehicles now so expect the next generation Mazda to start at 6 figures.

To answer your original question, any AMG, BMW M Sport, Audi S Line etc , no matter the mileage, will give the impression, true or false, that the owner is more successful than someone who drives a Hyundai.

About 15yrs ago, my old man was given $50k from his work to purchase a new work vehicle. Instead of buying a new Ford or Holden or Toyota, he spent less and bought a Maserati and fuck me what a car. No issues what so ever and the ride was unbelievable and the sound of that Ferrari derived V8 was a thing of beauty.
Also, if you want the euro, make sure it's in warranty period.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plus they will be obsolete the second hydrogen cars become a thing.
what about after 5-7 years and the battery drops capacity.. EV manufacturers should state now the cost of a replacement battery.. give the customer real info

good luck selling it used with a dud battery. The few cents they save on fuel they pay 1000 times over in lack of residual value. We be worth nothing as a used car

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
what about after 5-7 years and the battery drops capacity.. EV manufacturers should state now the cost of a replacement battery.. give the customer real info

good luck selling it used with a dud battery. The few cents they save on fuel they pay 10 times over in lack of residual value.
Don't know how accurate it is but everyone says a Tesla battery is 18k. Doesn't sound right but wouldn't be surprised.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its more genuine down to earth to not judge people by their car altogether but Hyundai folk are prolly more not give a fuck so them

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got a 2019 Mazda 3 GT for the misses. Never knew Mazdas were that high quality... fkn LOADED with tech and luxury.

Plus the hatch performs well and is wide AF which I love.
Nice!! That's got the 2.5L doesn't it? We took delivery of a brand new (G25 Evolve SP) a few months ago. Only thing we added was the Vision pack with 360 degree cameras.

I'm blown away at how good quality cameras are in it too. My car the techs a smidge older, but the cameras not as clear (infact we got told not to bother with the Vision pack for it).

I'm suprised even as an auto, just how bloody brisk / responsive they are. Plant the boot and they get off the line incredibly quickly. One of those cars that puts a smile on your face.

Did you know in the US they have the 2.5L in AWD and turbocharged?!! Apparently it absolutely rips, and Mazda Australia have been begging for Mazda to bring them out here, but they are only made in Left Hand Drive for the US Domestic Market.

Also check out some review / read some info on the new CX-90 they just dropped. Very nice looking SUV, but over $100k onroad! 3L turbocharged inline 6, with a mild 48v hybrid setup to get it flying off the line.

Mazda have recently said they are taking aim at the premium euro brands, rather than competing with Hyundai and Kia these days.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Nice!! That's got the 2.5L doesn't it? We took delivery of a brand new (G25 Evolve SP) a few months ago. Only thing we added was the Vision pack with 360 degree cameras.

I'm blown away at how good quality cameras are in it too. My car the techs a smidge older, but the cameras not as clear (infact we got told not to bother with the Vision pack for it).

I'm suprised even as an auto, just how bloody brisk / responsive they are. Plant the boot and they get off the line incredibly quickly. One of those cars that puts a smile on your face.

Did you know in the US they have the 2.5L in AWD and turbocharged?!! Apparently it absolutely rips, and Mazda Australia have been begging for Mazda to bring them out here, but they are only made in Left Hand Drive for the US Domestic Market.

Also check out some review / read some info on the new CX-90 they just dropped. Very nice looking SUV, but over $100k onroad! 3L turbocharged inline 6, with a mild 48v hybrid setup to get it flying off the line.

Mazda have recently said they are taking aim at the premium euro brands, rather than competing with Hyundai and Kia these days.
Yeah bro 2.5L. Pretty zippy with the sports button and the paddle shifters.

I've seen the turbo AWDs, apparently they love them in Europe in the snow.

Did you guys get the hatch? I usually like sedans but the hatches are hot with the long bonnet, nice arse end and they are wide AF.

PS the 12 speaker Bose system is off tap.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reckon they'd sound decent with an exhaust as the 2.5 is pretty throaty.

Did you guys get the hatch?
Yeah got the hatch as the sedans were a way off, and we've always had hatches.

Ours just has the standard Mazda audio system in it, but it still goes pretty nicely.

The roofline takes some getting used to, as its quite low inside.

For the price you pay, absolutely packed with technology.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know how accurate it is but everyone says a Tesla battery is 18k. Doesn't sound right but wouldn't be surprised.
probably more.. they never advertise this little surprise.. EV has a massive buy in cost and no resale..

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
The real Tesla knew how to power the entire planet with free energy.

Nikola Tesla would laugh at how primitive the Tesla motor company is and be ashamed that its named after him!

It's funny how people think Elon Musk is an innovator too.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had an order on a brand new WRX in 2022. I pre-ordered it. Subaru gave me a demo car for the whole weekend when the demos were available. I was a little disappointed as yes with AWD they scream off the line but only if you’re willing to drop the clutch at 5000rpm. In your own car probably not unless you want to replace clutches every year or break it. It also felt your would break the car how it shuddered real bad with a hard launch and redline changes. Then about 85km/h I felt like it fell off power, it only revved to 6000rpm with a hard cut. It felt overall slower than my old wrx, just more grown up. I thought a decent v6 would go with it roll on race (not off the line though) The times they quote 0-100 can’t be met unless you launch them brutally hard. Real world driving with a reasonable launch they are about half a second to a second slower than their claims.

then Hyundai lent me a i30n. That was the opposite, it didn’t get off the line if you launched it hard without axle tramping but had a nice big punch in second gear and had way more roll on power.. better for everyday driving. with a soft launch it was still hitting their 0-100 claims maybe even slightly better. Despite the poor launch they get going and at the quarter mile hit a good 10-12km/h faster than the new wrx

so after waiting 6 months for the Subaru I bought a brand new i30n sitting on the lot (someone’s cancelled order) just as they were unloading my Subaru off a boat at port Kembla.

Last edited:

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Id have my SSV or any Clubsport over both. After that my Toyota Prado or a Landcruiser.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Id have my SSV or any Clubsport over both. After that my Toyota Prado or a Landcruiser.
but you cannot buy a hsv clubsport no more. I wouldnt buy a used one these days.. parts are getting a little scarce

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
but you cannot buy a hsv clubsport no more. I wouldnt buy a used one these days.. parts are getting a little scarce
No they aren't bro. Every mechanic I talk to laughs at that bullshit rumour.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No they aren't bro. Every mechanic I talk to laughs at that bullshit rumour.
my indicator of when parts are getting scarce is when the Chinese stop making copy rims :grinning:

I cannot find a set of Chinese copy fpv or hsv rims anywhere these days.

Last edited:

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
my indicator of when parts are getting scarce is when the Chinese stop making copy rims :grinning:

I cannot find a set of Chinese copy fpv or hsv rims anywhere these days.
Really? Not even in Cabra or Livo?

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Tell me when Holden or ford ever put nice forever rims on a car ever. Aftermarket always look better. Keep originals in the garage.