Which past players do you miss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As a life long Bulldogs fan i have seen a lot of great players come and go from the club. I thought instead of discussing potential recruits we could talk about players we miss and what we think made them great. For me it will be interesting to see what people loved about the players who came before my time.

Brent Sherwin.
I learned about RL towards the end of Turveys career so i know he was a super creative player but my actual recollections of how he played are dimmed by youth. I guess my concentration span was lacking when i was young. Brent Sherwin was the best halfback i can clearly remember playing for our club. He was just something special. He was the most important cog in our engine back then. Whenever he got the ball the opposition seemed to tense up. He had so many weapons in his arsenal that he just scared the defense while keeping me on the edge of my seat. He was never the quickest player in the team but he used his footwork incredibly well. Many players are capable of using the runaround play to re-inject themselves into the attack, but this was a big part of Sherwins game. It's something i don't notice many halves these days use much. He didn't score off his own line breaks much but fed easy tries to plenty of our backs when he cut through a gap. His other major strength was his silky smooth kicking game and being able to choose the right option quickly. We had a pretty potent backline while he was with the club and he was a master at giving them opportunities to show their class.

In short i think he was just an attacking mastermind for most of his time here. I know that personal issues had a negative influence on his form prior to him going to the UK but he is a player i will always have fond recollections of.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Im only 21, so the General and Vagana are the two i miss most.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Hazem and Shifty :(

Symm

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Martin Bella. Comedy gold.

[video=youtube;4ZtQNloDrtw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZtQNloDrtw[/video]

Sauce Head

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always loved Darren Britt - no nonsense front rower who pretty much invented the off load!
Ewan mgrady was the most exciting player until barba (another debate right there).
Barba if you are looking purely from a skill perspective. Some of this moments in 2012 were unforgettable.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Could you imagine having Steve Mortimer and Terry lamb guiding our current pack around the ground? We would be unstoppable. It would also solve our halves dilemma.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I miss david stagg- his determination, and his willingness to put his body on the line week in and week out.
Mick Ennis- his reliable defense and ability to put players of his games, was fun to watch
Dene halatau- always played with determination
Hazem el Masri- his speed and reliable goal kicking
Mark o meley- his brutality along with Roy asotasi always made our pack fierce.
Steve price- His leadership skills and determination
Jonathann Thurston- alright with us, but I'm still spewing to this day that we let him go.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Lamb
Bella
Dymock
Hetherington
Haumono
Readon
Price

All the tough mofos lol

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Turvey ,lamb
Growing up 4 of my neighbours were dogs supporters so most back yard footy games would turn into a knuckle before kick off over who would be baa or turvey. Black eyes , bleeding lips blood an torn shirts , to have the honour to pretend to be a bulldogs legend. None of us backed down ever lol just like those dogs legends .and I'll always miss the 80s and how awesome it was to be a dogs fan

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
the almighty shrek. never backed down from anyone and couldve played in any era and still kill it.

Billy Bean

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Johnathan Thurston ..... Still blows my mind we let him go .... A mistake of epic proportions, which has cost us, god knows how many premierships.

Wearnze

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark O'Meley.

Johnathon Thurston.

Tony Grimaldi.

Steve Price.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I loved mason in his prime, he was an idiot but it was crazy how destructive he was when he first started playing. The Australia V England match was funny as well none of them could tackle him.

Shifty , Rod Silva , craig polla mounter and shrek.

Status
Not open for further replies.