WHERE DOES BURTON RATE?

cuzza

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We know we have a bottom 3, FB, HB and Hooker.

Where do you think Burton Ranks on this list? I still think there is still 6-7 in front of him.
C.MUNSTER
J.LUAI
J.WIGHTON
D.BROWN
C.WALKER
K.FORAN
L.BROOKS
M.MOYLAN
S.WALKER
T.DEARDEN
T.GAMBLE
J.BIRD
C.HARRIS-TAVITA.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
After Munster, Luai and Walker Burton's on the next level below. You could make an argument for Burton over everyone else imo (not saying he is but it isn't worth debating, insignificant difference).

Next year Mahoney's the same after Grant and Cook.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I reckon 4th

1. C.MUNSTER
2. J.LUAI
3 D.BROWN
4. M. BURTON
5. J WIGHTON
6 C.WALKER
7 M.MOYLAN
8. K.FORAN
9. L.BROOKS
10. S.WALKER
11. J BIRD
12. T.DEARDEN
13. C HARRIS TAVITA
14. T.GAMBLE
15. W. SMITH
16. T.HOY

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
After Munster, Luai and Walker Burton's on the next level below. You could make an argument for Burton over everyone else imo (not saying he is but it isn't worth debating, insignificant difference).

Next year Mahoney's the same after Grant and Cook.
No way would Burton as a 5/8 be ranked ahead of Wighton or Brown. Burton comes in 7th at the highest, ahead of Brooks. Burton has really struggled to be creative in setting up his outside backs or edge running forwards. Don't knows he's capable of organising. It's not his strength. He can run and kick and that's it.

cuzza

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yeah I still feel ranked in bottom half, I think with exp will go up time will tell....just shows how weak our spine actually is... thanks baz!

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Bottom half only because of the garbage around him. If we were say a top 8 side not saying he’d be picked but he would be in the mix for the rep sides. Its such a shame.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
No way would Burton as a 5/8 be ranked ahead of Wighton or Brown. Burton comes in 7th at the highest, ahead of Brooks. Burton has really struggled to be creative in setting up his outside backs or edge running forwards. Don't knows he's capable of organising. It's not his strength. He can run and kick and that's it.
Wighton's slipping. All he has is an aggressive running game close to the line. Maybe Brown but not that much of a difference. After that I just reiterate my first post.

Okay had a look at the stats (eye test more important) maybe being a bit too harsh on Wighton but I also think you need to include potential when comparing. I'd still rather have Burton than Wighton (but again there isn't much of a difference, also different players). If Burton was in a better team he'd look better and have better stats.

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'd much rather have Burton than players like Moylan, Brooks or a 90 year old Foran..

There's no point ranking Burton now when he's played less than 15 FG games in the halves. This time next year he'll be closer to the top of that list and people will be eating their words about calling him a centre.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Somewhere mid-table.. he’s had one outstanding game for us out of 9.

Nobody’s like Dearden have had 3-4 outstanding games and several good ones

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I'd much rather have Burton than players like Moylan, Brooks or a 90 year old Foran..

There's no point ranking Burton now when he's played less than 15 FG games in the halves. This time next year he'll be closer to the top of that list and people will be eating their words about calling him a centre.
Yes but performance wise he's still lucky to get out of the bottom 4 of this list. Brown was horrendous last season with 2 try assists and I think 4 tries in a much better team but he's since turned his form around and is now the inform 5/8 behind Munster.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I reckon 4th

1. C.MUNSTER
2. J.LUAI
3 D.BROWN
4. M. BURTON
5. J WIGHTON
6 C.WALKER
7 M.MOYLAN
8. K.FORAN
9. L.BROOKS
10. S.WALKER
11. J BIRD
12. T.DEARDEN
13. C HARRIS TAVITA
14. T.GAMBLE
15. W. SMITH
16. T.HOY
You have judged Dearden very harsh

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
You must be fun at parties
It's fact. He has 4 try involvements, 1 line break and a couple of line break assists in 9 games. He hasn't been anymore of a creative outlet as we had last season. The only thing saving him as been his left boot getting us out of trouble and forcing repeat sets. It might turn around in the second part of the season but right now he hasn't performed anywhere near as good as most of the guys listed.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yes but performance wise he's still lucky to get out of the bottom 4 of this list. Brown was horrendous last season with 2 try assists and I think 4 tries in a much better team but he's since turned his form around and is now the inform 5/8 behind Munster.
Brown is a good example.. That's why we need patience with Burton. The talent is there. He's starting to look better the last few games. This time next year he won't even be in the same sentence as some of the chumps on that list.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Brown is a good example.. That's why we need patience with Burton. The talent is there. He's starting to look better the last few games. This time next year he won't even be in the same sentence as some of the chumps on that list.
Brown is younger although more experienced. Burton might get there but I'm only judging off what we've seen so far and our ability to actually develop players.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Brown is younger although more experienced. Burton might get there but I'm only judging off what we've seen so far and our ability to actually develop players.
Yeah there's no doubt Brown is in a much better situation.. Hopefully next year with Mahoney, Kikau and a new coach we see not just Burton but the whole team being utilised better. We'd be laughing if we had someone like Fitzgibbon now.. Hopefully the next coach they hire actually works out this time because we can't afford to get it wrong again.