• Baz sacked at the end of the season

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • Baz survives by selling his soul to the devil

Votes: 6 4.2%

• Total voters

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If the club has a interim coach who wants the job Baz will get sacked today, if they don't he will be given a time frame while they find someone is what I think. I can't really see anyone wanting to come unless they are promised things because its a high chance that we will kill their career.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
There are few if any coaches available who could change this mess.
I wanted Baz to be a success but unfortunately it hasn’t happened.
My concern is that if Baz is sacked Gus may walk which will effect future recruitment.
To be fair you can’t blame him for DUFTY refusing to tackle , Naden and Okunbur continually dropping the ball. Jackson and Waddell continually giving penalties away and a dummy half that takes an age to pass the ball.
Unfortunately there are not any better players than those he has been selecting.
Those who have been calling for JMK to be dropped need to watch reserve grade to realise that Cook for example is worse.
So I would keep him unless someone suitable suddenly becomes available. He needs help that’s for sure. Firstly we need a halfback that doesn’t prop before the line and allow defenders to slide onto everyone outside him.
That would be a start.
All true and all part of why we are in this terrible hole.

We need to professionally work our way thru every single little issue that has lead us to this dire situation.

Just like the 1%ers on the footy field, the 1%ers off it, in administering and solving problems, need to have cool heads unemotionally solving and tackling problems one by one.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My opinion from what gus said about being patient and the young players that have been recruited is he needs another year or 2. He needs someone to buy him that time.
He probably didnt expect baz to fail like this. Didnt expect too much for a year or 2 but at least win a few games. Put in an acceptable show. Give the fans something until the young talents can be ready.
The bad results this year has probably put a lot of pressure on the plan. If they hang on to baz, unlikely he can buy time for another year or 2. A new coach can probably give them that.
That will be my guess.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He won’t be sacked unless an interim coach has already been lined up. The only change with that could be if Gus was prepared to be interim coach until they got someone else.

Shane Flanagan as an interim coach for this year only. See what he can do to turn us around.

Possibly Mick Potter could also be an option.

CCC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think the coaching staff will be at Centrelink on Tuesday but Barrett survives for now.
Plus maybe S Flanagan as ‘coaching director’ to mentor Baz (or eventually cut him)

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
My gut feeling is a Gus feeling he will make a compelling case for Baz to stay on

We aren’t making the 8 for another 5 years and won’t win the comp again in our lifetime FFS

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I'm guessing he is gone as he is not attending the meeting. If he were attending I'd guess the coaching staff will be sacked.
I doubt we could punt the entire coaching staff in one swoop, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the support staff were told their contracts won’t be renewed at the end of the season. After that call, Ferris goes to KFC :-).

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Only 2 options from here
He coaches out the rest of the year but leaves at years end
He’s gone this week, Tangles takes over as care taker coach for the rest of the year until we find a replacement
While I think Barrett is a huge part of the problem, Furner and Ferris are also just as much liable and they’ll fuck off too
Furner and Ferris are his hands picked lieutenants

Bye to all

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think in the best interests of both parties, Baz has to go today. The stress it must be causing him personally must be immense with the constant pressure through media and fans, and its probably negatively impacting his ability to coach properly. He isnt and hasnt achieved any results with this club, last year it was cattle and this year its not putting in for the 80. If he cant get the best out of our roster, someone else has to step in. Its a results driven business and unfortunately for Trent, there are no results.

The rest of the coaching staff will be gone either today or end of year, but they definitely wont be there for next season. The boys are unfit, defence is poor and if anything the team has regressed. There's no way they'll be kept on

Tangata toa to take over in the interim. I dont see Flanno Sr coming immediately as he's contracted to St George in a consultancy/assistant position this year but i'd say he'll be over in 23. Not sure if that is the best option for our club either, given all the scrutiny etc of his son over the last 2 years. Last thing we need is family infighting to add to the shit going on at Belmore.

Last edited:

BankstownBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can’t see Baz getting straight out sacked right now.

Gus has backed him (means nothing in RL in know) and even before the pressure spoke about how well Baz presented to his players and that he was articulate and thorough.

Gus also made it quiet clear that the salary cap wasn’t balanced correctly and that it would take time to get things right.

Our spine is dog shit really. He knows it, we know it. Baz keeps saying that our end of sets etc are not good enough. He isn’t coaching them to the way that we are playing in my opinion.
We just have fucking numpties in crucial positions.
If we had Reynolds at 7 and if we could stop dropping the fucking ball at crucial times, I already see us in a much better position.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I’d say he already had the talk of needing to win so many games in the next few weeks before the roosters game. 2 out of next 3 or something. You can see it on his face the tension growing each week. They have already had that chat.

I would say he is told today he won’t be here next year and he can see out the year and try turn it around for his career somewhere else. Or he is sacked today. Support staff sacking won’t help a lost dressing room.

It would be good to know what side the players are on. Their results say they don’t support him.
Very plausible.
Looked like a broken man in Friday night’s presser.
I honestly don’t think the players care.
They just want to enjoy their footy in a winning team and that’s clearly not happening at this point.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
My opinion from what gus said about being patient and the young players that have been recruited is he needs another year or 2. He needs someone to buy him that time.
He probably didnt expect baz to fail like this. Didnt expect too much for a year or 2 but at least win a few games. Put in an acceptable show. Give the fans something until the young talents can be ready.
The bad results this year has probably put a lot of pressure on the plan. If they hang on to baz, unlikely he can buy time for another year or 2. A new coach can probably give them that.
That will be my guess.
I agree that if we were say 5-5, most members/fans would say ‘We’ve won more games than last year, we’re at least progressing’ and probably be content enough with that for now. But 2-8 (and let’s face it we could be 0-10, the two wins were anything but convincing) paints an entirely different picture.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
He won’t be sacked unless an interim coach has already been lined up. The only change with that could be if Gus was prepared to be interim coach until they got someone else.

Shane Flanagan as an interim coach for this year only. See what he can do to turn us around.

Possibly Mick Potter could also be an option.
Flanagan has gigs at the Steelers and now with PNG RL in development. Would be quit that for a head coach role? Probably, but I don’t see it happening, especially if Kyle is on notice.

Mounties are running second last in NSW Cup so that doesn’t look great for Potter.

If a caretaker is required it points to Tangles.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gus will be asked for his opinion and the board will either give Barrett new assistant coaches or Gus' role will be expanded. Baz won't be sacked yet.
This. It's like déjà vu at the Panthers. A 5 year plan that took 8 years. And after he leaves them, they make 2 grand finals in a row, winning one of them. Rumours at the time said he didn't leave on his own terms.

Malla

Reaction score
That will be my guess.
The 'experienced players' Barrett has signed have been horrible - Allen, Naden, Flanagan, Dufty - you expect them to play good footy week in week out, but they are attrotious.
The young players with potential have no progressed.
We should not have been expecting to be a top 8 team but if we seen improvement in the player development then Baz would not have been under any pressure but we are losing and players are going backwards. He's a young coach. I don't think he knows 'how' to do it, he knows what he wants, but seems like he doesn't understand how to get the best out of players.
As I think more about this, Barrett's failure was the assistant's he brought in as well