Opinion What the Bulldogs are lacking 2022

Mal_Z

Waterboy
Reaction score
Let's be honest, Flanagan will again be starting halfback in 2020. Gus has pretty much said it. So that means we have a future rep player in Burton, X factor in Dufty and TPJ, some grunt up the middle in Vaughan, and a kicking target in Naden. The doggies in 2022 will be full of potential and individual brilliance, but we lack a real general. Like Graham was, we need someone who isn't afraid to give out a spray and get the boys in line. Whether we can find that in Thompson is unknown but I feel it's a priority we need to address.

Then we have the hooker problem. It's embarrassing how a stopgap hooker in JMK became our first choice week in week out. One part of me would like to see Josh Cook have a go, but he's still very young. Another part of me likes Josh Hodgson. Although he's said to be a waster product at the green machine, I feel he'd provide stability and a strong voice in the middle third. He also doesn't just hand the ball to Floppas' side.

Thoughts on any other options?

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doubt Flanagan will even be with us next year tbh. We just need a good hooker and we’ll survive, I think we’re more desperate for a 9 than a 7. The modern game relies on having a good dummy half that’s smart around the ruck and we don’t

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Im going off when Gus said he'd like to see Flanagan perform in a stronger side. When Gus wants something from the dogs, he'll get it
Gus talks soooooo much shit, I wouldn't take a lot of what he says so seriously. Flanagan starting at halfback is the most backwards move ever, it's not happening.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Question marks at hooker, fullback, Burton's halves partner (I like Averillo but if Baz continues the Panther blueprint it won't work) and Thompson's prop partner (almost certainly Vaughan, but he's in similar boat to Dufty at this stage of his career imo).

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Gus isn't going to come out and publicly say flannagan won't be the starting half. He's not that weak.
But I don't think he's our starting half. I'd like to give wakeham another shot at 7 with Burton, wakes looks like he's beefed up alot. Bar a few kicks loomed pretty solid last week

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
As aleady mentioned by others, we ain't going no where without sorting out that dummy half role.

With Dafty and Burten joining, we can fake it until we make it to an extent but you can't do shit without a number 9 steering the team.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's be honest, Flanagan will again be starting halfback in 2020. Gus has pretty much said it. So that means we have a future rep player in Burton, X factor in Dufty and TPJ, some grunt up the middle in Vaughan, and a kicking target in Naden. The doggies in 2022 will be full of potential and individual brilliance, but we lack a real general. Like Graham was, we need someone who isn't afraid to give out a spray and get the boys in line. Whether we can find that in Thompson is unknown but I feel it's a priority we need to address.

Then we have the hooker problem. It's embarrassing how a stopgap hooker in JMK became our first choice week in week out. One part of me would like to see Josh Cook have a go, but he's still very young. Another part of me likes Josh Hodgson. Although he's said to be a waster product at the green machine, I feel he'd provide stability and a strong voice in the middle third. He also doesn't just hand the ball to Floppas' side.

Thoughts on any other options?
If Flanagan is our starting 1/2, he will undo any good work done by Burton and every other player.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus isn't going to come out and publicly say flannagan won't be the starting half. He's not that weak.
But I don't think he's our starting half. I'd like to give wakeham another shot at 7 with Burton, wakes looks like he's beefed up alot. Bar a few kicks loomed pretty solid last week
Our options for 7 next year as it stands.
Flanagan
Averillo
Wakeham
BBO

BBO has potential but isn’t ready for the full time gig at 7. I think with a season in the 14. He is a very good prospect moving forward.

Flanagan might play better surrounded by better players but I’m not convinced. His vision for a halfback is poor. His kicking game for a half back is poor. His defence isn’t great. He is a good goal kicker.

Averillo put simply is not a half. He doesn’t organise. His kicking game isn’t good. Defensively he is ordinary at best. He is a runner. I’m not sure why he wasn’t given a run at fullback this year? I think he is a natural centre with the ball but his defence is not close to being a first grade centre in the NRL.

Wakeham is the best defensive option in this group of players. He has some XFactor qualities without being anything that special.

With the current list for me it’s.

6. Burton
7. Wakeham

14. BBO