What kind of style will the team play under Ciraldo?

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Can't wait for the season to start, just wondering what kind of style will we see the bulldogs play under Cam Ciraldo? Will it be a conservative defense focused team or are we going to be a bit more expansive and throw the ball around a bit more? Thoughts?

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Can't wait for the season to start, just wondering what kind of style will we see the bulldogs play under Cam Ciraldo? Will it be a conservative defense focused team or are we going to be a bit more expansive and throw the ball around a bit more? Thoughts?
At this stage of my life I'm not concerned about the style, I just want wins! Seems a great culture being built, hopefully it transfers into WINs.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Gangnam. Haha nah I think it will be pretty defense based but I find the panthers boring to watch a lot of the time so hope we aren’t completely structured in attack

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Gangnam. Haha nah I think it will be pretty defense based but I find the panthers boring to watch a lot of the time so hope we aren’t completely structured in attack
True, for the amount of wins they had last year you would have expected their 'points for' to have been more impressive. Hopefully Ciraldo builds on the vision Potter had.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
the opposed training session on Saturday their attack looked expansive with CC defensive structures

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I would think it would be very much focused on defense and attitude. And in attack with ball in hand, I think he will encourage the boys to play to their skills and potential and go for what they see in front of them a bit like with Potter. I don't think you will see too much of the Barrett style stiff structure.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I expect us to be the strongest we've been defensively and the fittest we've been in years. In attack I think the ball will move around quite a bit and they'll keep a lot of what worked last year.

We have so much speed and a lot of players who offload well so support play will be vital. Last year after Potter took over the support play was brilliant. You saw multiple players pushing up time after time.

LoneWolf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hard to say ..

I think there would be a great emphasis on defense but we also have attacking threats especially left side .

Post Barrett we played more expansive and more heads up football and I think with time ( round 10 ) we’ll get more expansive but to start off , might be a little rigid

You wouldn’t think with the attacking threat we have that it’ll be tempered with too much structured football .

When you measure structures against the benchmark ( Panthers ) they play a very structured attack but individually ,players like Cleary / yeo have the freedom to play heads up footy

I think with addition of kikau it’s going to make burton more of a threat with ball in hand

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree they’ll be a better defensive team, focus definitely on top 8 ..

Think CC & Co. might use a lot of 2023 evaluating players, seeing who’s in their long term plans, and who takes the train.

Hoping with Mahoney now steering the ship that everything they do is much faster, getting off their line with speed and being in the oppositions face, play as a pack with plenty of players in motion around the ball, something we’ve lacked for years ..

As the teams not fully built yet I think we’ll still see a lot of Potter/Sandercock eyes up footy …

Last edited:

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The best way for a new coach is to get the defensive side of the game right first off. Players who can’t or won’t tackle are not worth a dime in the modern game.

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
2nd half of last year should be the base style of our attack. If we build on that attack and include solid defence we will be hard to beat

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Games are mainly won on the defence. The attack will come later.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus mentioned several times on his podcasts last year that he likes teams to develop their own style and not just copy the good teams. As soon as he said that I knew Baz was gone.

He praised Todd Payten quiet alot because they had developed their own style under him and it suited the squad they have.

I think its fair to assume that would be have been one of the key factors when he signed Ciraldo (i.e. bring your own style of footy here and dont just cut and paste what the Panthers did).

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's hard to guess what a mostly untested coach will dish up. To some extent that is my big worry. So far he's had to take over a team with a developed style temporarily. But never to judge what to do based on the player skillset he has in front of him.

I have no issues with him trying to invent a new style. But if it doesn't work, I hope he's ok with dropping it and trying something else that suits the players better.

Only time will tell. Hopefully we recruited a winner in the coaches box.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
A team that doesn't give up with the players working hard for each other both in attack & defense.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree they’ll be a better defensive team, focus definitely on top 8 ..

Think CC & Co. might use a lot of 2023 evaluating players, seeing who’s in their long term plans, and who takes the train.

Hoping with Mahoney now steering the ship that everything they do is much faster, getting off their line with speed and being in the oppositions face, play as a pack with plenty of players in motion around the ball, something we’ve lacked for years ..

As the teams not fully built yet I think we’ll still see a lot of Potter/Sandercock eyes up footy …
Mahoney is one player I'm really looking forward to.
Not only his crisp passing from the ruck but his kicking game which will take pressure off Burton and allow him to think more about running the ball than setting up to kick.

Flanno will probably just be just distributing the ball in structure since he can't ball play and has the kicking game of a tortoise.