What kind of style will the team play under Ciraldo?

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Attacking with the defense, like the good old days, and eyes up footy looking to put our evasive/speedy players into gaps from anywhere on the field.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Can't wait for the season to start, just wondering what kind of style will we see the bulldogs play under Cam Ciraldo? Will it be a conservative defense focused team or are we going to be a bit more expansive and throw the ball around a bit more? Thoughts?
Doggy style ? I think we will be trying to build it from our defense CC was the defensive coach at Penrith, so you would have to think, given their performance in recent years, we will be following that blueprint. We have some of the best offloaders in the comp in our pack, so there will be plenty of 2nd phase play opportunities . Hopefully Mahoney can get the ball to players who can take advantage of that.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ummm...
  • SHEER JOY.
  • LOW-RISE WAISTS. ...
  • HIGH-OCTANE SEQUINS. ...
  • COBALT BLUE.
Ohhh we're talking about footy... My bad..

inch for inch footy, first to ball stuff loaded up with some bang up the middle, shift left, shift right and under's for some penetration. Basic as footy accompanied by some individual brilliance.

BIGGEST FOCUS IS BACKING EACHOTHER UP!

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doggy style ? I think we will be trying to build it from our defense CC was the defensive coach at Penrith, so you would have to think, given their performance in recent years, we will be following that blueprint. We have some of the best offloaders in the comp in our pack, so there will be plenty of 2nd phase play opportunities . Hopefully Mahoney can get the ball to players who can take advantage of that.
Yep, it will be defense, defense, defense and more defense .... the attack will come off the back of defense. A proven Bulldog formula which Gus has championed for years.

I expect there to be much more emphasis on initial contact, rather than the grab/ hold ,third man around the ankles rubbish we have become used to.

Not saying our attack will be boring as we have some strike but the main focus will be on getting the defensive structures correct.

Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither will this team be.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yep, it will be defense, defense, defense and more defense .... the attack will come off the back of defense. A proven Bulldog formula which Gus has championed for years.

I expect there to be much more emphasis on initial contact, rather than the grab/ hold ,third man around the ankles rubbish we have become used to.

Not saying our attack will be boring as we have some strike but the main focus will be on getting the defensive structures correct.

Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither will this team be.
Kick early,chase hard,tackle hard. Id like to see Burton using his long kick to shoot for 20/40s and 40/20s early in the tackle count while the wingers are in the defensive line.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Thing I do like about panthers is they are super fit and defensively they grind, twist players back towards their own goal post often on their backs when tackling. And they are relentless, they do it for 80 minutes. Im hoping Ciraldo brings that because we havent dominated anyone defensively for years. Often its been us trying to dig ourselves out of our own half because we had no grunt. I feel those days are over.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
This is one aspect of the club that I'm excited to see. We have a blank canvas to discover our new identity.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ummm...
  • SHEER JOY.
  • LOW-RISE WAISTS. ...
  • HIGH-OCTANE SEQUINS. ...
  • COBALT BLUE.
Ohhh we're talking about footy... My bad..

inch for inch footy, first to ball stuff loaded up with some bang up the middle, shift left, shift right and under's for some penetration. Basic as footy accompanied by some individual brilliance.

BIGGEST FOCUS IS BACKING EACHOTHER UP!
Agree with the footy take .... not sure what to think about the other stuff !

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Any great bulldog team has been defensively minded but expect I expect the edges and backs to be used alot under CC. Our go forward is most important can't do anything without that foundation.

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t think we will see the full style of play he wants until probably 2024/25 but for this season we will probably focus on defence and fitness. Our attack will probably be a lot of what Potter unlocked last season.
I really hope Flanagan doesn’t play much first grade next year. If he’s not part of our long term plans then let him go in NSW cup

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully we learn to transition quickly from attack to defence and vice-versa, and have good defensive line speed for 80 minutes. I also want to see a few more of our forwards genuinely belting ball carriers instead of the grab and hold stuff we've seen too much of at the dogs. And can we please get at least one bloke low in the tackle instead of 3 or 4 up around the ball!

We've got great attacking potential through our offloads and I want to see more interchanging of passes between the forwards through the middle and our fullback (even JAC in off the wing) sniffing around for lazy defenders and gaps. Mahoney gives us way better kicking options which will hopefully see Flanno doing less kicking.

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Mahoney is one player I'm really looking forward to.
Not only his crisp passing from the ruck but his kicking game which will take pressure off Burton and allow him to think more about running the ball than setting up to kick.

Flanno will probably just be just distributing the ball in structure since he can't ball play and has the kicking game of a tortoise.
Mahoney's passing means more metres in hit ups and more space for some pretty exciting outside backs.
We'll see less one-dimensional attack in games even when it's obviously not working.
More options across the park and more flexibility with the game plan.
Even Flanagan may even start to look like a first grader. If he can get the 7 off Reynolds.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Panthers were levels above the rest in 22 so lets match the Panthers, thats how, it dont look so good but hey.

alic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Style of play will come . Every team has multiple
Structures at different points of the field . What will win you games is your defensive structures and your 1%er plays . Work ethic I expect to be a massive difference .

Line speed
Kick pressure
Inside pressure

Our snc coach is a huge upgrade to what we’ve had over the years . When it come to attack we will definitely be exciting because of the players we have .

Our identity will come in offence in terms of what style we will play.
I’m just glad we’ve signed a defensive minded coach as the most successful coaches out there are entirely focused on defensive structures and work ethic .

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope we suffocate the opposition thru defensive determination. Just make em take the two cause they know a try is unlikely. Would be good to get that feeling back where you had full confidence we could hold out for just one set of six on our line.