What is your best Rugby League Book?

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
I just got Wayne Bennetts book for a Christmas Present, should be interesting as he keeps his private life quite private. No matter what people think of him, he sure gets the best out of teams.
Is that Don't Die With The Music In You?
That one is decent. He just keeps things very simple as a coach and with rugby league players simple is best, some blokes who have played the game would barely be able to figure out a way to get lint out of their belly buttons. Plus he usually has the luxury of coaching teams that are littered with stars, last season being perhaps the lone exception.
Another interesting book is Jack Gibson's Played Hard, Done Good from a few decades ago. It is just a book full of quotes from different people, mainly sports coaches, about winning, losing, courage, teammates etc etc. Some of them are brilliant, a lot of the best ones come from Green Bay Packers legendary coach Vince Lombardi, quotes which in rugby league circles are quite often attributed to Jack Gibson or Wayne Bennett themselves but originated with Lombardi.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is that Don't Die With The Music In You?
That one is decent. He just keeps things very simple as a coach and with rugby league players simple is best, some blokes who have played the game would barely be able to figure out a way to get lint out of their belly buttons. Plus he usually has the luxury of coaching teams that are littered with stars, last season being perhaps the lone exception.
Another interesting book is Jack Gibson's Played Hard, Done Good from a few decades ago. It is just a book full of quotes from different people, mainly sports coaches, about winning, losing, courage, teammates etc etc. Some of them are brilliant, a lot of the best ones come from Green Bay Packers legendary coach Vince Lombardi, quotes which in rugby league circles are quite often attributed to Jack Gibson or Wayne Bennett themselves but originated with Lombardi.
No the book is called “The Wolf you Need” the only thing I don't like is that it doesn't show some photos at some stage of the book. Still looking forward to it though. I wouldn't mind reading the Jack Gibson as I've heard some great stories in other books about his unusual methods of coaching that get results.IMG_0293.jpeg

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMG_0294.jpegI live over in Perth now and went into an Op Shop and managed to get the 2nd book in fairly good condition for $2. Cleaned it up and contacted it and was worth it as that was a good read too.

Last edited:

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Steve Price's one was super boring. Avoid that one.
There's one by Malcolm Andrews called Hardmen that was a good read about the tough nuts since the birth of the game in Oz.
Shane Webcke's book was good, Petero Civinoceva, Noel Kelly, Steve Roach.
Price was boring but positive, Lockyer was boring and went through this career yr by yr with stats. Jesus I burned it

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Rugby leagues heroes of yesterday. There's a few books out now but all have some pretty good reading

Wire Dog

Waterboy
Reaction score
Adrian Morley's is a good one, don't know if you can get it in Oz though.

I've read "Don't die with the music in you" too, but a long time ago.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They say don't judge a book by its cover but fuck that...

You couldn't pay me enough to sit down and read about this fat fuck eating pies or talk about two of my most hated teams... .. probably mentions the 06 prelims and the 8 year dynasty......Fuck you third man!

9780143791775.jpg

Last edited:

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only ever read one footy related book and that’s joeys. Not a bad one.

Bulldog Brower

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I read The Great Grand Final Heist by Ian Heads a couple of years ago.
This is a good read about the 1969 grand final, which Balmain won against Souths in a huge upset. It's also the first grand final I watched live on tv.

One interesting point I remember him making in the book is the difference in refereeing then. In those days, when a player decked an opposition player, the referee might tell the player who was attacked that he had one chance to get square. When that occurred the referee would then say it was all even and to get on with it. Times have certainly changed.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I read The Great Grand Final Heist by Ian Heads a couple of years ago.
This is a good read about the 1969 grand final, which Balmain won against Souths in a huge upset. It's also the first grand final I watched live on tv.

One interesting point I remember him making in the book is the difference in refereeing then. In those days, when a player decked an opposition player, the referee might tell the player who was attacked that he had one chance to get square. When that occurred the referee would then say it was all even and to get on with it. Times have certainly changed.
It a great book, Another good one by Ian Haeds is " The night the music died" about Western division winning the midweek Amco cup.