What is your best Rugby League Book?

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the past few years, and bought a whole heap of rugby league biographies on Rugby League players and their Clubs etc. What are some of your favourites? Some of my favourites, in no particular order:

Mal Meninga, Steve Mortimer, Peter Sterling, Cameron Smith, Billy Slater, Brad Fittler, Andrew Johns….

I'm looking for books from players I haven't read before, but are interesting and/or funny stories.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In the past few years, and bought a whole heap of rugby league biographies on Rugby League players and their Clubs etc. What are some of your favourites? Some of my favourites, in no particular order:

Mal Meninga, Steve Mortimer, Peter Sterling, Cameron Smith, Billy Slater, Brad Fittler, Andrew Johns….

I'm looking for books from players I haven't read before, but are interesting and/or funny stories.
The only biography I've read was Hazems. Good read really about his life's journey.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score

IMO the ones from players of the older generation are the best. Back when footy players still had jobs and had generally a hell of a lot more personality than the entitled, boring players of today. None of the current generation will be able to write a book, 25 pages of manicures, fully body waxing, eyebrow plucking, learning funky handshakes, perfecting squeezing in cuz and brah into every sentence and generally dressing like a 14 year old boy-band member wouldn't make for riveting reading for most.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only biography I've read was Hazems. Good read really about his life's journey.
Thanks mate, I will look into that one. I've seen it but never got around to reading it.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also remember Gary Belchers stories of the 1990 Kangaroo Tour, get fun entertainment where the players get up to all sorts or stuff and that's not even on the field.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Steve Price's one was super boring. Avoid that one.
There's one by Malcolm Andrews called Hardmen that was a good read about the tough nuts since the birth of the game in Oz.
Shane Webcke's book was good, Petero Civinoceva, Noel Kelly, Steve Roach.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
I also remember Gary Belchers stories of the 1990 Kangaroo Tour, get fun entertainment where the players get up to all sorts or stuff and that's not even on the field.
Yes I think they ran amok over there on that sojourn. Punching on with the locals at an indoor cricket place, buying cars for dirt cheap that literally had to be walked along like the Flintstone's wagon etc etc. Those Kangaroo tours would of been amazing to be part of, I'm sure the young blokes on those tours got an education from the old veterans.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMG_0231.jpegFor a bit of lighthearted reading I'm reading I'm a league of their own. Some pretty good stories about what players get up to. It's actually varied to as the players stories come from a variety of players and their clubs.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
View attachment 99107For a bit of lighthearted reading I'm reading I'm a league of their own. Some pretty good stories about what players get up to. It's actually varied to as the players stories come from a variety of players and their clubs.
Yep that one is good.

Not footy related but the Max Walker cricket books (looks like the same cartoonist worked on them as League Of Their Own) are great. Full of ripping yarns and no doubt plenty of bullshitting haha. Like the story where Rod Marsh and Dennis Lillee went to some outback pub and Marshy was busting for a number 2 so the publican says the dunny is out the back, so in the dark the roaring drunk Marshy heads off to the brascoe. After a suspiciously long time Lillee wonders where he is and decides to investigate. Walks up to the dunny and yells out 'Marshy are you alright?' to which Marsh replies 'yeah I am but every time I go to stand up something grabs me by the balls'. Lillee turns on the light and finds that Marsh had sat down on an old school mop bucket and the wringer bars were clamping onto his plums as he would go to stand up. The height of bulldust but I got a good laugh out of it haha.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score

Nasheed here,
If I was you I’d look toward England as there is alot of RL historians there and the game predates Australia there. Also some crazy wartime political history with league. It’s what drew me in
Up to thirty years ago the game was stronger there and had a lot of personalities. France even.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I've read Mark Geyers book too. I think I might end up reading Blockers book, he was a tough guy but a good sense of humour too.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Footy players lives aren't really that interesting. Did anyone read Cam Smiths book? Would've been interesting had he talked about the boats that they received when they were rorting the cap..

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Footy players lives aren't really that interesting. Did anyone read Cam Smiths book? Would've been interesting had he talked about the boats that they received when they were rorting the cap..
And how he managed to sign 2 contracts with totally different values and not be suspicious. He’s not that farkin dumb.

Always a Bulldog

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
John Elias' book is a good tale. He got up to plenty of questionable activities and spent some time at her majesty's pleasure for them.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
John Elias' book is a good tale. He got up to plenty of questionable activities and spent some time at her majesty's pleasure for them.
I met john when i was playing for newtown.
Under his jacket was 2 guns
Scary man but a character

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
I met john when i was playing for newtown.
Under his jacket was 2 guns
Scary man but a character
He sure was a character!
From memory it was his fondness for guns that got him locked up. Him and former Saint Michael Beattie.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got Wayne Bennetts book for a Christmas Present, should be interesting as he keeps his private life quite private. No matter what people think of him, he sure gets the best out of teams.