Opinion What is our identity?

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need multiple leaders who epitomise what it means to wear the jersey. James Graham and Josh Jackson come to mind recently.

You can sign over the hill veterans like Finucane because they set the standards at training and on the field.

Having pro senior players helps the whole team be accountable rather than everything being on the coach.
Funny you mention Finucane .. should be still at our club, should have been our captain all these years and setting those standards for us ..

Can’t believe someone made the decision to let him go .. (prob Hasler) I’m still filthy about that, he was our 10 year captain & leader ..

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Grit, determination.

We already saw this year what the squad is capable of.. focus now is filling the positions.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are becoming more and more like the shambolic Eels of yesteryear... New signings, new coaches, every season starts with a renewed sense of optimism only for the same old poor performances to emerge and another season without finals football and in spoon contention

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A foward pack which breaks skulls with intelligent halves that piece teams of the back of it. This spreads the ball pace shit isn’t it good to develop but we’ve always been built of the back of a hard working tough no fucks foward pack.

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny you mention Finucane .. should be still at our club, should have been our captain all these years and setting those standards for us ..

Can’t believe someone made the decision to let him go .. (prob Hasler) I’m still filthy about that, he was our 10 year captain & leader ..
I can agree with you on that one word count. Letting finucane go started the rot

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The whole dogs of war was always a bit of derp anyway. We only had an epic pack for a couple of years in the 80s and the 2000s. So like 7 years out of 50 lol

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Honestly? Our 'identity' as you call it is living in the past.

While I completely understand why all of our fans look back at our history with a smile, we ned to move on and create our own new identity.

We've spent so much time trying to live up to our ghosts, we forgot to make our own new stories.

Let's hope that we can create something amazing these next few years so we can look back on the 20's with a smile on our face also!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You want to know what our identity is ?

Go watch how badly we were ran over the top of, out scored, out muscled, out enthused, and out played by the Sharks in our last game ..

That’s how badly we used to beat them every time we played them … how the tables have turned, they’re now playing how we used to, and we now play like they used to .. the way they now play used to be our identity ..

Sad but true …

Last edited:

Shreksno1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mad king identifies as mark o’meley

tpj identifies as willie mason

heroin lays The problem, theee guys or that era will never be emulated we need our own identity.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mad king identifies as mark o’meley

tpj identifies as willie mason

heroin lays The problem, theee guys or that era will never be emulated we need our own identity.
If Max and TPJ identify as Ogre and Mase then they are fkn idiots. Those fellas are legends, these idiots haven’t done shit.

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
For those who supported the Bulldogs through the 80s, 90s, 00s and early 2010s would know that after having a bad season, the Bulldogs will bounce back immediately the next season. Either in the grand final or as Grand Final winner. You'd watch the team play with pride, passion, aggression and never take back foot step.

We would use to bash teams through the middle, playing entertaining football and teams use to fear and hate playing against us. The Dogs of War and the Entertainers.

But it just seems we have lost that identity towards the end of Dessie's reign as coach when he became the mad professor by being obsessed with Stats, numbers and metrics and we just became a very stale, boring and very predictable team to watch under Dessie. And since Dessie's sacking, we opted for assistant coaches like Dean Pay (to be fair he was given the rough end of the deal with a farked salary cap and a very unbalanced team and C-virus didn't help either), Trent Barrett and now Cameron Ciraldo.

When Barrett got the sack (despite what Gus says) and Potter took over as coach on the interim, it took Potter a few weeks to get the Barrett's Panthers system out of the players to play their game and when we played Parra last season and smashed them 36-6, it was like watching the Bulldogs of the early 2000s under Steve Folkes, there was that passion, pride, enthusiasm, confidence and aggression that we have lacked for so many years, we were bashing teams through the middle with our forwards and playing entertaining football. I remembered seeing Cooper Cronk on Fox League getting very excited to watch the Bulldogs play and he said he hasn't seen this kind of football from the Bulldogs since early in his career. Andrew Johns on the Sunday Footy show even said he can't remember the last time he was so excited to watch a Bulldogs team play. Anasta and Ennis felt that this is the Bulldogs they both know.

But with Gus deciding to go with Ciraldo as coach and Potter as assistant, I'd give Ciraldo the benefit of the doubt to see what he can do to improve on from last season and so far, he has done nothing to improve, in fact, I think we have gone backwards under Ciraldo and again we've gone back to trying to play the Panthers system and with the way how the players are playing, it just looks so forced. It just looks like we have an identity crisis trying to be the Penrith Panthers in every way. To me it doesn't feel like the Bulldogs club I know, every week, every season since 2016, it's a cycle of the same shit and they've become a team that I don't recognise anymore.
At this point in time I feel like ciraldo has lost the dressing room.defence is attitude.
Cowboys got smacked by the tigers and have now won their last four.we get smacked and implode.

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
For those who supported the Bulldogs through the 80s, 90s, 00s and early 2010s would know that after having a bad season, the Bulldogs will bounce back immediately the next season. Either in the grand final or as Grand Final winner. You'd watch the team play with pride, passion, aggression and never take back foot step.

We would use to bash teams through the middle, playing entertaining football and teams use to fear and hate playing against us. The Dogs of War and the Entertainers.

But it just seems we have lost that identity towards the end of Dessie's reign as coach when he became the mad professor by being obsessed with Stats, numbers and metrics and we just became a very stale, boring and very predictable team to watch under Dessie. And since Dessie's sacking, we opted for assistant coaches like Dean Pay (to be fair he was given the rough end of the deal with a farked salary cap and a very unbalanced team and C-virus didn't help either), Trent Barrett and now Cameron Ciraldo.

When Barrett got the sack (despite what Gus says) and Potter took over as coach on the interim, it took Potter a few weeks to get the Barrett's Panthers system out of the players to play their game and when we played Parra last season and smashed them 36-6, it was like watching the Bulldogs of the early 2000s under Steve Folkes, there was that passion, pride, enthusiasm, confidence and aggression that we have lacked for so many years, we were bashing teams through the middle with our forwards and playing entertaining football. I remembered seeing Cooper Cronk on Fox League getting very excited to watch the Bulldogs play and he said he hasn't seen this kind of football from the Bulldogs since early in his career. Andrew Johns on the Sunday Footy show even said he can't remember the last time he was so excited to watch a Bulldogs team play. Anasta and Ennis felt that this is the Bulldogs they both know.

But with Gus deciding to go with Ciraldo as coach and Potter as assistant, I'd give Ciraldo the benefit of the doubt to see what he can do to improve on from last season and so far, he has done nothing to improve, in fact, I think we have gone backwards under Ciraldo and again we've gone back to trying to play the Panthers system and with the way how the players are playing, it just looks so forced. It just looks like we have an identity crisis trying to be the Penrith Panthers in every way. To me it doesn't feel like the Bulldogs club I know, every week, every season since 2016, it's a cycle of the same shit and they've become a team that I don't recognise anymore.
Hit the nail on the head.

But I’m not even sure you can compare this with the last days of Des. We are worse now for sure.

It seems the amateurs are in charge at the moment.

Shreksno1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At this point in time I feel like ciraldo has lost the dressing room.defence is attitude.
Cowboys got smacked by the tigers and have now won their last four.we get smacked and implode.
Hit the nail on the head.

But I’m not even sure you can compare this with the last days of Des. We are worse now for sure.

It seems the amateurs are in charge at the moment.
Fuck this is depressing

Vek

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Overpaid losers pretending to be PenRef Panffers