Opinion What is our identity?

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
For those who supported the Bulldogs through the 80s, 90s, 00s and early 2010s would know that after having a bad season, the Bulldogs will bounce back immediately the next season. Either in the grand final or as Grand Final winner. You'd watch the team play with pride, passion, aggression and never take back foot step.

We would use to bash teams through the middle, playing entertaining football and teams use to fear and hate playing against us. The Dogs of War and the Entertainers.

But it just seems we have lost that identity towards the end of Dessie's reign as coach when he became the mad professor by being obsessed with Stats, numbers and metrics and we just became a very stale, boring and very predictable team to watch under Dessie. And since Dessie's sacking, we opted for assistant coaches like Dean Pay (to be fair he was given the rough end of the deal with a farked salary cap and a very unbalanced team and C-virus didn't help either), Trent Barrett and now Cameron Ciraldo.

When Barrett got the sack (despite what Gus says) and Potter took over as coach on the interim, it took Potter a few weeks to get the Barrett's Panthers system out of the players to play their game and when we played Parra last season and smashed them 36-6, it was like watching the Bulldogs of the early 2000s under Steve Folkes, there was that passion, pride, enthusiasm, confidence and aggression that we have lacked for so many years, we were bashing teams through the middle with our forwards and playing entertaining football. I remembered seeing Cooper Cronk on Fox League getting very excited to watch the Bulldogs play and he said he hasn't seen this kind of football from the Bulldogs since early in his career. Andrew Johns on the Sunday Footy show even said he can't remember the last time he was so excited to watch a Bulldogs team play. Anasta and Ennis felt that this is the Bulldogs they both know.

But with Gus deciding to go with Ciraldo as coach and Potter as assistant, I'd give Ciraldo the benefit of the doubt to see what he can do to improve on from last season and so far, he has done nothing to improve, in fact, I think we have gone backwards under Ciraldo and again we've gone back to trying to play the Panthers system and with the way how the players are playing, it just looks so forced. It just looks like we have an identity crisis trying to be the Penrith Panthers in every way. To me it doesn't feel like the Bulldogs club I know, every week, every season since 2016, it's a cycle of the same shit and they've become a team that I don't recognise anymore.

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those who supported the Bulldogs through the 80s, 90s, 00s and early 2010s would know that after having a bad season, the Bulldogs will bounce back immediately the next season. Either in the grand final or as Grand Final winner. You'd watch the team play with pride, passion, aggression and never take back foot step.

We would use to bash teams through the middle, playing entertaining football and teams use to fear and hate playing against us. The Dogs of War and the Entertainers.

But it just seems we have lost that identity towards the end of Dessie's reign as coach when he became the mad professor by being obsessed with Stats, numbers and metrics and we just became a very stale, boring and very predictable team to watch under Dessie. And since Dessie's sacking, we opted for assistant coaches like Dean Pay (to be fair he was given the rough end of the deal with a farked salary cap and a very unbalanced team and C-virus didn't help either), Trent Barrett and now Cameron Ciraldo.

When Barrett got the sack (despite what Gus says) and Potter took over as coach on the interim, it took Potter a few weeks to get the Barrett's Panthers system out of the players to play their game and when we played Parra last season and smashed them 36-6, it was like watching the Bulldogs of the early 2000s under Steve Folkes, there was that passion, pride, enthusiasm, confidence and aggression that we have lacked for so many years, we were bashing teams through the middle with our forwards and playing entertaining football. I remembered seeing Cooper Cronk on Fox League getting very excited to watch the Bulldogs play and he said he hasn't seen this kind of football from the Bulldogs since early in his career. Andrew Johns on the Sunday Footy show even said he can't remember the last time he was so excited to watch a Bulldogs team play. Anasta and Ennis felt that this is the Bulldogs they both know.

But with Gus deciding to go with Ciraldo as coach and Potter as assistant, I'd give Ciraldo the benefit of the doubt to see what he can do to improve on from last season and so far, he has done nothing to improve, in fact, I think we have gone backwards under Ciraldo and again we've gone back to trying to play the Panthers system and with the way how the players are playing, it just looks so forced. It just looks like we have an identity crisis trying to be the Penrith Panthers in every way. To me it doesn't feel like the Bulldogs club I know, every week, every season since 2016, it's a cycle of the same shit and they've become a team that I don't recognise anymore.
Uleh, that was 40 years ago.
The game has changed. All teams have. The game changed alot even three years ago.
You cant have an 'identity' unless you have a nucleus of players with some unique asset.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
In my opinion the identity or 'style' of the team starts with the coach. The top coaches will adapt and let their star players take on more control and play what's in front of them. Also signing highly influential players like Adam Reynolds will change the style of a team, he is basically an on field coach like a Cameron Smith.

If you don't have the cattle you have to be extremely disciplined and hardworking side.

Storm are the perfect example this season. They've had multiple games where they have gone away from their style. They've leaked points to Titans & Cowboys. The difference is Bellamy can put a rocket up his team. The top coaches can re-focus the team and get them 'up' for the following week after a "putrid" performance.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Bulldogs / Doggies / Doggies bro

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score

Don’t think we have an identity that is relevant anymore. As a club we have missed out on generating talent in key positions since 2006. We are a stubborn club and have resisted change forever. It’s time to move on. The game evolves every three years. We fell over the line in 2004. Our last dominant gf win was in 1995. We should have been premiers in 2006 but got smashed by brisbane in the semi. This seems to be changing now. We have always been a team that works hard. Working hard these days can now mean getting flogged. Most teams can beat you on their day. It’s not enough to have a hard working pack with an average backline. You can’t coach flair and skill. Every team needs this to excel.

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our on field identity is overpaid, underperforming softcocks.

And our increasingly woke off field antics are only accelerating that identity

I’m actually warming to the thugs and cheats like xerri joining the club to shake things up a bit

Lost Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It all starts with the head coach imo.The coach must decide the type of play will be executed. Over the years I have witnessed how some choose to play a textbook game in their opinion, works for success. The clever ones however look at the team that is standing in front of them and playing a style that could possibly stand a chance of victory.

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Losers. They couldn't even win a nrl game on playstation.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Too much emphasis on identity culture dna marketing and other rhetoric from corporation leadership gurus and TED talks.

It is a Rugby League football club - every ounce of intellect, experience and effort within the club should be about footy - how to find and develop players, improve skills attitude n fitness, respond to rule changes - the rest will follow.

Over the last decade the club has imho taken its "eye off the ball" and spends too much time trying to change things over which they have little control. Castles PC crusade was the start - does anyone seriously believe that knowing who lived and worked in the Canterbury area 100 years ago will improve the quality of a footy team.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Our identity used to be built on hard work and grit, we were always feared because we always played the game hard… even in Desball we were feared… enter the powder puff era of the last 5 years, we’re a laughing stock up front.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
No pride in the mighty blue and white these days, used to have loyalty to the club and WANT to be on the field playing for each other an the die hard fans and Fam, now it’s just useless plodders and imposters.. sad times !!! Has been for too long !!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Too much emphasis on identity culture dna marketing and other rhetoric from corporation leadership gurus and TED talks.

It is a Rugby League football club - every ounce of intellect, experience and effort within the club should be about footy - how to find and develop players, improve skills attitude n fitness, respond to rule changes - the rest will follow.

Over the last decade the club has imho taken its "eye off the ball" and spends too much time trying to change things over which they have little control. Castles PC crusade was the start - does anyone seriously believe that knowing who lived and worked in the Canterbury area 100 years ago will improve the quality of a footy team.
It may be possibly relevent only for the Rabbitohs history and their establishment 100 years ago but thats about it for modern day sports teams...and they only use it sparingly.

We need to up our standards and coach needs to follow thru with his threats...no matter the consequences, otherwise don't make statements that you are gonna find players who will follow your process and then pick them anyway.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You need multiple leaders who epitomise what it means to wear the jersey. James Graham and Josh Jackson come to mind recently.

You can sign over the hill veterans like Finucane because they set the standards at training and on the field.

Having pro senior players helps the whole team be accountable rather than everything being on the coach.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
When is the last time we saw a player given a spray by our own??

Graham blowing up at Mitch Brown over the dud off load!

Who is blowing up at TPJ with all his failed offloads??