What has happened to all the talent in the NRL?

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
10 out of the 17 players who ran out today played reserve grade at some point this year and those 6 that didn't (Jackson, Meaney, Averillo, Hoppa, JMK, Hetherington) would be playing reserve grade if they were playing for some other team)
Only Luke Thompson would be a certainty to get a run in FG.

NRL is multi million dollar industry but how can they send out a reserve grade team like that in this day and age? You won't see that in any other code.

What has happened to all the talent? Are they taking up other sports? Is it because it has traditionally been a Anglo Saxon Blue collar sport who have now moved up classes and probably get their kids to take up other sports associated with those classes, which has lowered participation numbers ? Anyone with a theory?

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My personal opinion is that whilst Australia likes to think itself on par with many of the bigger nations in regards to sport, truth is we have a relative small population and we have a variety of footy codes (and other sports) all trying to compete for top level status, and we don't have the cattle to spread around all the codes. I don't have any real stats or anything, but from what I see in general and with hanging out with my nieces and nephews, they just aren't into sport as previous generations. Also, when I walk around shopping centres etc, I rarely see anyone wearing NRl mech. It generally is US or Euro sports stuff. Even then, it mostly always is a brand/fashion thing as opposed to someone who actually follows or knows anything about that team.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
My personal opinion is that whilst Australia likes to think itself on par with many of the bigger nations in regards to sport, truth is we have a relative small population and we have a variety of footy codes (and other sports) all trying to compete for top level status, and we don't have the cattle to spread around all the codes. I don't have any real stats or anything, but from what I see in general and with hanging out with my nieces and nephews, they just aren't into sport as previous generations. Also, when I walk around shopping centres etc, I rarely see anyone wearing NRl mech. It generally is US or Euro sports stuff. Even then, it mostly always is a brand/fashion thing as opposed to someone who actually follows or knows anything about that team.
Agree mate. Different world.
Many young people don’t drink today, which is their choice but in the past part of the culture was beers at the pub watching the footy (if you weren’t at the game). Hardly see any merch being worn anymore and years ago when I’d wear Bulldogs kit guaranteed at least one person would say ‘Go the Dogs’ when I was out and about. Now - almost never - and I don’t think that’s purely a reflection of the Dogs struggling - it’s that young people have entertainment at their fingertips with TikTok, Snapchat and Netflix (among many flavours) and rugby league is just another option competing for share of time and wallet which 20 years ago was unheard of. In my view a shame, but I’m part of the old school and every generation scorns the next.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
10 out of the 17 players who ran out today played reserve grade at some point this year and those 6 that didn't (Jackson, Meaney, Averillo, Hoppa, JMK, Hetherington) would be playing reserve grade if they were playing for some other team)

NRL is multi million dollar industry but how can they send out a reserve grade team like that in this day and age? You won't see that in any other code.

What has happened to all the talent? Are they taking up other sports? Is it because it has traditionally been a Anglo Saxon Blue collar sport who have now moved up classes and probably get their kids to take up other sports associated with those classes, which has lowered participation numbers ? Anyone with a theory?
Great question to consider.
You listen to great players and the lengths they went to in their own time to be the best they could be. eg kicking after training.
What about work ethic? blokes use to work for a living. They had to fulfill a day job, then play for their jersey for peanuts.
Then there's making these blokes into roll models and tv stars. You see the tv shit/promo garbage these blokes have to do before seasons kick off. The pretty boy shit like they are immortal men. Probably go home and play xbox and read up on social media status afterwards.
No biff, no consequences?
I think its many things. Change is inevitable.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I was thinking a few things. 1. there a re a lot more things for kids to do rather than go & have a kick at the local oval / yard. 2. More night games than ever before. This is worse for AFL because games go longer & kids can't stay up so late, but if you get kids young like 5 or 6 you are more able to brain wash them into liking the sport. If you wait until they are in their teens they are less susceptible. 3. More other sports as competition & American sports are being pushed onto kids instead. 4. Not enough incentive for clubs to develop kids. Why would they? Look at the Roosters, develop some, but most are identified early at other clubs & brought over. 5. Perhaps concussion fears from mums. 6. Do they have weight divisions or are they age groups? Have the islander kids (size) scared the Anglos & others away? 7. Has the AFL gone into schools far more than the NRL & put more money into development in "foreign" states?

I used to go down to the local oval every day after school & on weekends to kick the footy or play in the back yard. I don't see any kids playing on the ovals any more.

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The nrl is a dying sport, let's face it.

I give it another decade before it's what the a league is now.

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking a few things. 1. there a re a lot more things for kids to do rather than go & have a kick at the local oval / yard. 2. More night games than ever before. This is worse for AFL because games go longer & kids can't stay up so late, but if you get kids young like 5 or 6 you are more able to brain wash them into liking the sport. If you wait until they are in their teens they are less susceptible. 3. More other sports as competition & American sports are being pushed onto kids instead. 4. Not enough incentive for clubs to develop kids. Why would they? Look at the Roosters, develop some, but most are identified early at other clubs & brought over. 5. Perhaps concussion fears from mums. 6. Do they have weight divisions or are they age groups? Have the islander kids (size) scared the Anglos & others away? 7. Has the AFL gone into schools far more than the NRL & put more money into development in "foreign" states?

I used to go down to the local oval every day after school & on weekends to kick the footy or play in the back yard. I don't see any kids playing on the ovals any more.
I live across the rd from a park always kids there trouble is they aint playing footy its either basketball or kicking a soccer ball round

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice Thread BTW Moedogg, the simple answer is that the new and continually changing rules has made the genuine footballers redundant, and the game is now only suitable for the few top athletes, and by a few I mean very few.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score

Nasheed here,
I’ll tell u why.
Australia is growing but it’s only firm Chinese and Indian and neither care about our game.
The historical owners of our game, the white aussies, are all bisexual now (of born after 1997) and havin surgery to look Korean and are in touch with their feelings so much they will cry at the beauty of Spring foliage.
The Lebs are in small numbers but see the above and abandon trying to fit in to the west and are just going into more religious extremism
The polys are still don’t their thing but they have very small numbers and the NRL have over invested in them. There is no more ceiling for improvement.
And, probably the biggest, there’s more sports now. AFL is in Sydney, soccer is occupying the wogs and real gangstas are dividing their time between league, union and MMA

A very short sharp TLDR version of this is that there’s more competition for a mallee piece of the pie and the athlete suffers

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What's more concerning is that a bunch of average punters can easily see this, yet VLandys wants to expand?

Another big issue is E-Sports. Global recognition, good pay and no real physical activity required. Kids play a lot of games and constantly watch Twitch or YouTube.

The next 5yrs is very sink or swim for the NRL.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Think there's a number of things at play here both at a grass roots sport level and also with the NRL competition.
NRL
- Current rules changing the game and aiding the lop sided scores
- Salary cap and TPAs etc is all a farce that is designed to make certain teams stronger
- Ownership of the game means the wrong people are making decisions not in the best interests of the game

Grass Roots:
- Sport is now professional and we're competing against countries with bigger populations
- Our population is not growing as quickly and relies on more immigration to get bigger
- There are now better pathways to bigger sports where much more money can be earnt
- These other sports are less likely to give you brain damage (especially with much more training now)
- AFL is a massive talent drain where many elite athletes never compete against international teams
- For our smaller population we're trying to compete at an elite level across too many sports
- Childrens' dietary habits have badly declined in the last 20-30 years resulting in many unfit kids never progressing through sport pathways
- Also with much smaller yards (or none at all) in cities and some regions, games like backyard footy are a thing of the past especially with less siblings too.

Last edited:

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's more concerning is that a bunch of average punters can easily see this, yet VLandys wants to expand?

Another big issue is E-Sports. Global recognition, good pay and no real physical activity required. Kids play a lot of games and constantly watch Twitch or YouTube.

The next 5yrs is very sink or swim for the NRL.
TBH I think the horse has already bolted.

Either the number of existing teams will need to come down via natural attrition or if they want to maintain a national competition identitly, they may have to eventually bring in an A-League style reboot where 1 or 2 teams are established in capital cities, 1 team per major regional city, plus 2 NZ teams.

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think the biggest reason kids leave the game or don't play anymore is obvious. Watch games from 80s and 90s and you don't need to be a rocket scientist to work out why.
80s and pre 80s heroes and alot of immortals would not be big and strong enough to cut it in the nrl today, it's also happens in union and it is happening in NFL also.

bulldog butch

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I look at it as the direction society is going in general.... Living in a small nsw country town it is so obvious.... Take for example the riverina, all the industry that can't get people to work in say fruit and vegetable picking for example have attracted a large migration of workers from many pacific Island nations, Indian, Chinese etc to the area.... The generations work ethic has been on the decline for years... So jobs are filled by people that have yet to adjust to this new lazy lifestyle.... Now you look at so many bush country rugby league clubs that have to prop up there club with islander players to be competitive or in some cases to field a team... Mines and shift work do stop a lot of people from playing sports, but each generation has less and less interest/incentive in playing rugby league for there home town..... The days of Bush clubs winning a comp with locals is all but over... To sum it up best is 'its not worth our time or effort to do that but we will pay you guys this much to do it for us".... Hope that makes sense......

bulldog butch

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
I’ll tell u why.
Australia is growing but it’s only firm Chinese and Indian and neither care about our game.
The historical owners of our game, the white aussies, are all bisexual now (of born after 1997) and havin surgery to look Korean and are in touch with their feelings so much they will cry at the beauty of Spring foliage.
The Lebs are in small numbers but see the above and abandon trying to fit in to the west and are just going into more religious extremism
The polys are still don’t their thing but they have very small numbers and the NRL have over invested in them. There is no more ceiling for improvement.
And, probably the biggest, there’s more sports now. AFL is in Sydney, soccer is occupying the wogs and real gangstas are dividing their time between league, union and MMA

A very short sharp TLDR version of this is that there’s more competition for a mallee piece of the pie and the athlete suffers
Nasheed, you have said a lot that I don't agree with over the years.... But a lot of stuff you say like this is bang on the money... Some of your theories are quiet intelligent...

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Out in western Sydney comps are very strong, only the strong survive penrith and parra junior comps both have high Pacific islander numbers migrating here to make nrl, The Aussie boys that keep going end up being very battle hardened and not intimidated and better for the experience most are spine players, where as the Pi boys enjoy running at smaller frames and alot seem to run softer into one another. Some up the antee a bit more come junior rep time, but alot grow and peak and get picked on size with no skill and are lazy, happens with big white kids also sometimes, this has been happening for along time and alot of good players Aussies and others give it away, knowing they have been ripped off a chance they deserve to further their passion playing. That's how you end up with big players in nrl and you say don't these players know how big they are look into a mirror.
But alot of these players get picked before the others reached their peak.
This is killing the game and nobody in league has the balls to say it is happening.
Matty johns mentioned it once but was muzzled. I fear it could one day ruin the game, tv viewing on decline. Maybe another nz team in nrl might help or it could make it worse.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree mate. Different world.
Many young people don’t drink today, which is their choice but in the past part of the culture was beers at the pub watching the footy (if you weren’t at the game). Hardly see any merch being worn anymore and years ago when I’d wear Bulldogs kit guaranteed at least one person would say ‘Go the Dogs’ when I was out and about. Now - almost never - and I don’t think that’s purely a reflection of the Dogs struggling - it’s that young people have entertainment at their fingertips with TikTok, Snapchat and Netflix (among many flavours) and rugby league is just another option competing for share of time and wallet which 20 years ago was unheard of. In my view a shame, but I’m part of the old school and every generation scorns the next.
I share your sentiments,it’s not unusual you go to a footy game today ,u see the kids on their iPhones,or at home spending countless hours on the digital media components,u ask a teenager today,to do some basic maths at work,and can’t manage it,without their phone,it’s not rugby league alone,but most sports.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Think there's a number of things at play here both at a grass roots sport level and also with the NRL competition.
NRL
- Current rules changing the game and aiding the lop sided scores
- Salary cap and TPAs etc is all a farce that is designed to make certain teams stronger
- Ownership of the game means the wrong people are making decisions not in the best interests of the game

Grass Roots:
- Sport is now professional and we're competing against countries with bigger populations
- Our population is not growing as quickly and relies on more immigration to get bigger
- There are now better pathways to bigger sports where much more money can be earnt
- These other sports are less likely to give you brain damage (especially with much more training now)
- AFL is a massive talent drain where many elite athletes never compete against international teams
- For our smaller population we're trying to compete at an elite level across too many sports
- Childrens' dietary habits have badly declined in the last 20-30 years resulting in many unfit kids never progressing through sport pathways
- Also with much smaller yards (or none at all) in cities and some regions, games like backyard footy are a thing of the past especially with less siblings too.
Don't omit the "mother factor" where mum's don't want their little boys playing against huge kids who are intent on hurting them.