What disappeared in society without people really noticing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I don't think home phones are disappearing. Everyone needs them for home internet... but some just use their mobile phones and data, but for me I use the home phone and sync the NBN with my TV, Mobile Phones, iPad and Laptop. If I have a gaming console that will also be something else I use it for. Far from useless for me - that's just me though.

The term colleague sounds very formal IMO - team mate suggests someone in the same team as you, more colloquial that colleague, but not gay.
They are gone.. everyones going mobile and there's no need for voice based landlines really.

Businesses just chuck it over VOIP these days.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mutual respect for each other as human beings, the smart ass mentality is too common, I even find it hard to respect most Police, good cop bad cop sure, but what the hell goes through their heads?

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don't think home phones are disappearing. Everyone needs them for home internet... but some just use their mobile phones and data, but for me I use the home phone and sync the NBN with my TV, Mobile Phones, iPad and Laptop. If I have a gaming console that will also be something else I use it for. Far from useless for me - that's just me though.

The term colleague sounds very formal IMO - team mate suggests someone in the same team as you, more colloquial that colleague, but not gay.
Team mate is gay. Unless you are a in a sports team.

And yes home phones are 100% disappearing, they probably won’t exist at all in 20 years. You don’t need a phone to have internet either. I have internet but not phone—just like most people... that’s right, MOST people don’t have a landline phone

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
They are gone.. everyones going mobile and there's no need for voice based landlines really.

Just an observation, but I don't think that people will lose the landline for the time being considering the NBN has just been rolled out. The phone companies such as Telstra, Optus etc... are now having deals that include unlimited calls and no phone line rent. I know I'm happy with the NBN (knock on wood, so far only had 1 hiccup which simply resulted in me pinning the reset at the back of the modem to jump-start the services again) and wouldn't want go to another service just yet. I'm able to download far too much than I can handle :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Wahesh

Reaction score

We use Skype for Business at work. Basically the computer does all the connection work but I still pick up a telephone receiver and speak through it.

The HD phone below is the ONLY connection to the outside. My laptop connects to the phone and that's how the data is transmitted. The is connection to a digital phone socket.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We use Skype for Business at work. Basically the computer does all the connection work but I still pick up a telephone receiver and speak through it.

The HD phone below is the ONLY connection to the outside. My laptop connects to the phone and that's how the data is transmitted. The is connection to a digital phone socket.
Must be working in an old school company, VOIP, don’t need a phone, just hook up headphones to laptop and you are good to go. I am guessing you still have a desktop pc though lol

Wahesh

Reaction score
Must be working in an old school company, VOIP, don’t need a phone, just hook up headphones to laptop and you are good to go. I am guessing you still have a desktop pc though lol
NSW Government - they like to keep abreast with current trends. That phone is a HD phone. It looks old but is actually fairly new, granted it's the older model. As mention I can speak over the headset/mic but I prefer receiver. We all have laptops with multiple monitors, they don't have desktops anymore. The few that we do have will all be replaced by laptops for flexible working/work from home etc...

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
NSW Government - they like to keep abreast with current trends. That phone is a HD phone. It looks old but is actually fairly new, granted it's the older model. As mention I can speak over the headset/mic but I prefer receiver. We all have laptops with multiple monitors, they don't have desktops anymore. The few that we do have will all be replaced by laptops for flexible working/work from home etc...
Okay well landlines phones are dying and u can’t deny that... look at the stats

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Team mate is gay. Unless you are a in a sports team.

And yes home phones are 100% disappearing, they probably won’t exist at all in 20 years. You don’t need a phone to have internet either. I have internet but not phone—just like most people... that’s right, MOST people don’t have a landline phone
The last survey I could find was one done in November 2016 (so a while ago), which revealded about 2/3 of people still have a landline.

Probably also depends on how one defines "landline". I have a landline number, but its done via voip (which I think is how a lot of home based business like mine do it).

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
-milk delivery to your house. Yes we used to leave milk bottles and money on the doorstep and nobody stole it!
That was one of my first jobs while i was in Highschool. I'd do the paper run of a morning before school then do the milk run in the arvo after school. It was a good way to keep up the fitness levels for Footy.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
I notice that the booths are gone, however the public phones without booths are still there. And they have the Telstra Air wifi on top of them:

View attachment 5854

- Yep. Video shops are mostly gone. There is only ONE Civic Video shop in Sydney, and that's Bondi. The Five Dock one closed a few weeks ago. I remember walking through the popcorn scented isles looking for good movie or video game for the weekend. Check out the video below when you have a few mins (Aussie dude)

- Newsagents are not very profitable anymore, newsstands on the other hand are good. Very low rent and expenses (if any) and they can be pretty mobile. Relay newsagents at the airports though I think are reasonably safe.

- I remember the milk man. Putting some silver coins in the milk bottle and having fresh milk the following day. Back then the milk was natural and would expire in 2 days. Nowadays with all the preservatives in it, they last 2 weeks rather than 2 days.

Video mentioned above:

Also back then Sydney had more farmland and paddocks so the milk didn't have to be transported too far to make it to customers!

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Mutual respect for each other as human beings, the smart ass mentality is too common, I even find it hard to respect most Police, good cop bad cop sure, but what the hell goes through their heads?
They need to stop recruiting scared little boys and girls into the force who still have mummy pack their lunch!

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
They need to stop recruiting scared little boys and girls into the force who still have mummy pack their lunch!
Yep I find it hard to respect some cops as well to be honest. Some of them are just dumb as mud, and think they don’t need to respect citizens. You also get ones with stupid haircuts and tatooos.. wtf is that about

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
How far forward have phones come?
The people who invented telephone would be horrified to see how we use them now.
Originally phones were made for quick calls, not to sit and scatter for others talking shit.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep I find it hard to respect some cops as well to be honest. Some of them are just dumb as mud, and think they don’t need to respect citizens. You also get ones with stupid haircuts and tatooos.. wtf is that about
Yeah most of the recruits into the force these days are dumb as dog shit.

I was walking home drunk minding my own business a few months ago and these cops jump out of their car and try making a scene with me about it, they were trying to bait me so they could arrest me.
Male and female and the male was more a scared timid bitch than the female!

I'm 6"7 in height so really they should of called half the station for backup to deal with me.
The little punk was so shit scared frightened of me, I was thinking to myself "why did you stop and get out of the car then"?

Before they could ask I pulled out my I.D to show them who I was.
I told them where I had been, what I was doing and where I was going and they still tried making a scene.

In the end I said "am I under arrest for anything?" They said "no".
I then snatched my license off them and said "good, now fuck off and leave me alone you stupid fucking cops" and just stormed away like a boss!

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
People who know how to drive.

Scratch that. That's something I have definitely noticed.

Some absolute fucktards on the road

Status
Not open for further replies.