What disappeared in society without people really noticing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
For instance telephone booths.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The term : girlfriend, boyfriend, wife, husband.
All replaced by “Partner” just cause we don’t upset Some certain types, and it shits me no end.
And when you call your work partner your partner people assume your having sexual relations

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Physical Keyboard on Phones. I know a lot of people still have them but it seems like only yesterday that I used to envy my mates qwerty BlackBerry keyboard.

Flip phone's- Don't see too many people with those.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
And when you call your work partner your partner people assume your having sexual relations
That's why I use the term colleague or team mate. Sure it sounds gay, but less gay than partner.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That's why I use the term colleague or team mate. Sure it sounds gay, but less gay than partner.
I am a fan of colleague
Also checked out the rooftop of the Primus last week, has good potential

Wahesh

Reaction score
I am a fan of colleague
Also checked out the rooftop of the Primus last week, has good potential
Yep. Corporate candy :hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:

You need to get there by say 4pm on a Friday to prevent being turned away/waiting in line (unless you have a reservation or guest list).

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The inter-office mail boys/girls..gone the way of the dodo..all office memos and correspondence mostly done electronically through email..

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
For instance telephone booths.
They used to be everywhere. Wonder what they did with all the booths lol.

Also rare these days or on the way out:

-video shops. When i was growing up they were the busiest business in most towns.
-newsagents. Now lotto and news is online u dont need them for much. Coles sells the other stuff they sell.
-milk delivery to your house. Yes we used to leave milk bottles and money on the doorstep and nobody stole it!

Wahesh

Reaction score
They used to be everywhere. Wonder what they did with all the booths lol.

Also rare these days or on the way out:

-video shops. When i was growing up they were the busiest business in most towns.
-newsagents. Now lotto and news is online u dont need them for much. Coles sells the other stuff they sell.
-milk delivery to your house. Yes we used to leave milk bottles and money on the doorstep and nobody stole it!
I notice that the booths are gone, however the public phones without booths are still there. And they have the Telstra Air wifi on top of them:

download.jpg

- Yep. Video shops are mostly gone. There is only ONE Civic Video shop in Sydney, and that's Bondi. The Five Dock one closed a few weeks ago. I remember walking through the popcorn scented isles looking for good movie or video game for the weekend. Check out the video below when you have a few mins (Aussie dude)

- Newsagents are not very profitable anymore, newsstands on the other hand are good. Very low rent and expenses (if any) and they can be pretty mobile. Relay newsagents at the airports though I think are reasonably safe.

- I remember the milk man. Putting some silver coins in the milk bottle and having fresh milk the following day. Back then the milk was natural and would expire in 2 days. Nowadays with all the preservatives in it, they last 2 weeks rather than 2 days.

Video mentioned above:

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The backwards version would be McDonald's. I never see them being built, they just show up one day.
Go to Wynyard station there’s one that has been under construction for ages.

Telephone booths have been converted to public wifi hotspots.

Regarding the words partner above.. girlfriend/boyfriend sounds immature, it’s high school lingo and technically every girl that is your friend can be your girlfriend. Partner is more official and is pretty much the step down from marriage. Shows that you are serious but not married or engaged (which would then be fiancé)

Home phones are disappearing, I grew up with one and always used it, now I don’t have one.

And I call my colleagues exactly that.
Is work partner even a term? Never heard of it... doesn’t really make sense either. Team mate sounds gay @Wahesh

Wahesh

Reaction score
Go to Wynyard station there’s one that has been under construction for ages.

Telephone booths have been converted to public wifi hotspots.

Regarding the words partner above.. girlfriend/boyfriend sounds immature, it’s high school lingo and technically every girl that is your friend can be your girlfriend. Partner is more official and is pretty much the step down from marriage. Shows that you are serious but not married or engaged (which would then be fiancé)

Home phones are disappearing, I grew up with one and always used it, now I don’t have one.

And I call my colleagues exactly that.
Is work partner even a term? Never heard of it... doesn’t really make sense either. Team mate sounds gay @Wahesh
I don't think home phones are disappearing. Everyone needs them for home internet... but some just use their mobile phones and data, but for me I use the home phone and sync the NBN with my TV, Mobile Phones, iPad and Laptop. If I have a gaming console that will also be something else I use it for. Far from useless for me - that's just me though.

The term colleague sounds very formal IMO - team mate suggests someone in the same team as you, more colloquial that colleague, but not gay.

Status
Not open for further replies.