What did people expect?

J_Cooper

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It doesn’t matter, all that matters is we played the worse game I’ve footy yesterday I’ve ever seen in years.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We are a laughing stock. Why is our club obsessed with DNA and signing inexperienced coaches?

Parra went down the same track of signing a rookie in Arthur about 10 years ago. They went through at least 3 years of shit and some spoons

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Manly are a good team; most experts have them top 8. Turbo stays fit, top 4. They’re a good footy team with a settled spine.
Manly will be luck to make the Top 10 this year. Pretty much full strength yesterday and still played fairly shit against us.

Any of the top 8 sides would have towelled them up on that performance yesterday.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If Bennett and Sheens finish above us it proves the whole rebuild is a myth.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is our halfback on the last, passing it then to our five eight, then to our second rower to kick? Why didn’t our five eight launch it?
I’m surprised I’ve seen this asked so many times. I thought it was obvious, Burton saw an opportunity to spread it wide. I recognised this as it happened. I very much doubt he thought Kikau would kick it. People criticise him for “not being a five eighth” yet when he sees an opportunity and it doesn’t work out, the same people want to throw him under the bus. It was a bad option but hindsight is 20/20. I’m not trying to sugar coat it, Burton had a shocker, but it doesn’t mean he is suddenly a bad player. He just had a shit day, but he was very much not alone! ’d only feed Mahoney, Kiraz, King and perhaps RFM and Perham. The rest simply didn’t contribute.

As for the gist of the OP, this is why I find most of the reactions going way overboard. Even before the game many people predicted a flogging lol. Then when it happens they act surprised? Like I said elsewhere, a lot went Manly’s way and not much went our’s. We also didn play well. It happens. Expecting a 10th to 8th finish this season may be optimistic, but a performance like yesterday doesn’t guarantee we ca’t still finish around there. It’s just ONE game.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Given injuries i didnt expect a win yesterday but i expected a competitive low mistake high energy performance

The effort performance of Burton Kikau JAC and Averillo were unacceptable
The club in November was short of fg middles and two that they had were injury and suspension prone so they purchase a cheer squad 33yo hb and a journey men hb/dummy half - i find that difficult to understand - Reynolds could be around the club n players on a second tier contract.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Expected the players to compete and wear the jersey with pride. It’s all I’ve ever wanted. If they had passion like Reed did for us in only his first game then I think we would be a lot mote positive. So negative comments or not it’s very much warranted!! We’ve put up with this shit as loyal fans for long enough. We want our club to shine.
Yeah this sticks in my craw. The effort he gave was so far above everyone else, I felt bad for him. If only half the team followed his lead, we would have done way better.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
i expected to see some improvement on previous years even if it was only minor improvement, but looking at yesterday's rabble there is no improvement at all, cant use the excuse its round 1 players have to gel
players have trained together for past 3 months, players still making dumb errors, players still cant tackle

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Truth hurts bro..

Oh and it was rookie coach too with Fcuk all experience in the side.

Even then we still had Manly on the ropes and they even buckled when they threw Trbo back on out of fear of a come back.

There is plenty to work on but plenty there to work with. Such a shame we got no props though.
What are you on about? Manly were in complete control of that game.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We all know that training well means sweet F all though. We hear it year in, year out. Thought the same under Baz. Oh they’re training the house down… comes to game day and they get flogged.

Seriously, we still have a very mediocre team. Any major injuries and we’re fucked. We can and will play a lot better than yesterday though.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Truth hurts bro..

Oh and it was rookie coach too with Fcuk all experience in the side.

Even then we still had Manly on the ropes and they even buckled when they threw Trbo back on out of fear of a come back.

There is plenty to work on but plenty there to work with. Such a shame we got no props though.
Manly did not throw Tom on because they were scared lol. We were okay from the most part during the first half but our forwards were let down by Burton continually fucking up and putting them under pressure. Attack was a joke and something I'm hugely concerned about, Mason talked up our right edge and they saw fuck all ball. Everything went left and it was a joke

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Manly did not throw Tom on because they were scared lol. We were okay from the most part during the first half but our forwards were let down by Burton continually fucking up and putting them under pressure. Attack was a joke and something I'm hugely concerned about, Mason talked up our right edge and they saw fuck all ball. Everything went left and it was a joke
Mason trash talked Hasler, he is a loud mouth know it all.

But he has DNA so it's all good!

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What are you on about? Manly were in complete control of that game.
Yeah and? You gonna say we werent in the fight at one stage? Even with a shit pack and a bad start we fought our way back into up until the sin bin.

We could have even gone 12-6 up if Averillo found Flannagan on the inside....

Doge

Kennel Established
Reaction score
They took Turbo off to rest him and only put him back on because they had a hia

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah nah they didnt but they were idiots for risking..

We were very disjointed which was a massive shame.. Even with Burton in no mans land we should have been cleaner in implementing the game plan.

All G on my end, i cant understand the context behind that loss, for those that cant then i feel sorry for you because you'll be tearing your hair out for a bit longer.

Last edited:

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don’t recall seeing where you called us for 23, so let’s hear it?