What’s the go with the price of push bikes? Ridiculous

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I walked past a bike shop in a shopping centre and stuck my head in.. I was gonna go uppercut the shop owner..

plenty of bikes were $2000-3000 and more with a few here and there under a $1000..

Do these people have bananas in their heads? Can go to Kmart or Amazon and grab a bike for $199, probably 95% as good as those bikes in that shop.

are these shop Owners taking the piss or what?

my theory is they grossly
Overprice all their bikes and leave a few under $1000… maybe they can jag a sale or someone thinks they will get a midpoint bike for $2000-3000? Then at the end of the day just move the prices around the place to see if they can snag a sale the next day.. all the bikes really cost them about the same

ridiculous someone would spend that sort of money on a push bike isn’t it?

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I walked past a bike shop in a shopping centre and stuck my head in.. I was gonna go uppercut the shop owner..

plenty of bikes were $2000-3000 and more with a few here and there under a $1000..

Do these people have bananas in their heads? Can go to Kmart or Amazon and grab a bike for $199, probably 95% as good as those bikes in that shop.

Overprice all their bikes and leave a few under $1000… maybe they can jag a sale or someone thinks they will get a midpoint bike for $2000-3000? Then at the end of the day just move the prices around the place to see if they can snag a sale the next day.. all the bikes really cost them about the same

You seem to have this incessant need to uppercut everyone. Think you need some help

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wait until you find out how much these poofs pay for their lycra that they wear to complement their overpriced bike

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

Boosty my man have I got a bike story for you.

There's this former friend who I used to work with. Her husband was a pro triathlete but even though he was a pro, it was more of a hobby. His fulltime job was a Police officer (in Europe). Anyway long story short, they got married and he decided to move here to be with her. She then started taking on the hobby as well doing the triathletes as well just as a hobby.

So she went bike shopping and he knew the ropes and got her to buy a bike with a carbon frame. Cost? $5000 - and that's Aussie dollars.

If you think that's bad...

In Europe, my dads mate showed us his bike. This guy does a similar thing, semi-professional bike riding just as a hobby. His bike was also a bike with a carbon frame, you could lift it up with your binky finger. This one however was the type of bikes they use on the tour de France, so really top-tier. Cost? £14,000. EUROS.

You could but yourself a car with that amount of money.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

A lot are overpriced, but a kmart one won't really take off road trails without falling apart.
I gots around $800 hardtail have kept up on people with $ 3000 bikes going uphill on trails, got to work a lot harder but part of the fun ( down hill forget about it i get whipped),had a few goes on the expensive bikes ,and they are pretty frigging good for a few extra grand though not for me I'm happy doing what I'm doing .

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Good I'm hoping apart from kids bikes they go up way more, like at least $20000 and add $1000 rego and insurance on top.
Can't stand the Greyhound men that rider racers on road.
Get on the footpath.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know a bloke who is a triathlete.. says his bike is worth $10,000.. he showed it to me and said look you can pick it up with one finger..

I was gonna whack him over the head with it.. instead of that I said to him that I’ll go to Kmart and get a $179 bike and I’ll power away from him… he laughed thinking I was joking …. I would power away from him with a Kmart bike

how can a bike be worth more than $200? A bit of tubular steel mass produced.. a tyre is a tyre and bit of padding on the seat

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
A lot of factors come into it. Different gear, brand if gear, weight of bike, materials it's made from and so forth.

I spent $4K on a Mountain Bike when I lived in NZ, and it was thrice the bike of my $1200 bike, which was twice the bike of a K-Mart bike.

Your not just buying a bike, it's the brand, the quality of materials and at the end of the day, it's your hobby.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know a bloke who is a triathlete.. says his bike is worth $10,000.. he showed it to me and said look you can pick it up with one finger..

I was gonna whack him over the head with it.. instead of that I said to him that I’ll go to Kmart and get a $179 bike and I’ll power away from him

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of factors come into it. Different gear, brand if gear, weight of bike, materials it's made from and so forth.

I spent $4K on a Mountain Bike when I lived in NZ, and it was thrice the bike of my $1200 bike, which was twice the bike of a K-Mart bike.

Your not just buying a bike, it's the brand, the quality of materials and at the end of the day, it's your hobby.
Of course there is different quality bikes but it’s a diminishing return.. I’d say a $10,000 bike is 50% better than a Kmart bike..

if I raced someone over 200 metres… would the $10,000 bike be much ahead? If at all it wins?

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I ride trails and downhill. My bike is cheap at 2500, average cost of a good dual suspension bike is easy 2-6k, then real good bikes go 10k plus.

Covid sent the prices of mountain bikes (downhill, dual, hard tails) through the fkn roof and they never really came back down.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
My bike costs more than my car

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score

Bro - all these threads you create seem like some sort of bastard child of Seinfield and Houso's.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

So what you're saying is that you got ripped off?

XPICATE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
what’s the go with push bikes on the actual road?

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
About 10 years ago I bout a carbon fibre road bike for $5.3k - as I was gonna get into riding.. crashed it in my driveway as soon as I hopped on it cause I didn't know how to unclip the shoes from the pedals- neighbours were pissing them selves.

Rode it about 6 times in 12 months in my flanno, footy shorts and bike shoes- it's hard walking up the hills with those shoes on while your pushing a bike.

Sold it for $3.5 k to some other poor sucker after my 6 rides.