Wetting the Line

• Thread starter Alexander the Great
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pier 2 has been on fire for squid bud.. have been pulling up some donkeys from there.
Always seem to strike out there.

Was given a tip the other day to use a paternoster rig when squiding there.

A

Alexander the Great

Always seem to strike out there.

Was given a tip the other day to use a paternoster rig when squiding there.
I see two guys cleaning up a fair bit with that rig... but i find it more fun to atually throw the jigs out about 10 metres or so and work them back.
Esepcailly if you get one that has a hit on it.

I bought 3 new yamashita Jigs the other day and have had not one squid on them yet..so much for new technology!

Eggino they are called

upload_2017-10-4_14-45-5.jpeg

pretty sure the ball bearings that rattle inside them are spooking the squid :rage:

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I see two guys cleaning up a fair bit with that rig... but i find it more fun to atually throw the jigs out about 10 metres or so and work them back.

I bought 3 new yamashita Jigs the other day and have had not one squid on them yet..so much for new technology!

Eggino they are called

View attachment 4018

pretty sure the ball bearings that rattle inside them are spooking the squid :rage:
Yeah Iv never tried rigging it like that. Was just told that because it's pretty deep water (12m Iv been told) that a jig on its own won't get down there.

My favourite jig that I've had for about 3 years now is a Yamashita red foil. Can't remember the exact name of it but it's a red foil but black jig, works amazing at night

A

Alexander the Great

Yeah Iv never tried rigging it like that. Was just told that because it's pretty deep water (12m Iv been told) that a jig on its own won't get down there.

My favourite jig that I've had for about 3 years now is a Yamashita red foil. Can't remember the exact name of it but it's a red foil but black jig, works amazing at night
You can slide a small ball sinker on before the jig..thats what i do and works a treat...

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Two days fishing with Fresh squid/pillies/mullett and a solid burley trail and nothing..... found a pretty nice gutter as well and nothing holding :(
Always next time i suppose..
If you're willing to walk. Curracurang around the corner from wottamolla in the NP, is unreal. Really deep water, within casting distance. I've caught a 75cm kingie there.
Otherwise, try the ovens (south whale beach). I've seen sailfish and dolphin fish caught off the rocks there. North whale is good for spinning too. Caught a couple of Mack tuna there last time.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Out at huntleys point tonight and struck out on squid.

Had a nice run on a yakka but spat it out

A

Alexander the Great

If you're willing to walk. Curracurang around the corner from wottamolla in the NP, is unreal. Really deep water, within casting distance. I've caught a 75cm kingie there.
Otherwise, try the ovens (south whale beach). I've seen sailfish and dolphin fish caught off the rocks there. North whale is good for spinning too. Caught a couple of Mack tuna there last time.
Ill definitely lool into these spots. Cheers bud

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ill definitely lool into these spots. Cheers bud
Curracurang is a good spot to spend a couple of days too. There's a big cave to sleep in and live bait (yakkas) on tap.

A

Alexander the Great

Curracurang is a good spot to spend a couple of days too. There's a big cave to sleep in and live bait (yakkas) on tap.
Lol ill pass on the cave dude...
Yakkas on tap sounds tempting tho.. have not been in luck to catch them lately.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gonna go another wharf tonight and give it a crack. There's yakkas everywhere ATM

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Your fucking nuts
He's adventurous. It's good to rough it occasionally and if you do some fishing at both dawn and dusk you often get some really lively fishing in. It's almost warm enough in my neck of the woods to do some camping again which I'm looking forwards to.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

Eggino they are called

View attachment 4018

They are bloody expensive those things (yamashita)... and by the sounds of things , not worth it... I haven't had any luck with squid lately.. actually no one that I know has landed many lately....

A

Alexander the Great

They are bloody expensive those things (yamashita)... and by the sounds of things , not worth it... I haven't had any luck with squid lately.. actually no one that I know has landed many lately....
Ive put the mock on myself ..went out tonight and not a single squid.. booo hoo.

The tackle shop up the road sells them 10bucks a pop which isn't so bad..

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ive put the mock on myself .. went out tonight and not a single squid.. booo hoo.

I normally get my squid jigs from the specials bin out the front of my local bait and tackle LOL.. they use to work just as good as the expensive ones ..??? don't know what's happened ???

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ive put the mock on myself ..went out tonight and not a single squid.. booo hoo.

I'm assuming you go to on duty in Merrylands?

I ended up landing 3 squid last night

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Anyone been fishing lately ? What's biting and where?

Status
Not open for further replies.