News Wests Tigers player refuses to train over perception of unfair treatment

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
New Wests Tigers coach Benji Marshall faces the first test of his career as one of his highest-paid players refuses to turn up to training over a perception of unfair treatment from the club.

Winger David Nofoaluma, a former teammate of Marshall and the greatest try-scorer in the club’s history, has not been to training since last Wednesday in response to what he claims is poor treatment from the club’s football department.
Nofoaluma has also lodged a complaint with the Rugby League Players’ Association over the conduct of the club.

A meeting between Nofoaluma, the RLPA and Wests Tigers was held on Thursday night.

Sources with knowledge of the situation talking under the condition of anonymity due to the confidential nature of discussions told this masthead that Nofoaluma’s gripe with the Tigers relates to how he has been treated at training.

Nofoaluma struggled physically and with his fitness levels upon returning to pre-season training last month and was one of the team’s least impressive performers in a time trial.

Marshall and his new-look coaching staff are trying to drive a new standard at the club and haven’t shown preferential treatment to the veteran winger.

Nofoaluma reached his limit last week and complained about the communication between him and the football department, as well as the training methods that have been adopted to try and improve his fitness.

At Thursday night’s meeting between the club and the RLPA, Nofoaluma agreed that he would return to training on Monday in an attempt to resolve the matter.

Nofoaluma, the RLPA and Wests Tigers have been contacted for comment.

Nofoaluma still has two more years to run on his deal with the Tigers at about $500,000 per season but has struggled to cement his place in the team recently.

The Tigers have been trying to offload the winger to a rival club for the past two years and even lent him to the Melbourne Storm at the end of 2022 as part of a loan deal for the final few games of the season and the finals series.

Nofoaluma has scored 100 tries from 192 games for the Tigers since his debut for the joint venture club in 2013.

His services have been offered to rival clubs on numerous occasions over the past two years but the Tigers haven’t been able to agree on the amount they would contribute as part of his release.

Nofoaluma has also attracted interest from the Super League.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hope this takes our issues out of media focus.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Some players are soft cocks these days.

Threaten them with no train no pay & watch them train the house down.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What’s with players complaining about methods of training. I wonder if they just whinge or actually offer up an alternative solution to there perceived problem.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Nofoluma has busted his arse for the Tigers. You can't really question his commitment apart from the last two seasons.

Comparing him to RFM doesn't make sense to me. Nofo has been one of their best performers and his form has dipped last two seasons, RFM has been a dud-buy from the start.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
There was never an issue with Topine's fitness.
Must have been attitude then because he walked a lot on the field at the games I went to. But I’m only a fan I’m not at training very week.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Tiger ruined his career not letting him stay with Storm

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Must have been attitude then because he walked a lot on the field at the games I went to. But I’m only a fan I’m not at training very week.
So now we’ve gone from ‘what I’ve heard’ to ‘knowing’ and frothing over ‘the truth coming out’. The truth is Topine could barely crack NRL in a team riddled by injury and having little depth. But yeah, it’s Ciro’s fault - like it was Baz’ fault for his harsh ‘hooking then getting Flange to front the media’. These men are highly paid professional athletes. If you can’t stand the heat…

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Nofoaluma has wanted out for years now, so this might be a tactic to try and get an early release.. Like others have said, I doubt the media will obsess over this story for three weeks straight like they did with RFM..

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Tiger ruined his career not letting him stay with Storm
The storm didn’t want him to stay or couldn’t afford to

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
All players walk on field. Puffer fish Mahoney spends 35 per cent of every game walking and the rest standing stationary lololol