Warning for Optus customers

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Best to turn on all purchase alerts on your accounts, reduce daily limit, and email address for notification.

However your personal information can be used to obtain credit. And this is impossible to stop.
Not really. Just sign up with equifax and you’ll be alerted when someone is using your details to get a loan/credit. It even tells you which bank the application was made at and you can call up and stop it. In this day and age everybody should have this annual membership. I thought everybody had this.

EL Hefe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not really. Just sign up with equifax and you’ll be alerted when someone is using your details to get a loan/credit. It even tells you which bank the application was made at and you can call up and stop it. In this day and age everybody should have this annual membership. I thought everybody had this.
If you have been impacted by Optus, they will pay for a 12month subscription on your behalf to monitor your credit profile

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Isn't that about $15 per month?

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear you someone stole my details and ordered a flesh light from one of them sex stores and they even sent it to my address.
The the bastards.......:|
So.....
Given the option to keep it or get a refund, which are going with?

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Isn't that about $15 per month?
There’s different packages. I pay $90 a year. But I’ve had it for years.
It’s actually a small price to pay for that kind of protection when you compare it to how much Australians pay to protect their homes and their cars via insurance.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Did you really think everybody had this? Lol. Most people don’t even understand credit scores.

Financial bodies should do more to verify identity.

You can wipe false applications from your record after they’ve been processed (successful or not).

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If anyone has had their ID compromised and needs help/guidance, call up the IDCare organisation. They can run through all the steps you should take.

OP could pop this in the first post.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
There’s different packages. I pay $90 a year. But I’ve had it for years.
It’s actually a small price to pay for that kind of protection when you compare it to how much Australians pay to protect their homes and their cars via insurance.
Yeah, seems like a good deal. I'm just more worried about people who can't afford it. But it sounds like Optus are covering it for a year.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So i did some scouring this morning and found the 10,000 records released..not good.

I found the post on the dark web, they say they will release 10k records a day for 4 days then they may release the lot or its just a negotiation tactic

Trevor long has a summary but see here out of the 10,000 records released....

Perhaps most worrying is the personal data involved. We knew passports and Drivers Licences were included, but it appears now also Medicare card details are also in the data.

Our search shows 261 instances of Passport Data, 3246 Drivers Licence numbers and 55 Medicare numbers.

Extrapolated out to the entire data set, that means 261,000 Passport numbers, 3.2 million Drivers licences and 55,000 Medicare numbers.

Thats worst case scenario - that the entire 9.8 million customer base was all taken.

Is this site accurate to see if your data has been breached? https://haveibeenpwned.com/
this is good for known data breaches. The data hasn't been released publically, yet, besides the 10k records released today.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Is this site accurate to see if your data has been breached? https://haveibeenpwned.com/
Yep. That's the best one for data breaches. Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge also have good data breach stuff but that's only if you store your passwords on their password managers. The bonus of them is that they'll tell you which of your passwords have been breached.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Cheers. How far does the data hacked from Optus go back? If someone left Optus 5-6 years ago would Optus still have their data?