Warning for Optus customers

EL Hefe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Customers should be able to have their credit profile monitored / blocked at Optus' expense on an ongoing basis

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do
Be interesting to see how the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner handle this one.

Whilst not a data leak, credentials were still stored in an inproper (plain text) way, which has allowed them to be siphoned out via a cyber attack. How that attack occurred is a completely different story altogether.

But (what the OAIC class as) "personal and private information", should ALWAYS be encrypted in some fashion, or scrubbed after it is used.

I'd imagine theres going to be a rather large fine coming Optus's way for inproper handling of customer information. Data like that should be WAY back in Optus's systems, and not accessible by way of a systems breach on the edge of their network.

I'd find it hard to imagine that someones hacked all the way to a several DMZ / firewalled deep server housing customer information, and likewise I highly doubt it's been a hack that's happened from a store.

For examples sake with Centrelinks systems (EssWeb), they actually cannot be accessed except if connected to via a totally secure network. So you can't use free or shared Wifi to connect to it.
Don't be surprised if Optus has subcontracted out the Information Storage to a small and cheap 3rd party....

Having said that...the OAIC will come down hard on them even if they did, as that is even more stupid.

EL Hefe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do
Don't be surprised if Optus has subcontracted out the Information Storage to a small and cheap 3rd party....

Having said that...the OAIC will come down hard on them even if they did, as that is even more stupid.
It will also depend on if Optus have done a risk assessment on their third party vendors and how they store and access customer PII data. Sounds like due diligence and the BCP practices were not up to scratch

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got a text message from Optus telling they haven't been able to complete my direct debit payment.

It's probably because the fvckwits allowed my personal data to be hacked, and they've changed my CC details. Bloody morons.

Now I don't know who to trust... the text message that could be from hackers.... or Optus trying to warn me...

I'm fvcked either way.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Just got a text message from Optus telling they haven't been able to complete my direct debit payment.

It's probably because the fvckwits allowed my personal data to be hacked, and they've changed my CC details. Bloody morons.

Now I don't know who to trust... the text message that could be from hackers.... or Optus trying to warn me...

I'm fvcked either way.
That was one of the type of texts to be wary of. Does it matter if you let unpaid? DD play out and not respond?

Anyone heard about the so-called ramsome demand? Confirmed fake or legit?

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

I'm fvcked either way.
Ring Optus up & ask if it was them.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
My card got jacked a few months back and it's never even left the house. Only ever pay with PayPal online or with my mobile in store. So yh you Optus guys are pretty fucked if that much information got out

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
My card got jacked a few months back and it's never even left the house. Only ever pay with PayPal online or with my mobile in store. So yh you Optus guys are pretty fucked if that much information got out
I hear you someone stole my details and ordered a flesh light from one of them sex stores and they even sent it to my address.
The the bastards.......:|

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Raises my anxiety knowing this has happened. Remember when you had a right to privacy? Fuckin idiots.