Opinion Wakeham

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wakeham might be the answer but that certainly doesn’t mean Lewis is either.
If I had to choose one of the two to persist with it would still be wakeham over Lewis.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
How do you know that? Did Sherwin jump out when he started playing and look the goods? No chance he did. He pushed himself and tried things, and eventually worked out what did work. Wakeham very much plays like Sherwin did. And with Sherwin in his ear at training, that's not surprising. I think he can be a well above average half, who tries his heart out. And heart is one thing that is hard to make. You don't want a pea heart like Mitchell Pierce who goes missing when the game is on the line.

It's the same reason a lot of us loved Reynolds, didn't have the talent of most 5/8ths. But he played his guts out, and at times made a lot of them look like fools.
Wakeham hasn't got it mate, or hasn't got it in sufficient quantity or quality to take this anywhere near we want them.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would have Averillo in rather than Wakham
But that's just me.
I'd even have Cogger
Yeah I would like to see Averillo in too but I can’t see Pay doing it. Get Foran playing a more traditional halfback role organising things and let Jake chime in when he wants.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree and if there was no improvement in Wakeham I’d try Averillo.
Does Averillo have a kicking game? If so throw him in now.. I haven't really seen any of his junior footy..

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Does Averillo have a kicking game? If so throw him in now.. I haven't really seen any of his junior footy..
He’s got a great short kicking game but could struggle a bit with long kicks. He’s played plenty of his juniors in the halves.

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
How do you know that? Did Sherwin jump out when he started playing and look the goods? No chance he did. He pushed himself and tried things, and eventually worked out what did work. Wakeham very much plays like Sherwin did. And with Sherwin in his ear at training, that's not surprising. I think he can be a well above average half, who tries his heart out. And heart is one thing that is hard to make. You don't want a pea heart like Mitchell Pierce who goes missing when the game is on the line.

It's the same reason a lot of us loved Reynolds, didn't have the talent of most 5/8ths. But he played his guts out, and at times made a lot of them look like fools.

Wakeham is in the Grand final with Reynolds as of two of the biggest pretenders ever to play for Canterbuty..
Both talentless

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Ok.
So a few weeks have passed now. And I have to say he is shit.
Has a shit haircut
Has no creativity
No foresight
No footy brains.
And is not and will never be an NRL standard halfback.
I am not, and will not be a fan of Wakham.

Having watched footy for 40 years I have seen some amazing halfbacks come and go.

Wakham is out of his depth and would not get a start at any other club.

Cogger and Lewis are not world beaters either
But are better options right now.

I think we really need to find a decent halfback external.

Our options available are not the answer.
Amen brother!!!
I said almost exactly the same and copped shit.
Like you I live & breath & have watched rugby league for 41 years.
If he is going to be any good, we would all know by now.

Last edited:

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
are you a true dogs fan or a doomsdayer??
work in progress..better than lewis..he will learn from foran
The post was from the day after, so he didn’t actually show anything that night because no one played haha.

He was good last week, and this week the whole team was bad, so I don’t really blame him, especially with only 8 games experience.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
All anyone was ever saying was give Wakeham a shot and let's see what he has.

Well he's had some good moments here and there but he's not been up to the task and doesn't look like a FG half right now.

Then again, neither is Lewis. Neither Wakeham, Lewis or Cogger are the answer so they need to recruit at least two halves for next season.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
He’s got a great short kicking game but could struggle a bit with long kicks. He’s played plenty of his juniors in the halves.
I feel that Foran's dodgy hamstrings are dictating who his partner is and the reason Lewis got first crack. He clearly got the longest kick off all the halves.. probably explains why cogger hasn't had a shot also.. just a guess ...

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I feel that Foran's dodgy hamstrings are dictating who his partner is and the reason Lewis got first crack. He clearly got the longest kick off all the halves.. probably explains why cogger hasn't had a shot also.. just a guess ...
Yeah I think Forans hamstrings play a big role in that too. A long kicking game doesn’t really matter with this team anyway even when we do manage to pin a team down in their end they still end up making 60-70 metres on that set.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
All anyone was ever saying was give Wakeham a shot and let's see what he has.

Well he's had some good moments here and there but he's not been up to the task and doesn't look like a FG half right now.

Then again, neither is Lewis. Neither Wakeham, Lewis or Cogger are the answer so they need to recruit at least two halves for next season.
Definitely need a quality 9 & 7 for next season.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
He’s shit and ya heart knows it ,fuck him off and let’s get a true half or we’ll be on the bottom next year he’s got ya bluffed
He still is better than princess and yeah he is looking like another pay dud. Would like to see him play in a good team but that won't be us.

I've been saying it for years, we need a spine starting from a hooker to halves to fullback.

PS how did he bluff me? I never said he is our saviour, just that he is a better option than Lewis.

Just because he is less shit than Lewis doesn't make him good.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
He was poor tonight and played behind a well beaten pack. He should be given the same chance Lewis had. I feel he tries to hard and overplays his hand. The 1st half against the rabbits showed real promise.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Most people like Wakeham because hes a local junior.. but he just iant ready to lead an NRL side around.. Needs more time in reserves to develop..