Opinion Wakeham

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
By the way, what ever happened to IndianDog?
I remember him getting banned and never came back haha. Can't face the truth of Lewis being poo poo
He thought the sun shined out of Lewis' you know where....:tearsofjoy:
Yep agreed but I did read the tigers were looking at Foran .

Another option is Burton from Penrith at 5/8th and Averillo at fullback . Again though this would be a young spine

Interesting to see what the club does . Ideally you want to build for the future but we will miss the semis for the 4th straight year in 2020 so short term success is also vital at the moment
1. Averillo
6. Burton
7. Wakeham
9. B.Smith /
Is my preferred spine.
If Averillo nailed fullback which I think will end up his position, then with DWZ and Smith on the wings and Hoppa in the centres we could just sign Cotric to pair with him or better still Kotoni Staggs.. Wakes and the 6 million dollar cripple and we have a pretty handy back line.8-)
Agree. I like Cotric, but recently have become very wary of his signing with Alomati and Schoupp in our lower grades. We need a solid older option there who is easily moved on when the young fellas are ready

Last edited:

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Averillo
6. Burton
7. Wakeham
9. B.Smith /
Is my preferred spine.

Agree. I like Cotric, but recently have become very wary of his signing with Alomati and Schoupp in our lower grades. We need a solid older option there who is easily moved on when the young fellas are ready
B.Smith is an interesting one. Melbourne obviously dont see him as a hooker because even if C.Smith retires Harry Grant is their number 9

He also cant get a spot at 13 because Finucane is there

So he could be an option at either 9 or 13. I am thinking he is more of a 13 these days

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
B.Smith is an interesting one. Melbourne obviously dont see him as a hooker because even if C.Smith retires Harry Grant is their number 9

He also cant get a spot at 13 because Finucane is there

So he could be an option at either 9 or 13. I am thinking he is more of a 13 these days
Agree about him being a 13 and just picking his moments to dart from hooker to provide some variation in attack. For overall balance to our side Grant would be better, but I don't see him as a realistic signing given we are essentially his 3rd option

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Who cares Wakeham can be half as good as Thurston and cut out a good career
agree, but if he was even half as good as Thurston we would already know by now. I have nothing against Wakeham, but he isn't going to be a top quality NRL halfback so what's the point.
The club desperately needs to go to the market and find a quality 9 & 7.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
If we sign a quality hooker next year I would happy enough with a spine of Hopoate/Averillo/Wakeham/Top Hooker.

There would be enough creativity with the hooker and Hoppa so the halves wouldnt be 100% responsible for the attack. I think its going to be tough to sign both a gun half and a gun hooker because the options are pretty thin. And we should prioritise the hooker because thats where we are lacking.

The other option is to re-sign Foran for 12 months and give Wakeham another year under him. Averillo stays in the centres and then plays in the halves when Foran is injured (which will probably be half the year)
We can't re-sign Foran, just no way. We simply have to find a better solution. The temptation is always going to be there with Foran...but fmd he just physically can't do enough on the field on a week to week basis.

I'm struggling to come up with a genuine solution a this point though, we've missed the boat on a lot of key players and will now be relying on contracted players getting a release.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
We can't re-sign Foran, just no way. We simply have to find a better solution. The temptation is always going to be there with Foran...but fmd he just physically can't do enough on the field on a week to week basis.

I'm struggling to come up with a genuine solution a this point though, we've missed the boat on a lot of key players and will now be relying on contracted players getting a release.
Josh reynolds?

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yep that’s the problem , the playmaker market is bare and clubs know this so they are doing everything to keep the ones they have . We have a big decision about Wakeham. If he is our long term halfback then stick with him and get a good number 9 to help him .

Apart from Foran at 6 the other option is Matt Burton from Penrith

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
You are spot on about his running game - he would impress more obviously if he had a better running game - however his general decision making, passing and kicking game has been exceptional in jun rep footy. Players tend to stand out n get noticed often make the two or three good runs a game - even if they do nothing else - the player who creates the space originally, or gets the side into good field position doesn't get the same kudos.

Jun footy is full of players who will make a big charge or run because a gap or space has been created for them - they get noticed in highlight reels.
That's the way I see Wakeham, defenitely get the impression that he's more comfortable floating either side of the ruck, pushing players where he wants them and then positioning himself and chiming in when the opportunity presents itself. I also like how he can quickly change the tempo and back up multiple plays, tried to do it a few times but JMK ignored him lol.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yep that’s the problem , the playmaker market is bare and clubs know this so they are doing everything to keep the ones they have . We have a big decision about Wakeham. If he is our long term halfback then stick with him and get a good number 9 to help him .

Apart from Foran at 6 the other option is Matt Burton from Penrith
Yh this is why I was keen on Friend, pretty much one of the few remaining options that are genuinely good. His experience would be massive and he would give us a year or two of time to get the longterm hooking position sorted.

Hastings is another option and has been rumoured..halves of Hastings, Wakeham...Averillo fullback?? Still need a hooker though :tearsofjoy:

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yh this is why I was keen on Friend, pretty much one of the few remaining options that are genuinely good. His experience would be massive and he would give us a year or two of time to get the longterm hooking position sorted.

Hastings is another option and has been rumoured..halves of Hastings, Wakeham...Averillo fullback?? Still need a hooker though :tearsofjoy:
Friend will never leave the rorters . Maybe Verrils might be the option. We haven’t had a decent hooker since Ennis.

Hopefully they get it right

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Friend will never leave the rorters . Maybe Verrils might be the option. We haven’t had a decent hooker since Ennis.

Hopefully they get it right
Verrills would be a massive signing.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way, what ever happened to IndianDog?

He thought the sun shined out of Lewis' you know where....:tearsofjoy:
Never had the pleasure to read Indian Dog's posts but would like to see his return as he sounds like a character.

Also where is Howard Moon & Wolfmother.

Awaiting their return or have I just missed their posts.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
so bump this thread for serious discussion about wakeham

Should not be dropped for lewis at all

Should be given the rest of the year to get proper 1st grade experience

Hes showed enough this game for us to see if he is a long term answer or not