News Waddell to thrive under Barrett

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He won't play Jackson on an edge, offers nothing there. And I doubt Ogden even makes the 17.
Hope you're right. Jackson kills the attack with his shocking passing and has no footwork, no opposition would worry if he was running at their 5/8 or centre combo.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We're all just guessing what Baz is thinking and it's possible what he's thinking right now is not what he goes with come round 1 or round 12 later in the season. We're also only two weeks into preseason so there's also that lol.

Personally I think Baz will favour a high tempo attack orientated 17 and having someone like Jackson on the edge probably goes against this. He just doesn't offer enough compared to someone like Elliott who is a little more slippery, runs a better line and is capable of a bit of ball playing (when he isn't making dumb decisions). Jackson right now is just better suited to the middle...he favours running back in behind the ruck, his PC metres are better through the middle and he can focus on getting quick play the balls and building momentum.
Yep as I said I don’t think Jackson has it as a backrower these days . But I don’t think Elliott does either. Does anyone recall him playing a good game on an edge ?? He has played in the middle for a while now.

It’s good to speculate though. He might roll out DWZ in the backrow. At least then we will be paying $650k for a backrower instead of a winger

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To start the season I think our backrow will / should be
11. Elliot (right edge)
12. Waddell (left edge)
13. Jackson
* Mariner benched to be used as a middle replacing Jackson
There’s no way rfm should be benched let alone used as a middle forward his strength is running lines on the edge. It should be:
11: elliott
12: RFM
13: Jackson

14: to’omaga
15: Ogden
16: Stimson/ Wadell
17: Katoa used as a middle replacement who can double as a hooker

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There’s no way rfm should be benched let alone used as a middle forward his strength is running lines on the edge. It should be:

I just remembered hetherington insert him wherever you want

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Napa, thompson and hethro will be in the team

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Agree, my team would be:

1: Averillo
2: DWZ
3: Cotric
4: Hopoate
5: Meaney
6: Wakeham
7: Flanagan
8: Thompson
9: JMK
10: To’omaga
11: RFM
12: Elliott

14: Hetherington
15: Napa
16: Wadell
17: Katoa/Ogden
Surely we get out of the bottom 4 with that team ffs......

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Surely we get out of the bottom 4 with that team ffs......
You’d think so. Certainly not a team full of world beaters but if guys like averillo DWZ can fire and wakeham and JMK can be competent we can take some steps towards a top 8 finish before a few More signings for next year

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Agree, my team would be:

Only thing id change after looking at it.

RFM to 10. Wadell to 11. Tomaga bench.

Apart from running a line, RFM didnt offer much else on the edge. He definately couldnt pass a ball putting his outside man (2021 Cotric) into space. Hard runner. Big motor. Middle for me

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only thing id change after looking at it.

RFM to 10. Wadell to 11. Tomaga bench.

Apart from running a line, RFM didnt offer much else on the edge. He definately couldnt pass a ball putting his outside man (2021 Cotric) into space. Hard runner. Big motor. Middle for me
Fair enough personally I disagree I think rfm is a better athlete and playmaker than you give him credit and in a team devoid of X factor he would be wasted taking 15 hit ups a game. Only change id consider would be hetherington starting over to’omaga. I would put a back row of rfm elliott and Jackson up there with one of the best in the comp

Apex Cedar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree, my team would be:

I would have:

1: Meaney
5: Okunbur
6: Avo
9: Wakeham
10: RFM
11: Waddell

15: Napa/Ogden
16: Toomaga
17: JMK/Stimson

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have:

1: Meaney
5: Okunbur
6: Avo
9: Wakeham
10: RFM
11: Waddell

15: Napa/Ogden
16: Toomaga
17: JMK/Stimson
I would have okunbor there too but didn’t include because of his injury and I don’t mind averillo in the halves less enthusiastic about wakeham at hooker and again hate rfm in the front row

True Blue

old dog
Reaction score
RFM will be there somewhere for sure, but we are building a quick team, a team that can score points.
RFM is a little lazy on his lateral defence, but I hope that better fitness and more competition in the backrow will bring out more in his game. A bit difficult for him, but he could fill a bench role to cover the back row and also at a pinch the front row under the way the game is currently played.

True Blue

old dog
Reaction score
I think barret will have us attacking with our defence aswell, he seems to be getting fast off the line defenders in hethrington wadell etc add in thompson jacko and the other boys and i think our defence will be good, aswell as trent was a great attacking player so his coaching is just what our team needs i havent felt this excited comming into a season in a decade atleast
I think that you are right there. The last few years our defence has been the "wait & let them come to us" approach plus a lot of arm tackles. I hope that the impact of one David Furner may be of significant value to the team. Positive aggressive defence combined with good positive attck.......one cautionary note however, is that it may take half the season for the team to actually fully gel as a unit.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep as I said I don’t think Jackson has it as a backrower these days . But I don’t think Elliott does either. Does anyone recall him playing a good game on an edge ?? He has played in the middle for a while now.

It’s good to speculate though. He might roll out DWZ in the backrow. At least then we will be paying $650k for a backrower instead of a winger
Unfortunately it's sad but true about JJ, he has busted his guts and virtually carried the team for some years, and now appears to be past it. I'm not a fan of Elliot either, Napa could fire 2021 been his contract year, but the truth is that we could be carrying 1, 2 or even3 plodders again this year by the looks of things.
For me I would start Thompson on the edge IMHO he would be much better suited their (when he is available of course), I would also play RFM on the other edge, probably JJ at 13, we have plenty of props.

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
Personally I would like to see RFM in the middle combination with hetherington, Thomo and ogden. I would like to see Waddell on an edge with dorey I can see that giving us something different in terms of super fast mobile pack. I would have this

8.Hethrrington
9.Katoa for first 20 then as an interchange forward if needed.
10. Thomo
11. Waddell
12.Doorey.
13.Eliiot/Jackson 40 min each as tackle machines in the middle.
14. Ogden
15. Renoulf
16.JMK
17. Stimpson or another backrower or as Katoa can play in the middle If needed RFM can cover injury on an edge and this can be open for another half until we settle on the combination.

Apex Cedar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally I would like to see RFM in the middle combination with hetherington, Thomo and ogden. I would like to see Waddell on an edge with dorey I can see that giving us something different in terms of super fast mobile pack. I would have this

8.Hethrrington
9.Katoa for first 20 then as an interchange forward if needed.
10. Thomo
11. Waddell
12.Doorey.
13.Eliiot/Jackson 40 min each as tackle machines in the middle.
14. Ogden
15. Renoulf
16.JMK
17. Stimpson or another backrower or as Katoa can play in the middle If needed RFM can cover injury on an edge and this can be open for another half until we settle on the combination.
All this talk of RFM and you don’t even put him in the side is he playing as half ? Centre maybe ? Come on hahahhaa

Dogs4eva13

Reaction score
All this talk of RFM and you don’t even put him in the side is he playing as half ? Centre maybe ? Come on hahahhaa
Yeah that's why the coaches get paid the big bucks... Fucked that one up.

Dogs4eva13

Reaction score
Yeah that's why the coaches get paid the big bucks... Fucked that one up.
Just like the idea of a really fast and mobile forward pack with Waddell, Dorrey and Hetherington all in the side. Not sure it will happen though barring injury.