v Merge trial @ Kogarah this Friday nite

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
I find it hilarious that Kogarah and Wollongong have had 15-30 million dollar upgrades each year to one of, if not both of these venues for nearly a decade and yet the capacity hasn't increased more than a little and the facilities are still primarily the same aside from a small grandstand here or there.

Yet in the meantime we struggled for years to get a few million for Belmore. As opposed to the well over $150 million combined that the two Saints' venues have recieved over the years where they have next to nothing to show for it considering you can build an entire state of the art 30,000 seat stadium for $300-500 million from scratch. Some builders and architects are doing well out of all of this.
Johnny Howard was a merge supporter from memory right?

Haza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
yeop still at the gong. i got confirmation from todd greenberg on twitter.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Johnny Howard was a merge supporter from memory right?
Yeah and all of the biggest politicians are too. That's why they got all of the support. Howard, Iemma, Carr, Greiner (I think), Latham and so on.

the Coyote

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah and all of the biggest politicians are too. That's why they got all of the support. Howard, Iemma, Carr, Greiner (I think), Latham and so on.
Carr??? ... he would turn up to an origin game in a corporate box with a book and sit at the back reading
it during the game..... he didn't have a sporting bone in his body the little weasel....

Yeah agree on everybody else.... the government has spent or is spending a sh$t load on WIN Wollongong
and Oki Choki in the last 10 years....

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
I find it hilarious that Kogarah and Wollongong have had 15-30 million dollar upgrades each year to one of, if not both of these venues for nearly a decade and yet the capacity hasn't increased more than a little and the facilities are still primarily the same aside from a small grandstand here or there.

Yet in the meantime we struggled for years to get a few million for Belmore. As opposed to the well over $150 million combined that the two Saints' venues have recieved over the years where they have next to nothing to show for it considering you can build an entire state of the art 30,000 seat stadium for $300-500 million from scratch. Some builders and architects are doing well out of all of this.
very well said man. tbh both stadiums are still below par.

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score

Not too sound like a know it all here, but you'd be surprised where the money can go

i.e Erosion and Sed alone can rack up in the millions without a visual improvement

as can, Drainage, Rehab to support structures, paint, electrical, plumbing, access, parking etc

and none of these can be seen from the stands

Just the electrical work on a stadium job can tender for 6-7 million plus

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Not too sound like a know it all here, but you'd be surprised where the money can go

i.e Erosion and Sed alone can rack up in the millions without a visual improvement

as can, Drainage, Rehab to support structures, paint, electrical, plumbing, access, parking etc

and none of these can be seen from the stands

Just the electrical work on a stadium job can tender for 6-7 million plus
Definitely fair enough champ but both stadiums get between 20-30 million every second year or every year and have done for over 7 years. So even taking all of that into consideration, and I'm sure you're right, they should still have a lot more to show for these hundreds of millions than slight grandstand extensions in stadiums that, which Costa said, are still even after all of this money well, well below par compared to most other stadiums.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
I reckon we can beat the Dragons at home with our young gun pack, but they wll need to respect the ref in Wollongong, the enthusiasm should see us through.

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
very well said man. tbh both stadiums are still below par.
Aww I like WIN in Wollongong, but there may be a "not having to drive for 3 hours each game" bias there. But that aside, it's the first ground I saw a game at and it freaked me that I could hear the hits. I dig how it has a decent hill there and with the new western grandstand I think it'll be quite a decent stadium. Parking will always be an issue cos someone thought it'd be a brilliant idea to build a sporting ground, then an entertainment centre next door and not put any parking in. They could simply have a park and shuttle service from JJ Kelly Park, but that'd require like, organisation and ****.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Aww I like WIN in Wollongong, but there may be a "not having to drive for 3 hours each game" bias there. But that aside, it's the first ground I saw a game at and it freaked me that I could hear the hits. I dig how it has a decent hill there and with the new western grandstand I think it'll be quite a decent stadium. Parking will always be an issue cos someone thought it'd be a brilliant idea to build a sporting ground, then an entertainment centre next door and not put any parking in. They could simply have a park and shuttle service from JJ Kelly Park, but that'd require like, organisation and ****.
Ground is good.
Hill is good.
Location is good.

Sausage rolls however .... worst in the fkn world !!!

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
Ground is good.
Hill is good.
Location is good.

Sausage rolls however .... worst in the fkn world !!!
Ha. Don't complain to a vegetarian about these things.

There's a Chickos across the road these days though. Dunno why anyone buys the stadium food tbh.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score

There's a Chickos across the road these days though. Dunno why anyone buys the stadium food tbh.
I'm anti-Maccas, and I put it down to being a tourist.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Chickos isn't Maccas!
I had one of those moments where about 5 retorts pop in your head all at once .... Now my head is mush - You win !

We should try and sneek in a sandwich platter one day :becky: ...

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
I had one of those moments where about 5 retorts pop in your head all at once .... Now my head is mush - You win !

We should try and sneek in a sandwich platter one day :becky: ...
I snuck a caramel mudcake into the Steelers Club once.

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
Definitely fair enough champ but both stadiums get between 20-30 million every second year or every year and have done for over 7 years. So even taking all of that into consideration, and I'm sure you're right, they should still have a lot more to show for these hundreds of millions than slight grandstand extensions in stadiums that, which Costa said, are still even after all of this money well, well below par compared to most other stadiums.
Indeed they should !!! 20-30 won't get you far, but I didn't read your post well enough ... 70-80 million will !!!

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
Well, 20-30 CAN get you far but it all depends on the issues

If the stadium doesnt reguire rehab, new wiring, paint, drainage etc ... then you'll see the stands etc

Hubdy

Bite Me
Reaction score

i was there same time last year couldn't take any fast food into the ground they have a no fast food policy so you cant take your
maccas, KFC, chickos, red rooster etc into the stadium you must eat it before entering the stadium packed sandwiches or rolls from home is ok go figure....?
at suncorp stadium you cant take your own drinks into the stadium the gaurds make you throw them away or drink them before going in....!
there all about making money now... not so long ago you were able to take a picnic basket and sit on the hill with friends and family i wonder
how many grounds would let you do that now.....?

Kratos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was there same time last year couldn't take any fast food into the ground they have a no fast food policy so you cant take your
maccas, KFC, chickos, red rooster etc into the stadium you must eat it before entering the stadium packed sandwiches or rolls from home is ok go figure....?
at suncorp stadium you cant take your own drinks into the stadium the gaurds make you throw them away or drink them before going in....!
there all about making money now... not so long ago you were able to take a picnic basket and sit on the hill with friends and family i wonder
how many grounds would let you do that now.....?
That is why ANZ and other stadiums pay clubs money to play at their grounds, so they can sell food/drink

Status
Not open for further replies.