Using exclamation mark (!) in a sentence - is this rude?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
When i learnt English punctuation , i was told to use exclamation mark when I want to shout or say it loud in a sentence.

These days when people use emails to communicate , when they use capital letters it is considered rude as it is considered as if the sender is shouting.... i couldnt find this rule in English grammar.

What about when people use exclamation mark at the end of a sentence in an email? is it considered rude just like when the person is shouting ?

OR

use of exclamation is done to emphasize the importance of the sentence?

confused non English speaker.

Last edited:

Legend23

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When i learnt English punctuation , i was told use exclamation mark when you want to shout or say it loud in a sentence.

These days when people use emails to communicate , when they use capital letters it is considered rude as it is considered as if the sender is shouting.... i couldnt find this rule in English grammar.

What about when people use exclamation mark at the end of a sentence in an email? is it considered rude just like when the person is shouting ?

OR

use of exclamation is done to emphasize the importance of the sentence?

confused non English speaker.

personally the bold is what i use a ! for

also as above i do use capitals in emails when someone has pissed me off and i feel like yelling it thru the computer screen at them

but as southy said who fukn knows

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Top of the muffin TO YOU!

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I would use an exclamation mark in THIS sentence and in THIS sentence.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
What a shit thread! lol

Na, it's not rude, it's what you put in front of it that's rude.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
What a shit thread! lol

Na, it's not rude, it's what you put in front of it that's rude.

na i just got an email on linked in from this recruiter asking me if i am interested in this role with another oil company or if i could recommend someone i know who would be suitable and interested . I already knew about this role cos my mate works in a senior position in that company and had already applied for this role. So I replied her back that what about my mate who has already applied for this role? she responded back

I am not sure what is happening with internal candidates - my job is to find external ones!! Cheers, Emily

Is she is making fun of my intelligence by putting exclamation marks at the end?

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Seinfeld quotes aside, I find exclamation marks (points?) in a professional environment very unprofessional. I've never used them in a formal letter/email and I've never received them.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Seinfeld quotes aside, I find exclamation marks (points?) in a professional environment very unprofessional. I've never used them in a formal letter/email and I've never received them.
Pretty much this. not necessarily rude, but Its unprofessional. As is signing off "cheers" TBH, but lets tackle these issues one at a time.

dogkat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
na i just got an email on linked in from this recruiter asking me if i am interested in this role with another oil company or if i could recommend someone i know who would be suitable and interested . I already knew about this role cos my mate works in a senior position in that company and had already applied for this role. So I replied her back that what about my mate who has already applied for this role? she responded back

I am not sure what is happening with internal candidates - my job is to find external ones!! Cheers, Emily

Is she is making fun of my intelligence by putting exclamation marks at the end?
She's not, but we will !!! :p :p :p

Bazinga!

Anyway, she's not shouting at you, she's not using the exclamation marks in their correct context, and if she's trying to recruit you, she shouldn't have signed off with 'cheers'.

She just used poor punctuation.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah I suppose it's rude?
I over use them when it isn't really needed.
Don't really care this is the fucking Internet bitches!
People think yeh and lol is a professional response or an intelligent way to win an arguement!

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
When i learnt English punctuation , i was told to use exclamation
:laughing:

Sorry, I shouldn't pick on your English, but this was quite ironic.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
On topic though... Exclamation point is to emphasise. Hence the term "exclamation" to exclaim something. It's basically telling everyone that this part is important and needs attention.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Now if you want shouting, WRITE IN CAPITALS. EVERYONE READS THIS AS SOMEONE SHOUTING OR SAYING SOMETHING VERY LOUDLY!

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
:laughing:

Sorry, I shouldn't pick on your English, but this was quite ironic.
I thought it was learnt for a long time, then one day I had a flashback and realised the internet is making us all dumb and correct way to say it is "learned".

Also I blame the 2nd class cockney accent we as a nation have adopted for why are spellin is so stooped sumtimes.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I thought it was learnt for a long time, then one day I had a flashback and realised the internet is making us all dumb and correct way to say it is "learned".

Also I blame the 2nd class cockney accent we as a nation have adopted for why are spellin is so stooped sumtimes.
I was more focused on the lower case "i" for I and " , " (space comma space). Especially considering that it was a post about punctuation and the punctuation was so messed up.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I was more focused on the lower case "i" for I and " , " (space comma space). Especially considering that it was a post about punctuation and the punctuation was so messed up.

well, other punctuations dont confuse you as much as exclamation. that was the whole point.

I am not sure how to take her comment, "my job is to find external ones!!" should i be offended by it, take it as a smart arse comment or just a normal comment.

Now if she wants to emphasize a point she can make it on bold, but exclamation mark i was always told is put at end if you want to say out loud.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
She's not, but we will !!! :p :p :p

Bazinga!

Anyway, she's not shouting at you, she's not using the exclamation marks in their correct context, and if she's trying to recruit you, she shouldn't have signed off with 'cheers'.

She just used poor punctuation.

I have already declined the offer as in what other job you get paid to work from home and comment on kennel. lol

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
well, other punctuations dont confuse you as much as exclamation. that was the whole point.

I am not sure how to take her comment, "my job is to find external ones!!" should i be offended by it, take it as a smart arse comment or just a normal comment.

Now if she wants to emphasize a point she can make it on bold, but exclamation mark i was always told is put at end if you want to say out loud.
Her reply just shows that she's a stereotypical overly enthusiastic HR person. They're all like that. You can safely ignore the exclamation points in this case.

Man they give me the shits. Stop being so friggin' happy. You work in a dead end job in a crappy office. No amount of fake smiles and exclamation points will make your life more meaningful.

Status
Not open for further replies.