Opinion Unprofessionalism Culls Rebuild

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Part of my point is the club projects their weakness and desperation.

All the talk of we have no money in the cap or we have a warchest just stfu keep your cards close and nut out contracts and dealings behind closed doors. Its utterly embarrassing that we get fucked just as hard off the field as we do on it
I'ts funny sad how half TK wants the club to STFU and the other half wants the club to tell everyone every time they take a piss.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree! We are also in a weak position in negotiations because we play so poorly as a team.
Also agree. Mates in Sydney that go to training days tell me that they all look gym fit but not footy fit, they all look like they have never seen each other before, make a lot of unchecked errors at training and are so lazy.....

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to say this board does seem vastly different from the previous two boards.

Dib got us into this mess

Lyn and Chris Anderson were all talk and added to the mess.

This board is cleaning it up
VERY SLOWLY

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Smith wasn't performing for us and from reports there were attitude problems.

Dwz mate 880k is ridiculous. Dallins problems under the high ball were plenty at Penrith, so I've got NFI what the last board were doing offering him that much. And we are getting something from it, we're freeing up salary cap room for some of the moves going on behind behind scenes. People need to be patient and just wait and see what eventuates.

At the very least we are not overpaying (cotric was the previous board). Flanagan and burton have both come relatively cheap, when you consider the market for those positions.
Do you think we got what we paid for with Flannigan?

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus Gould has it right. You don’t/shouldn’t win competitions by trying to buy players. You should develop juniors, have a strong feeder system and then as the great Joey Johns says, there should be cash breaks to ensure you can hold onto the talent developed.
The last decade has been about buying players
When a team has a culture that develops and nurtures winners, like the Storm, they don’t have to pay overs when the rare time comes that they need to buy coverage in a position. I heard something the other day where the last time the Storm purchased a ‘marquee’ player before Xavier Coates, it was Michael Crocker.
We can talk about the ‘war chest’ all day long but that’s not going to deliver us a premiership. It might slip us into the finals but it won’t beat the top 6 teams running around right now. If we buy Brandon Smith, and don’t get me wrong - he’s a great player - but we will pay him $900K per season and he simply not worth that. If we go for Finucane, and let’s not forget we got rid of him to the Storm when he was mediocre and they turned him into a force of nature - we will offer him $2m for 3 seasons.
Offloading DWZ was the right move. Not because it’s smart to throw $400K in the bin to watch him play for another team, but because he’s not worth $800K per season and should never have been signed for that in the first place.
Once we develop a culture of winning and bringing through juniors as we did when Chris Anderson and Bullfrog Moore were around, we will have to either work with what we have or wait for the right players at the right price.
When Bullfrog was around Anderson was his bitch.......

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The player signed the contract, we offered the contract and also signed it so let make use of the player. Not in the first team squad then have the player work in the league club, do junior development, play reserve grade. Basically make the player earn the salary some other way.
Can you imagine Flanno working at the leagues club? He'd pour you a half full schooner and fill the rest up with tears then your beer would be salty. Thats if you even got to taste it provided he didnt drop it handing it to you

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Do you think we got what we paid for with Flannigan?
For the deal done AT THE TIME, yes.

I never rated Flanagan but then I'm not on the recruitment team, however I can understand the thinking at the time.

At the time we signed him:

1. he was earmarked in the juniors for big things
2. he had just played for the back to back premiers, regardless that they let him go
3. "experts" still expected big things from him
4. we had no one in the halves and needed to recruit someone there
5. he was the only available half in the market
6. given the above points, Barrett thought he could mould Kyle into a good half

It didn't work out and I don't think we've broken the bank for him. I'm more pleased that fairly quickly Barrett acknowledged he isn't good enough.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Getting SJ for a rumoured 450-500k to me makes more sense than paying a rumoured 800k for DWZ to play in a position of wing which we have covered in abundance with better players and cheaper.
Bringing Flanagan over and putting all our expectations on his shoulders is a lesson that we don't do the same with Burton. Whether it was Green, Reynolds or benji and now SJ, Burton needs assistance or he'll deliver less like that was seen with his halves partner in May. Still eventually did well when compared to how he was playing brilliantly when partnered with Luiu.
To keep harping on us paying freight for players playing elsewhere is not unique or exclusive to the bulldogs. Every team's roster is mixed and balanced with former clubs partially paying. We just need to get better at swapping players that bring more to our requirements.

Last edited:

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Pay wanted Reynolds back, the board wouldn't allow it. I'm bias, but for close to minimum wage (quoted by Pay) for a club legend (imo, probably unpopular opinion but w.e.) who would or brought experience into the spine I would of been down (similar to Tigers and Benji), but it depends on the details of course.
Renoykds experience would have been garbage.
He was an erratic player with no composure...

would have been a shit senior player to have even on minimum wage.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We aren’t in a great situation but we haven’t had the ‘fall’ quite like the broncos! Players would stay for a ‘less’ (well 3rd parties helped hahaha) but now they have to fork out more cash then I think we are with players they don’t want.