Opinion Unprofessionalism Culls Rebuild

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The idea of allowing players to leave and still pay them in the NRL is pure crazy. This is a business sport and thus to continue to allow large section of the cap to be used by other clubs is also crazy.

The player signed the contract, we offered the contract and also signed it so let make use of the player. Not in the first team squad then have the player work in the league club, do junior development, play reserve grade. Basically make the player earn the salary some other way.

Professionalism is a big problem with many football players and clubs in this day and age so why not try starting there.
Ok let me try and digest this. We have 2 options :

Option 1 - admit we signed a bad deal with DWZ and pay the Warriors some of his salary next year to take him off our hands. The money saved on his contract will be used to sign Shaun Johnson ; or

Option 2 - keep DWZ and pay him his full $800k next year but make him pick up glasses and clean the shitters at the Leagues Club to make up for the fact that we are overpaying him.

Tough choice. The Leagues Club shitters can be pretty rank so an extra hand wouldnt hurt. However I think I will have to take Option 1 and get a world class halfback at the club with the money freed up

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Option 1 - admit we signed a bad deal with DWZ and pay the Warriors some of his salary next year to take him off our hands. The money saved on his contract will be used to sign Shaun Johnson ; or

Option 2 - keep DWZ and pay him his full $800k next year but make him pick up glasses and clean the shitters at the Leagues Club to make up for the fact that we are overpaying him.

Tough choice. The Leagues Club shitters can be pretty rank so an extra hand wouldnt hurt. However I think I will have to take Option 1 and get a world class halfback at the club with the money freed up
The real problem is the contracts been given out in the first place. We have to be so much more careful handing these deals out. I don’t have a problem with freight getting paid to ease cap space and fix the problem as long as we aren’t getting taken to the cleaners on the deal. It’s just part of the game these days.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
The idea of allowing players to leave and still pay them in the NRL is pure crazy. This is a business sport and thus to continue to allow large section of the cap to be used by other clubs is also crazy.

The player signed the contract, we offered the contract and also signed it so let make use of the player. Not in the first team squad then have the player work in the league club, do junior development, play reserve grade. Basically make the player earn the salary some other way.

Professionalism is a big problem with many football players and clubs in this day and age so why not try starting there.
The crazy part is the offer.
A major problem at the club has been the big contracts given for very little return.
Started with She-Rex who apparently had clinical depression.
Mybe never lived up to his potential and club didn't want another Thurston and paid him way too much. Had to free up cap space.
Foran, too injured and while tough and good footy brain not worth $2.6m - $2.8 m we paid him over 3 years with the club.
Woods: yeah his form wasn't good when he came, could he have worked maybe? But Chris Anderson wanted him gone and we had to pay.
Graham: again big contacted, probably too generous but decision was made to free up cap space.
DWZ: crazy money for this guy. decision made to free up cap space.

Whilever we are down the bottom of the ladder and struggling to attract top quality players you run the risk of paying overs for players who don't deliver.

Last edited:

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

hasn't he already packed his bags?

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm gonna ignore your obligatory little Elliott jibe and just stay on topic.....

You do not go and sign a kid who has just been released one year into a deal if you aren't willing to invest time into him....and you certainly don't put additional pressure on a young player who is down on confidence by comparing him to Nathan Cleary. We could have signed Benji Marshall ffs.... a player who would have provided our spine with the experience it is sorely lacking at present and also would have been great for the development of his cousin's game. Benji would have been the perfect example of a short term signing offering long term gain.

But we didn't go that way, so on to Flanagan. Our staff should have well and truly known what they were getting with him and that he had some limitations they would need to work with.,.... signing him, asking him to run the team when he is clearly not ready for that pressure and then presenting him to the media as Nathan Cleary 2.0 was a huge mistake. Shopping him around six months into his contract will only compound that mistake. If we get rid of Flanagan now, any young player approached by us will think 'here's a club on the bottom of the ladder that offers me no long term security or stability.....hard pass'. If we continue to operate like this, Burton will probably look to exercise his get out clause and get out of dodge after 2 years....nobody is going to want to play for a struggling team that releases players 6-12 months into a contract after touting them as the next big thing. Burton is probably already having doubts about his decision to sign with us, no matter what he says publicly.

The way the whole club has handled the Flanagan situation is just amateur hour stuff. Our club is a hard enough sell for quality players without turning the joint into a transit lounge. And people wonder why players like Brandon Smith want nothing to do with us....lol
Mate you have forgotten that Flanagan has failed as a half at 2 clubs 1 club at the to of the tree and the other at the bottom. BTW many of us believe that the team is playing better without Flanagan.
We only players who have confidence in their ability.

Flanagun

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Mate you have forgotten that Flanagan has failed as a half at 2 clubs 1 club at the to of the tree and the other at the bottom. BTW many of us believe that the team is playing better without Flanagan.
I haven't forgotten anything.....I think you've misread my comments. I'm not saying Flanagan was a player we needed. I am saying the club has acted extremely unprofessionally by signing him, allowing Barrett to tout him as an emerging superstar and now apparently trying to fob him off to someone else, if the murmurs are true....It's a really bad look.

I think the team playing better is down to improvements across the whole squad....Wakeham certainly hasn't been a major upgrade.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I haven't forgotten anything.....I think you've misread my comments. I'm not saying Flanagan was a player we needed. I am saying the club has acted extremely unprofessionally by signing him, allowing Barrett to tout him as an emerging superstar and now apparently trying to fob him off to someone else, if the murmurs are true....It's a really bad look.

I think the team playing better is down to improvements across the whole squad....Wakeham certainly hasn't been a major upgrade.
Wakeham >>>>>>>>>Adam idiot

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

That’s now how it works, our portion for him next year is included in this years cap. He will not be on our books next year. A player can’t receive payments from 2 clubs.

Flanagun

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I look at it from the other end and see that Baz is not afraid to make the tough decisions and move players or drop them (can't say the same about our forwards tho).

See your point but. I think Flanno was definitely a mistake, unless he does a complete 180 this year, but can't see that happening.
I think there needs to be some balance. It's good if coach is willing to make tough decisions, but a coach shouldn't be making bad decisions that ultimately lead to a need for those decisions. I would also seriously question whether the revolving door fullback policy of Barrett has really done us any good. Allan wasn't really given long to show what he could do there, DWZ started pretty well but then fell apart as he always does, Meaney has been hot and cold....all three have been moved around a lot this year and that is not good for form or continuity. personally, I'd like to see Allan given an extended go there for the rest of the year. Meaney is almost certainly off to the storm and I think Allan or Avo would be our best options to fill the role next year. as far as dropping Flanagan, admittedly his form was really bad, but let's be honest, Wakeham has been no better....and the club did Flanagan no favours by comparing him to Nathan Cleary before he's played a game for us. Flanagan showed in round one he can do good things.....he'll never be a superstar, but he also isn't responsible for all the team's problems. I feel he was made a scapegoat. I want Barrett to succeed. He's just making too many knee jerk decisions for my liking at the moment.

My Shawarma

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If you break things down we are the new Wests Tigers, any juniors that were good players all left to go to other clubs.

Our development and pathways to fg aren't up to scratch. We find ourselves paying overs for too many positions.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The crazy part is the offer.
A major problem at the club has been the big contracts given for very little return.
Started with She-Rex who apparently had clinical depression.
Mybe never lived up to his potential and club didn't want another Thurston and paid him way too much. Had to free up cap space.
Foran, too injured and while tough and good footy brain not worth $2.6m - $2.8 m we paid him over 3 years with the club.
Woods: yeah his form wasn't good when he came, could he have worked maybe? But Chris Anderson wanted him gone and we had to pay.
Graham: again big contacted, probably too generous but decision was made to free up cap space.
DWZ: crazy money for this guy. decision made to free up cap space.

Whilever we are down the bottom of the ladder and struggling to attract top quality players you run the risk of paying overs for players who don't deliver.
Wait, what?! Mbye had potential? I missed that one. Yep he had speed & could talk crap on camera, but that's all I saw.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Maybe we could leave some coke on a table outside the club to entice the Johns boys over to help Flanagan out.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Wait, what?! Mbye had potential? I missed that one. Yep he had speed & could talk crap on camera, but that's all I saw.
Agree but hindsight makes that judgement much easier.
He had half a good season and everyone here, including myself, were shitting themselves that some club would poach him and he would be a champion and we would have another Thurston on our hands.

Mybe has milked that half a good season for 6 years and for all its worth. He's still on $800k at West Tigers but the gravey train ends in November (I think)

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree but hindsight makes that judgement much easier.
He had half a good season and everyone here, including myself, were shitting themselves that some club would poach him and he would be a champion and we would have another Thurston on our hands.

Mybe has milked that half a good season for 6 years and for all its worth. He's still on $800k at West Tigers but the gravey train ends in November (I think)
Opinions are like bums, everyone has one, but when I was watching him in the lower grades I couldn't see what all the fuss was about, I just thought my judgement must be waning.

My Shawarma

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Gould reckons 5-10 years to correct systems and be competitive in the league. That is starting from a crisis position.