Opinion Unbelievable

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The thing that baffles me the most is we look like a team that is foreign to the game of rugby league and it’s basics.
We look like a team that is literally learning how to play football for the first time and we’ve looked like that for years… I don’t understand how we are the only ones that look like this constantly. I watch so many other games and even poor sides still play the fundamentals of the game better than we do
It’s mind boggling… Speechless
Could not have written it any better

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How have the Dolphins and Wayne Bennett assembled a better roster in the space of 12 months than we have in our 7 year rebuild? Why isn't anyone asking that question.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The thing that baffles me the most is we look like a team that is foreign to the game of rugby league and it’s basics.
We look like a team that is literally learning how to play football for the first time and we’ve looked like that for years… I don’t understand how we are the only ones that look like this constantly. I watch so many other games and even poor sides still play the fundamentals of the game better than we do
Doesn’t make one bit on sense, new players come in and start being the same way when previously fine.

Different coaches have yielded the same result, Ciro we don’t know yet but look at Potter for eg he got them playing what they see.

I think coaches are trying to over complicate things when we can’t even get the basics right I feel.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just remember we are anchored in 17th position today and playing Melbourne this week

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I assume this is a rhetorical question. The answer is very basic. Turnover.
Over the last 4 or so years, maybe more, we've turned over around 10 of our squad each year. I did a quick headcount yesterday, and there are currently 27 former Bulldog players who played NRL with us who are currently playing with other NRL or Super League sides. None of them are performing at an elite level, though some like JMK and CHN aren't doing too bad.
When you turnover your roster so much, 1/3 or more NRL players each year, you take away not only combinations worked up via the very repetitive nature of training drills, but you also strip the team of comraderie.....the players become mercenaries for hire....the revolving door means players merely play for pay.
You can talk all you like about building Bulldogs DNA and on and on and on, but the fact is the team loses identity on the field, there's no fighting in the trenches beside your mate who you've gone through 3 tough pre seasons of training together, and there's no combinations.
Coaches know this. That's why the first thing CC wanted to do was build closeness and togetherness. Dean Pay was handed the most inexperienced spine roster and talked constantly about getting NRL experience into the players.
So we are at the stage, as Gould recently said, we've got our roster basically in place now. I assume that means no more 10 a season turnovers. So maybe in 3 to 5 years, there will be familiarity and meaning between the players, and we will have ourselves a "team". Maybe.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
We suck.

until we land an established coach and 7 and 1. We are pointless and unable to score points or win games.
Already death riding the Coach after 1 game? He's got a 5 year deal. This is gonna be a long 5 years then because we ain't gonna be paying him out early.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All I know is that if we are coached to be doing conservative footy ,
Mark my words Ciraldo ‘s career will be over before it starts imagine doggies are 0-7 to start the season and Wayne Bennett’s team is entrenched in the top 4.
The it’s gonna take time is an absolute pisser to the fans and to make us all like fools to believe.
In all honesty we made a big mistake by not letting potter having crack.
Anyway a positive it’s only round one we can all smoke the illusionary peace pipe it’s gonna take time bull.
A positive if our team goes to shit we can always get behind the dolphins as a second team .

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Already death riding the Coach after 1 game? He's got a 5 year deal. This is gonna be a long 5 years then because we ain't gonna be paying him out early.
Death riding lol.. can’t you come up with something better. If you have any common sense it’s more stating the obvious ,not death riding. Have every right to state my opinion. Like we all do here. End of.

be sure To read other posts and state they are death riding to, your list will grow.

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For fuck sake morons, it was the first game of the year, and some of you nitwits are calling the coach and players flops!
Let the squad settle down and gell, they will come good and hold the dimwitted calls for sacking till at least the 5-6th round and after several poor performances.

PeteHazz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The last few years has looked like the coach has complicated the game plan and the result is players shutting down or not getting involved. How the Dolphins look like a better team than us when they had to go pay overs for old players or sign rejects (okay a few potential players in there, but still they were the worst roster on paper going into this year) is beyond me. I'm sick of hearing the team/players need time to gel as well. The players aren't interested, give up too easily and have a losers mentality (what it looks like). The amount of roster decision mistakes... (why do I have to wait 5-8 rounds for Flanagan to get dropped) It's starting to get real boring. Yes, it's round 1, but it's the same shit every year until we're out of contention for everything. The most exciting thing every year is recruits we have coming for the following year (outside money I don't know why anyone would come)...
100%. They (dolphins) looked like they knew what they were doing, had a game plan and players were playing to it,. Forwards hitting like they meant it and with the talent they had, played to it. I think the dolphins proved "time to gel" is sandbagging. They looked pretty gelled to me

bert

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spot on the money, well said

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Unbelievable is the name of the the thread. Unbelievable are most of the comments [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
I don’t know why there was an expectation (from some) that everything would magically click into place from Round 1. Desire maybe but that’s not reality. Gus said it at the AGM and season launch: ‘I told Cameron that he could stay at Panther and win another comp or two but if he came here now it would be a trip down into the mines because we’ve got a couple of years to go yet’. ‘He rang me the next day and said ‘If it’s going to be a fight I want to get in it now’…

They know we’re not ready to mix it with the top teams. Gus has managed to clear out some expensive and/or wrong (mostly Baz era) recruits like Cotric, Dufty, Allan etc. Flanagan will be next, just need someone to be ready to step in for which there’s no obvious immediate answer. Having so many injuries up front is no-one’s fault, just bad luck.

I want to win as much as any other fan but anyone ignoring reality just doesn’t get it.

J_Cooper

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It’s like the club bought into the media talking CC up so much that we just went after him, just like we did with Barrett. How about we get an actual fucking first grade coach who’s done something. I don’t wanna sound crazy but it’s like they the media and scum journos like kent and rothfield talked this bloke up so much like they did with Barrett so we’d go after him knowing full well that he hasn’t proven a thing to show he can actually coach.

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The alarming observation from Saturday's gam, as others have said, is not that the dogs lost but they way they played. Forget "game plans", rugby league is a simple game. Warren Ryan and Wayne Bennett the masters of understanding how the game should be played to win. Move up in defence and tackle with force. In attack everyone moves and the ball runner aims straight at the line. The defence can't slide and gaps and overlaps happen. Watch a Bennett team at training as I have done a few times and you will quickly see the drills on the basics. The Dolphins executed the basics to yesterday and looked like champions. Stop with the idiot game plans and go out and play football.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's going to take some time, and some of the players had a shortened preseason. I am sure they are disappointed in their performance. Hard to make a call after 1 game. But times we had strong D, but I felt our resilience went out the window when Flanno was binned.

I'm not panicking yet , I hope to see some improvement in our defensive lapses and end of set options in our next game. I think from here our performance should be compared week on week.

Don't forget in attack, 50% of the spine is new.

I get the comments about why play players if they are underdone, but the best way to get match fitness in them is to play them and NSW Cup is too slow.

I am sure Burton is thinking WTF was I doing at different stages of the game, his confidence seemed down.