Opinion Unbelievable

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The thing that baffles me the most is we look like a team that is foreign to the game of rugby league and it’s basics.
We look like a team that is literally learning how to play football for the first time and we’ve looked like that for years… I don’t understand how we are the only ones that look like this constantly. I watch so many other games and even poor sides still play the fundamentals of the game better than we do
It’s mind boggling… Speechless

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We have chopped and changed so much in recent years that its going to take time to get systems in place like the Storm or Panthers. We did lose a couple of key players prior to the game and I think we needed them as we are weak up front. We lack dominant props who can give us advantage. I think there is some good play in us and we have shown that towards the end of last season. But the loss mentality is still there and we can easily slip back into old habits.

I kept hearing players interviewed before the match talking about sticking to the systems and game plan but that went out the window especially after Flanagan was sin binneed and Manly scored a couple of times. Then we seem to give up. Up to that point I thought we had a chance. Poor discipline and defence let us down.

Ciraldo is known for his defence coaching so hopefully we can at least tighten that up. We still need a good half that can lead the team and create something. But halves are only as good as the momentum created by forwards. I haven't given up on seeing some good footy. I know we have it in us. Its early days lets see if theres an improvement next week. I wouldn't be surprised if we come close against the Storm.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
The last few years has looked like the coach has complicated the game plan and the result is players shutting down or not getting involved. How the Dolphins look like a better team than us when they had to go pay overs for old players or sign rejects (okay a few potential players in there, but still they were the worst roster on paper going into this year) is beyond me. I'm sick of hearing the team/players need time to gel as well. The players aren't interested, give up too easily and have a losers mentality (what it looks like). The amount of roster decision mistakes... (why do I have to wait 5-8 rounds for Flanagan to get dropped) It's starting to get real boring. Yes, it's round 1, but it's the same shit every year until we're out of contention for everything. The most exciting thing every year is recruits we have coming for the following year (outside money I don't know why anyone would come)...

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
the only time we've ever played with any fluency is when potter let go of the reins and the team played what was infront of them instead of trying to be at certain parts of the field at certain times in the tackle count with preprogrammed plays, Burton looked like he was too busy trying to remember the game plan and where they needed to be instead of reacting to what was in front of him the adlib stuff with fox seems a distance memory

I really hope im wrong and over reacting but we look like we did when Barrett was in charge micromanaging everything

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Unfortunately it looks like Ciraldo is out of his depth.

Literally no one thought of moving Averillo from FB except for him. Most baffling decision.
yep he was tried as a centre previously and didnt click, when he was finally moved to fullback we saw the best of him and i think that is his best position, i think perham is a rocks and diamonds player who can come up with very costly errors (possibly why he hasn't cracked a first grade gig), but is the current coaches pet project like Waddell was Barretts

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
100% my thoughts exactly. It’s like we are being sabotaged. I don’t understand what we are doing and we’ve had about 5 different coaches since Hasler. How have we not evolved yet. It’s insane!
Something is very wrong

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We have chopped and changed so much in recent years that its going to take time to get systems in place like the Storm or Panthers. We did lose a couple of key players prior to the game and I think we needed them as we are weak up front. We lack dominant props who can give us advantage. I think there is some good play in us and we have shown that towards the end of last season. But the loss mentality is still there and we can easily slip back into old habits.

I kept hearing players interviewed before the match talking about sticking to the systems and game plan but that went out the window especially after Flanagan was sin binneed and Manly scored a couple of times. Then we seem to give up. Up to that point I thought we had a chance. Poor discipline and defence let us down.

Ciraldo is known for his defence coaching so hopefully we can at least tighten that up. We still need a good half that can lead the team and create something. But halves are only as good as the momentum created by forwards. I haven't given up on seeing some good footy. I know we have it in us. Its early days lets see if theres an improvement next week. I wouldn't be surprised if we come close against the Storm.
Melbourne have 7 out.. all starters, it's actually embarrassing if we lose, we probably will

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few TK members have hit the nail on the head .. it’s a very simple game, to win you need aggressive metre eater mongrel props that dominate up front.

You need big bodied fast mobile centres and outside backs that run hard hurt in tackles & don’t get rag dolled.

You need a skilled 1 6 7 9 spine that have played a bit of footy together ..

Most importantly, that 7 needs to run the team & be a game manager, your 7 needs to have the running game, passing game, and the kicking skills to keep the team on the front foot and the opposition under pressure, your 7 allows every other player especially the 1 and 6 to inject their skills into the game.

Run your eye over our team and ask yourself how many of those boxes do we tick, and there’s your answer, that’s why we’ve started the season in 17th place.

The question is what’s Gus & Ciraldo doing about it because here we are starting 2023 and we still have these glaring problems.

dog 4life

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This doesn't make sense, Something doesn't ad up. Did someone cast a spell on the bulldogs or what. It's as if no matter how good the players are, the minute they puts on the bulldogs jersey they forget how to play footy! This is some creepy shit [emoji15]

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Just like winning is a culture, losing can be also.
it’s going to take a grind to turn the ship around but if the culture remains tight, I’m confident after the team gets a couple of wins, it’ll come easier.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We suck.

until we land an established coach and 7 and 1. We are pointless and unable to score points or win games.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
the only time we've ever played with any fluency is when potter let go of the reins and the team played what was infront of them instead of trying to be at certain parts of the field at certain times in the tackle count with preprogrammed plays, Burton looked like he was too busy trying to remember the game plan and where they needed to be instead of reacting to what was in front of him the adlib stuff with fox seems a distance memory

I really hope im wrong and over reacting but we look like we did when Barrett was in charge micromanaging everything
All teams know that we only score down Ado-Carr's wing, and that Burton is key to that. So, they shut down Burton, and kill the Dog's attack.
We are so focused on using the left wing, that our right wing has nothing to do but defend.
Burton needs to sweep around both sides and get the right wing working too. Ennis could see that, but Ciraldo couldn't.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
This doesn't make sense, Something doesn't ad up. Did someone cast a spell on the bulldogs or what. It's as if no matter how good the players are, the minute they puts on the bulldogs jersey they forget how to play footy! This is some creepy shit [emoji15]
But they say good stuff before every game to get the suckers in to watch them lose.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We play the Storm , Tigers, Warriors (in NZ) and the Cowboys over the next 4 weeks. Based on openiing round form, our injuries and current team selections we might be a chance in just 1 game against the Tigers.. We could potentially go 0-5.

If that happens the Sack Ciraldo thread will be on fire..(not that I would be supporting that)

P.S we then play the Rabbits, Eels and Sharks.. I feel sick