News Trial Takeaways: Problems abound for Dogs after Sharks loss (Roar)

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Fu<k me, Sharks played just as sh!t as we did and the article makes them out to be a “professional outfit” - another one eyed dumb arse media piece with an agenda to throw a boot into the club. Honestly, Sharks were piss poor in that trial considering how much possession they had and how much bigger their forward pack was yet only won the game from an errant pass - I felt we actually played better.

They also make it sound like Critta got hooked after 20mins, you don’t run the risk with him in a trial - simple.

The only way we get these muppets off our back is by winning games and/or being well clear of the spoon. I think we should have a much improved season.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I want us to unleash a brand of footy that was similar to the entertainers,biggest mistake we can make is to be bash and barge,we need to be asking questions almost every play in a set,Burton needs to run and Mahooney needs to not stifle the attack,Burton if he plays off the cuff can be one of the best in the game.
My biggest questions regardless of a rebuild or not is Ciraldo going to shackle us or free us,that my friend is the question you should be asking.
You’ll have your answer before our bye comes up that’s more than enough time.
We can only enjoy the ride
Let’s beat eels that would be a huge boost for our team confidence.
A once great coach told me, to achieve success you must play to your own strength, that never changes regardless of the rules changes.
To unleash the entertainers can we tick very important 2 boxes, box one 2 sets of three brothers who understood each others game back to front, box two we need a Steve Mortimer and a Gary Hughes, sadly we can't tick any of the boxes.

As for Ciro, I've always believed being a rookie coach he needs to consult more with Gus specially when it comes down to players selections, we don't need a repeat of the Perham situation, loyalty to players shouldn't come at the cost of the team's success !

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
The former Roosters playmaker struggled in the first half with a poor defensive read to concede the opening try

Proves this dip shit has no idea about footy considering we were short on numbers and Hutcho had to choose between a wrapping playmaker or come in on a runner short.

It was also Faamasuili's man who didnt slide. Scecondly if Hutchison took Wilton the ball would have gone out the back and the sharks would have scored in the corner anyway.

If anything it was bad communication on the line by all.
If you are talking about when hutch came out of the line? then it was all Hutchinson.
Firstly he went past the ball, secondly he didnt protect his inside shoulder and thirdly he didnt stay in the line. The player inside him also at fault but not as much, he didnt work from the inside

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
1709101168894.png

@Bulldogsteve

If the dogs numbered up then yes your 100% right Hutch should be taking Wilton on his inside shoulder and he shouldnt be running passed the ball.

BUT it was 4 on 5 on the short side to start. Because Presto got up from the tackle and went infield, Famu didnt slide right enough leaving us short 5 against 3 once the ball was played. It also left Hutcho to mark a swinging Trindall and Kennedy on his outside whilst relying on his inside man to cover the hole for Wilton which he didnt. Also followed Xerri up to shut off the backline play which they probably would have done if the ball did go out the back.

I initially thought Hutch over read the play, which he still did but after I watched the replay I saw a ball watching Famu and the stacked numbers on the short side.

In my opinion it was shit defense all round and also a great line set up by the sharks. I wouldn't say it was all Hutcho... I'd put the blame on Famu more than anything because if he rushed up with Hutch he probably would been all over Wilton.

Last edited:

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
View attachment 103177

@Bulldogsteve

If the dogs numbered up then yes your 100% right Hutch should be taking Wilton on his inside shoulder and he shouldnt be running passed the ball.

BUT it was 4 on 5 on the short side. Because Presto got up from the tackle and went infield and Famu didnt slide right enough leaving us short 5 against 3. It also left Hutcho to mark a swinging Trindall and Kennedy on his outside whilst relying on his inside man to cover the hole for Wilton which he didnt. Also followed Xerri up to shut off the backline play which they probably would have done if the ball did go out the back.

I initially thought Hutch over read the play, which he still did but after watched the replay and saw a ball watching Famu and the stacked number on the short side.

In my opinion it was shit defense all round and also a great line set up by the sharks. I wouldn't say it was all Hutcho... I'd put the blame on Famu more than anything because if he rushed up with Hutch he probably would been all over Wilton.
Nice analysis. Thanks

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What is Hutchison supposed to do? Wait for Farmer-silly to regain his breath and stay on the line with him.
I said it 2 months ago he will be a liability under fatigued to us in defense after watching him blowing at training. I admit he impressed me in the trials but the evidence dont lie.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Under the circumstances one defence lapse and one shit dummy half pass.
The real build phase is the comp.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fu<k me, Sharks played just as sh!t as we did and the article makes them out to be a “professional outfit” - another one eyed dumb arse media piece with an agenda to throw a boot into the club. Honestly, Sharks were piss poor in that trial considering how much possession they had and how much bigger their forward pack was yet only won the game from an errant pass - I felt we actually played better.

They also make it sound like Critta got hooked after 20mins, you don’t run the risk with him in a trial - simple.

The only way we get these muppets off our back is by winning games and/or being well clear of the spoon. I think we should have a much improved season.
Well said D.O.W, simply this is how it is...
Pathetic are some of TK members feeding their agendas using stories from the rags.
These aren't supporters they are pretenders !!!

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
View attachment 103177

@Bulldogsteve

BUT it was 4 on 5 on the short side to start. Because Presto got up from the tackle and went infield, Famu didnt slide right enough leaving us short 5 against 3 once the ball was played. It also left Hutcho to mark a swinging Trindall and Kennedy on his outside whilst relying on his inside man to cover the hole for Wilton which he didnt. Also followed Xerri up to shut off the backline play which they probably would have done if the ball did go out the back.

I initially thought Hutch over read the play, which he still did but after I watched the replay I saw a ball watching Famu and the stacked numbers on the short side.

Educated him good

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
One side was a top eight finisher, and the other, bottom of the table - only a lucky try from a Dog's mistake gave Cronulla the win, and this is how the journo saw the game?
There is always bias that the better teams don’t peak until later in the season. Commentators peddle this crap during round 1-10 let alone the trials.

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would read perfectly for those with an agenda, although for some it’s more a case of delusion.

How about these facts
1. It was a trial
2. both teams were fielding their strongest team available in the first half.
3. At half time the score was 6 all.
4. our ball control was poor, which led to extended periods of defending and poor field position.
5. Hutchison by his own standards didn’t have a good game
6. 2 of our best forwards (Curren and Hughes) sustained injuries in the first half
7. We blooded 9 new players against a side that is ver established

How would the article have read if we jagged a win off a dropped pass.

Which coach would have been more satisfied on the night?

If I was Fitzgibbon I would have a lot more to be worried about considering all of the above - they really should have win by plenty!!

Hynes not playing for them is zero excuse - they had 17 guys that have mostly been playing together for years - we had around 7 - that fact alone speaks for itself.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs 6, Sharks 12
Halfback, fullback a headache for Ciraldo

If Cameron Ciraldo thinks Drew Hutchison is the answer to their halfback problem, he’s asking the wrong questions.

The former Roosters playmaker struggled in the first half with a poor defensive read to concede the opening try, bombing a Bulldogs four-pointer with a poor pass and giving a couple of his runners hospital passes as they were crunched by the grateful Sharks defence.

For all the millions spent on new recruits in the past few years, the Dogs still haven’t solved their highest priority – finding a halfback who can harness their talented stars.

Whether Ciraldo goes into Round 1 with Hutchison or ex-Titans playmaker Toby Sexton alongside Matt Burton, chances are the half will become the latest in a long line of playmakers who have been handed the role but have been chewed up and spat out of the kennel’s revolving doggy door.

Sexton only got 16 minutes of game time at the end when Burton was given a breather so he is highly unlikely to be given the keys to the team for their trip to Parramatta to kick off the season.

Fullback is Ciraldo’s other problem spot with former Rabbitohs utility Blake Taaffe making a string of fundamental errors at the back.

Stephen Crichton came to Canterbury from Penrith hoping to establish himself in his preferred position of fullback but after being selected for his club debut at centre, he was benched after 20 minutes.

He should have been running at fullback every training session in the pre-season and getting a chance to establish some on-field combinations from the back in this game but Ciraldo seemingly has other plans for their marquee signing.

As things currently stand, the Dogs are on course for another season of disappointment with not even a sniff of the playoffs in their nostrils.

For the Sharks, they played as you would expect their professional outfit to operate.

Even with Nicho Hynes in cotton wool for Round 1 after blowing off his summer cobwebs in the All-Stars game last week, they looked solid as always.

Second-rower Teig Wilton looked strong, touching down for the opening try, in his comeback from a knee injury which cut short his 2023 campaign.

They will be strong again this season but whether they can knock over the top dogs, not teams like the Bulldogs, will be the lingering question hovering over them until they prove otherwise.

“That was way too easy … paper thin,” said Fox Sports analyst Cooper Conk when Wilton sliced past Hutchison to draw first blood on the scoreboard.

Briton Nikora prevented Canterbury equalising on the half-hour mark with a diving cover tackle on ex-Sharks centre Bronson Xerri but was banished to the bin for holding on way too long afterwards.

The hosts eventually capitalised on their numerical advantage with Jacob Preston crashing over just before the break.

With both coaches emptying their bench to give extended squad members a taste of NRL action, the attack in particular was ragged for each team even though both sides muscled up in defence.

The winning try from a Bulldogs passing error with winger Chris Vea’ila sprinting away for an early birthday present the night before he turns 21.

Burton may have a judiciary drama to deal with after he was placed on report for a high shot in the second half – it goes without saying (or typing in this instance) that if he is suspended for Round 1, the downward Dogs will be at even longer odds to upset Parra.

Sharks forward Jesse Colquhoun could also be missing when they open their account away to the Warriors after limping off with a foot injury.
The moron that wrote this is actually a double moron. Make that triple. It was a fucking trial.