News Trent Barrett joins Eels as Assistant Coach in 2023

Kennel Established
Reaction score
my mate coaches one of the rep teams, wont say which one, says TB has been very impressive at parra, maybe a good assistant but not head coach
Hello Bulldogsteve. When your mate says TB has been "very impressive" at parra, was he talking about his dress sense, or his hair? Cheers. 88

Screenshot_20230122_231116_Chrome.jpg

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Hello Bulldogsteve. When your mate says TB has been "very impressive" at parra, was he talking about his dress sense, or his hair? Cheers. 88

View attachment 64115
he is a smart man, just struggled as a head coach. played at the highest level. good looking bloke also as you have mentioned

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a mate who’s a member at Manly, poor bloke, he said to me after it was announced that we signed him as our head coach, “I don’t know why the Bulldogs signed Barrett as coach, he was terrible for us. We were so glad to see him go”.

Yes, he went to Penrith and was part of their success as assistant coach but as we are seeing now, when you have Gus working behind the scenes building a quality side & Ciraldo having had an impressive 9 year apprenticeship as assistant coach and successful reserve grade coach, that Penrith were desperate for him to stay. Assistants are only as good as those around them, no different to a team.

The winning formula Panthers had, we now have that formula and have rid ourselves of the rot we once had. His team selections were appalling and he was way to soft on players, especially after they cost us games.

Eels is a great fit for TBaz, more disappointment for years to come as they, unlike us, don’t have a quality coaching squad.

I will throw Eels fans a bone though, they have the nucleus of a fairly good side as seen in ‘22. Moses, Brown, Gutho, Lane, Paulo and RC-G but are now losing good players and have persisted with a losing coach for over a decade. As I said TBaz.is a great fit for the Eels.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like Trent but the likely scenario that Parra drop of this year is high, Trent you silly bastard what r u doing. It will all be Trent’s fault…

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You can be a good assistant aka Barrett and not be able to make the step to FG coach.

FG is a lot of stress and you really have to thrive in those moments.

TBaz will be a good assistant for them but BA is the main guy who has proven himself to be a consistent top 8 coach. I don't really see it impacting the Eels too much.

On paper their roster is not as strong but they should still be up around the top 4 again.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Can't handle pressure of head coach. Might be a good assistant.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
my mate coaches one of the rep teams, wont say which one, says TB has been very impressive at parra, maybe a good assistant but not head coach
I think your mate would be spot on. He has a proven successful track record as an assistant coach. Think he probably had some great ideas and understood the game at a high level, but struggled to communicate them as a head coach on his own to the team. Bit like the smartest dux student of the school being an academic genius, but went on to become a terrible teacher who couldn't communicate with and engage the students

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do to and wish him all the best.
He wasnt the right bloke for the job with us but I believe his heart was in it.
Blokes like Des on the other hand, felt it was more about him than the Club.
There is an element of truth in what you say but NRL is like no other sports i.e. they're results based and if you look at the Des era compared to TB then you can see why Des lasted as long as he did with us, and TB did not.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There is an element of truth in what you say but NRL is like no other sports i.e. they're results based and if you look at the Des era compared to TB then you can see why Des lasted as long as he did with us, and TB did not.
Agreed.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
For so many people claiming Baz’s football intelligence, he surrounded himself with absolute losers when he was at Manly coaching the first grade squad and then brought the same fools overs to assist him when he got his chance to coach the Bulldogs.
that doesn’t really display a lot of intelligence. Baz is a career assistant coach and probably a good one at that but that’s all. He should never be given the top job again.

HD and Ink

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Noooooooooo........you got enough probs already.