News Trent Barrett axes Canterbury Bulldogs coaching staff

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know sacking people is not always the answer.....just saying.

There has been too many "sackings" at the club, in particular under the current board.

Surely this string of sackings has eroded the culture at the club, it must have.

I'm seriously concerned our club has become a transit lounge for mediocrity or even below medicore.
Very sad to see the club sink so low.
Agree. We were all shocked but hopeful of a premiership when Des was announced as coach. He did get us to a GF but he and the board he worked under put us in this mess we are now in. Enter Dean Pay a former premiership winning player for the club so he has his heart in the club but was left with an absolute mess. Not his fault we’re in the position we’re in. Unfortunately for Dean the game these days is results driven and he had more L’s than W’s in his stats column as coach of the Bulldogs. I and most on this site truly hope Barrett is the answer to turning us around but he has NO previous links to the club has failed at Manly and Des at least was a premiership winning coach when he came to coach us and he couldn’t get us a premiership but everyone seems to think that we’re on the right track. I truly hope he does but I’m more hopeful than confident.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So WTF is Barrett still doing at the Panthers? He isn’t their coach he’s an F’N assistant who’s signed on at another club yet seems to have been given carte Blanche to act like he’s already at the club by telling Georgallis and the coaching staff they’re not wanted. That doesn’t mean I disagree with the decision but how can such a decision be made when he’s an assistant coach at the Panthers? Seems like the board have handed him the reins before he’s set foot in the place. This probably seals the wooden spoon for us this year unless the boys lift for Georgallis. If you were Georgallis you’d be thinking F the place knowing you’re not going to be their in some capacity next season. As the old saying goes, “the more things change, the more they stay the same”.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Can they do much worse than the current mob we have. People like you need to start embracing change.
Its the process I have issue with.
barrett supposedly wants to sack a bunch of people he doesnt know, to bring in his friends that dont have a history of success either.

maybe the best is a mix of old, new blood and some of his mates, but i cant see due diligence applied anywhere if what we are hearing is true.

Last edited:

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Its the process I have issue with.
barrett supposedly wants to sack a bunch of people he doesnt know, to bring in his friends that dont have a history of success either.

maybe the best is a mix of old, new blood and some of his mates, but i cant see due diligence applied anywhere if what we are hearing is true.
Let Barrett makes all the decisions he wants and we can judge him in due course.

Packstar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Please tell me that wrestling coach Pay brought over from Canberra has been given the boot as well?

Our wrestling has been absolutely disgusting for the last 5 years.

For the love of God, bring in a recognised UFC/MMA coach. John Perosh from Five Dock is one that comes to mind.

Dean Robinson - Fitness Coach

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just listened to MG's podcast with Adam Elliot that DogsOfWar1704 mentioned

If Baz is saying were going to have a few new players next year and that we'll be a different (better) team, this HAS to mean the new players will be spine players because they're the only players that can make a real difference to the team - surely its Burton and a good 9. This is good news because I was getting worried we were going to blow our load on props and backrowers without looking after the brain of the team.

Unfortunately were probably going to have to wait a few more months for confirmation of any signings but exciting times ahead. Now we just need confirmation that Tolman and Montoya wont be here next year, the Prince is off to the Broncos/Storm and were shopping Napa. Exciting times ahead Bulldogs fans

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
For the guys against or having a go at Ferris as a signing to do with our players fitness and bodies, let me just put this here:

"Head of Performance - PhD Candidate: Griffith University"

and

"Dan’s Bachelor and Honours degree have been completed at Bond University with areas of study focusing on the effects of compression garments and cold water immersion on markers of muscle damage; neuromuscular performance response to training and competition; and monitoring athletic load via Global Positioning Systems technology on elite Rugby League Players. Dan is currently completing his Doctor of Philosophy in Sport Science at Griffith University.

Dan's major area of expertise is in all aspects of 'Elite Physical Performance Program Development and Management in Professional Contact Sports Athletes'. "

We should be very happy we are finally getting someone actually educated and who has done it in today's world over a guy with a bachelor of sports science degree from the 1980s and the other two being educated from god knows where. I like this signing as we are signing someone educated and who continues to be educated with how sports are played today, hopefully the club have enough resources to take advantage of the man's knowledge.

Look at the clubs who have been at the top for a while now as most have staff with bachelors, masters and PhDs in key roles not some fucking friends for the boys ex footy players who are past what they are trying to do...

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Just listened to MG's podcast with Adam Elliot that DogsOfWar1704 mentioned

If Baz is saying were going to have a few new players next year and that we'll be a different (better) team, this HAS to mean the new players will be spine players because they're the only players that can make a real difference to the team - surely its Burton and a good 9. This is good news because I was getting worried we were going to blow our load on props and backrowers without looking after the brain of the team.

Unfortunately were probably going to have to wait a few more months for confirmation of any signings but exciting times ahead. Now we just need confirmation that Tolman and Montoya wont be here next year, the Prince is off to the Broncos/Storm and were shopping Napa. Exciting times ahead Bulldogs fans
This is the podcast link for anyone interested. Marker 3 is the timestamp.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You know sacking people is not always the answer.....just saying.

There has been too many "sackings" at the club, in particular under the current board.

Surely this string of sackings has eroded the culture at the club, it must have.

I'm seriously concerned our club has become a transit lounge for mediocrity or even below medicore.
Very sad to see the club sink so low.
Thats exactly why we need changes isnt it?

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Surely everyone was expecting that Barrett would want his own team in? His neck is on the block so he may aswell have the resources he wants to either succeed or fail.
Imagine being signed as the new head coach of a struggling club and not being able to chose your own staff. First day of work be like, "hi, my names trent. Lets start by having everyone introduce themselves and tell me a little bit about what you do here. OK great, let's go win a premiership together". It simply doesn't work like that. Maybe in business where the product and how its packaged and sold doesn't change, but when a coach is trying to mould a new team with new attack and defense structures and game plan, then inevitably you would want the staff around you that you KNOW can help you achieve this.

ALSO, DEVOUR A RICHARD KENT!