News Trent Barrett axes Canterbury Bulldogs coaching staff

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I will give Barrett the benefit of the doubt.
However a work culture that goes around sacking people and not valuing years of service is not a good culture.
I work in environment where it is virtually impossible to get sacked..and some people in the business (who hold high positions) have been there for going on 40 years and they have little or no drive left... Let me tell you the culture is bad, stale and counterproductive....

There's nothing wrong with accountability

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Barrett needs to hit the ground running next season. Bringing in his own team of coaching staff is the fresh start needed to make change for the better in how the Bulldogs rebuild. I think Having inherited figures around could lead to different agendas and could be cancerous to our reboot. We all want change for the better. Barrett has been entrusted with the job, let’s trust him and give him what ever tools he needs to rebuild this team to bring the Bulldogs back to a powerhouse.
He then is Solely responsible for the outcome.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Gold Coast head of high performance, Dan Ferris, is expected to join Barrett at Belmore. Barrett and Ferris worked together at Manly.
...and we all remember how that worked out!

1597281836547.png

Haza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I work in environment where it is virtually impossible to get sacked..and some people in the business (who hold high positions) have been there for going on 40 years and they have little or no drive left... Let me tell you the culture is bad, stale and counterproductive....

Do you work for the council?

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He only left cause he hated des school teacher antics. Hope he comes back. A great physio and bloke
Ok I didn't know that. Yeah he always seemed like a very likeable guy, use to like watching his weekly video updates would be great to have him back

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

AP ?

• Haha
Reactions: GDR

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

I'm note sure what one has to do with the other?
The business you work for, is it a for profit business?

My point is Andrew Farrar and his team were sacked.
Steve Price got that GM football job.

Now it seems all the coaching staff and trainers are getting sacked in November.

Who is left at the club to carry on the "culture" which Lynn Anderson said she wanted to bring back. Do you remember those comments?

Or is Lynn's plan now to build a new culture at the club?

SoWhat

Waterboy
Reaction score
I will give Barrett the benefit of the doubt.
However a work culture that goes around sacking people and not valuing years of service is not a good culture.
Excuse us, years of service to deliver what? You cannot be serious. Heads needed to roll alot earlier, but like they say, better late than never. Look at the end of the day KPI's were not met for too long. They have contributed to destroying our cultrure, not maintained it (the once proud Bulldogs)
Like it or not, it is a business, and the busines of business is to deliver succees. Big fail. And the emotional argument "oh they have been here a long time and deserve to be be ket for years of service" defies logic. They have been paid all the while for the service they provided (good or bad) so the club owes them nothing, and they owe the club nothing. What really upsets me is when those who get axed (especiallt after been provided employement for +37 years) instead of being thankful, bite the hand that feeds them. If you live in the past, you get stuck in it which brings me to the definition of insantity - doing the same thing (with the same people) and exepcting a different result. Change, bring it on.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Excuse us, years of service to deliver what? You cannot be serious. Heads needed to roll alot earlier, but like they say, better late than never. Look at the end of the day KPI's were not met for too long. They have contributed to destroying our cultrure, not maintained it (the once proud Bulldogs)
Like it or not, it is a business, and the busines of business is to deliver succees. Big fail. And the emotional argument "oh they have been here a long time and deserve to be be ket for years of service" defies logic. They have been paid all the while for the service they provided (good or bad) so the club owes them nothing, and they owe the club nothing. What really upsets me is when those who get axed (especiallt after been provided employement for +37 years) instead of being thankful, bite the hand that feeds them. If you live in the past, you get stuck in it which brings me to the definition of insantity - doing the same thing (with the same people) and exepcting a different result. Change, bring it on.
Who are the "they" of which you speak?

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Please tell me that wrestling coach Pay brought over from Canberra has been given the boot as well?

Our wrestling has been absolutely disgusting for the last 5 years.

For the love of God, bring in a recognised UFC/MMA coach. John Perosh from Five Dock is one that comes to mind.

Dean Robinson - Fitness Coach
Didn’t that guy get sacked like 2months into the job?

SoWhat

Waterboy
Reaction score
Who are the "they" of which you speak?
Ok I will state the obvious for you Garry Carden. Reaching out to the media and having a bit of a whinge.
“...I’ve been on JobKeeper because of COVID this year, but the club wouldn’t have known if I was dead or alive until they called to sack me. [Canterbury’s general manager of football] Steve Price called and I hung up on him. I got an email from their HR department. Idon’t know why I’ve been sacked. I feel like after nearly four decades, I don’t exist. So much for the Bulldogs being a family club.”
Advertisement

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Good...... get rid of them all.
Trent Barrett will have no excuses regarding fitness etc...
He still needs to sign some quality players though...

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Just listened to MG's podcast with Adam Elliot that DogsOfWar1704 mentioned

If Baz is saying were going to have a few new players next year and that we'll be a different (better) team, this HAS to mean the new players will be spine players because they're the only players that can make a real difference to the team - surely its Burton and a good 9. This is good news because I was getting worried we were going to blow our load on props and backrowers without looking after the brain of the team.

Unfortunately were probably going to have to wait a few more months for confirmation of any signings but exciting times ahead. Now we just need confirmation that Tolman and Montoya wont be here next year, the Prince is off to the Broncos/Storm and were shopping Napa. Exciting times ahead Bulldogs fans
Love your guess work!

obe

Waterboy
Reaction score
I believe if coaches could bring in their own players they would.
Bringing in your own coaching staffs is easier.
But some players do get told that they are not in an incoming coach's plans and moved on.
The same goes for coaching staffs too.
Its pot luck for the coaching staff whenever a new coach comes in to see which of the coaching staffs remains and which ones are moved on.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Ok I will state the obvious for you Garry Carden. Reaching out to the media and having a bit of a whinge.
“...I’ve been on JobKeeper because of COVID this year, but the club wouldn’t have known if I was dead or alive until they called to sack me. [Canterbury’s general manager of football] Steve Price called and I hung up on him. I got an email from their HR department. Idon’t know why I’ve been sacked. I feel like after nearly four decades, I don’t exist. So much for the Bulldogs being a family club.”
Advertisement
That's him, who else?
I read the thread about Garry being terminated.
I made comment that he had done a good job for a long time but time moves on.

However as per usual these articles are so thin no one has a clue if Garry got terminated because the club thinks they can get someone to do a better job or it's a cost cutting exercise because of covid 19? However as the article said, he is just getting base jobkeeper payment, so they can't be employing anyone else into the position now and if he is on jobkeeper payment only, he is not costing the club anything until the government withdraws jobkeeper.

Also unlike you apparently I don't begrudge the guy being upset!
Also note Steve Price couldn't finish the job, had to get HR to email him WTF?
Terminated by email after 37 years of service doesn't scream good management to me...just saying.

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Really good news this and glad most on here see this for what it is. A natural decision.

Too often the players, and head coach get the full blame for bad results. However, I honestly think that the backroom staff should be held a lot more accountable. Lower grade coaches also.

Let's be honest. The greatest coach in world sport at the moment, the sexy I want to make man love to you Jurgen Klopp, owes his success to the coaching team around him. He's said it again and again. He has experts in different fields working for him because he doesn't have the information or skills they do. He just brings it all together.

That needs to be our approach at the Dogs. Yes. We've got a new coach, but it's more important who comes in to help him. Cartright by all accounts would be a massive pick up? What are your thoughts guys?
Cartright would be great. We may not get him but. As he was interviewed for NthQld job and apparently is in front with great ideas at this stage. But would agree with what you said 100%