Opinion Top 8 in 2022?

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the top 6 from this year Penrith, Melb, Souths, Manly, Parra and Easts, will make the 8 next year on talent alone unless there’s some twist in form or injuries, which is always a chance.

And the final two spots are anybody’s who can string a decent run or two together throughout the season, including us.

Win half your games, you’re probably in the top 6. That’s how easy… and hard… it is.

I would not count out a single team from the top 8, you only need a bit of a run, that’s what makes it easy. Trouble is that applies to your competitors too, that’s what makes it hard.
Penrith have lost Burton & Naden, East’s have lost the Morris twins, Souths have lost Reynolds & Bennett. (Stupid of Souths to let them go).

I think we will make the 8. By which time hopefully the team has gelled and Barrett has his shit together.

Last edited:

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cronulla, better roster ……….. really!

Moylan, Fifita & Graham, between the 3 of them they will be injured more than they play and McInnes is coming off a horrid ACL.
Damien on his day is as good as any centre, but he doesn’t have them often enough, who is the other centre, Xerri is still persona non grata.
Tracy is about 5 rungs on any ladder below Burton.
Fitzgibbon in his first year as coach replacing the very player popular Morris, who knows how the long term players will react.
Finucane is a Jackson clone, he‘s just been playing in a better team.
They don’t have anyone to compete with Thompson or TPJ.
Cotric & JAC compared to SKatoa & Mulitalo, I’d call that a win for us.
My opinion, neither of the Braileys has progressed as much as many thought, their reputation is higher than their achievements to date.

Sorry, but I can’t get even close to them having a better roster.

Always a Bulldog
No worries. Yep you're probably right. They were just outside the top 8 this year though and I think Hynes, Finucane and McInnes will see them improve.

top-dog

bulldog 4 life
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
No excuse top 4 for sure

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I look at who we can beat and I reckon Tigers, Cowboys, Dragons, Knights.

Between 7-12 IMO, we sit alongside Sharks, Broncos, Warriors, Titans and Raiders. All those sides we can win or lose to depending which Doggies team shows up. I'm going to say Sharks 7th Dogs 8th.

JAYDOG

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We will make the 8.Where in the 8? I think will all depend on how healthy we stay…

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Every year we have hopeful Kennelers predicting a top eight finish, only to have our hopes dashed by a winless couple of months. We even get up our hopes after one positive pre season game.

Yes, we have a better looking team - on paper - this time; but I'll hold off on my prediction until I've seen the first five or six rounds.

Expecting 12th, then finishing 11th or 10th would be a great result as far as I'm concerned.

I'm 73, and don't expect to see a Bulldogs premiership in what years remain to me.

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still short a 1, 7, 9. Basically we fuckin spineless. I'd say 12th. In sayin that. I hope Cook and Duffy come good. But I ain't go much faith in Duffy. He is a **** if you ask me
Agree we don't have a top 8 spine, not even close. We've covered the other positions very well but we'll still be rudderless

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Not having a #7 will hurt. Without a #7 I don’t really see how we crack the top 8. As much as I love Burton he can’t do it on his own and the crackers in Averello, Wakeham and Flannagan are more a hinderance then support for Burton.
More disrespect to the future Dally M halfback of the year ffs

BG73

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Squad looks a lot better on paper so we should expect sharp improvement. However we do still have key spine uncertainty and for me the biggest issue is our forward pack. We were disgraceful last year and have made just a couple of signings. Our the forwards we’ve signed brilliant and how do we dominate other top 8 sides, I’m not sure. Then the variable factor is refereeing, they have far greater say in momentum and aren’t accountable so what makes anything thing it will change in our favour.

TAS

All In
Reaction score
I think realistically with the gains in our roster we should finish somewhere from 7 - 12.

Anything higher than 7 would be fantastic but an overachievement.

Anything lower than 12 would be extremely disappointing.

Still missing a few pieces of the puzzle to force ourselves into the top 6 consistently.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
6 - 9 if Barrett can coach at all

There's only 5 teams with better rosters than us (Panthers, Storm, Souths, Manly, Cronulla).

Others we could easily finish ahead of.
Manly would have close to a third of their cap tied up in three players, the 2 x turbos and dce. If injury strikes the rest of their roster is not good enough to get them into the 8.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Head = 13th
Heart = 11th

It's possible to make the 8 (probably best case scenario) but I'll wait until I see something next year before being optimistic.
Also take into account the draw and who some teams don't play twice. It plays a part.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I actually don’t think our spine is as bad as many make out;

Dufty, defence whinge whinge whinge, even the top fullbacks Tedesco and TTrobjevic only make 3 to 4 successful tackles a game, which is exactly the same as Duffy successfully made last year. Attack is his forte, making line breaks, setting up and scoring tries and in recent seasons scoring hasn’t exactly been our strength.

Jackson, yes I include the lock in the spine, his defence is second to none, hopefully with the gains up front he won’t have to burn himself out and be more available for attack, which he is more than capable of.

JMK, injury free, he is far from the worst hooker, like all the others he relies on the big guys laying the foundation for him, getting them defence on the back foot, quick play the balls, did Napa, Atoni or Ogden provide any of that, I don’t think so.

Burton, is there a better running 5/8, and he is just barely getting started, can kick too.

Which leaves 1/2, who is going to put their hand up between Flanagan, BBO, Wakeham and Averillo and demand by their preseason form, hard training and commitment that they get the gig. Competition for spots is good and this one is hotly contested. Interesting to see who takes the opportunity.

Always a Bulldog

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
6 - 9 if Barrett can coach at all

There's only 5 teams with better rosters than us (Panthers, Storm, Souths, Manly, Cronulla).

Others we could easily finish ahead of.
Adding Parra marginally ahead of us in the Roster stakes, their spine is better than ours heading into 2022 although our forwards should almost be balanced out now, we prob have more strike in the backline.